Fractional Bar Sickness

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Fractional Bar Sickness

Postby Rastatodd » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:49 pm

I seem to purchase two kinds of fractional bars - Valcambi Suisse Combibar and the tried and true Kurr's A & M 1 gram silver bars . I don't know if this is a OCD issue or just an obsession. Does anybody else collect 1 gram silver bars and do you think it is wise? I always cost average down and reduce my cost per bar with every purchase. I am a purchaser of one here two or five there. I was thinking maybe just purchasing a 100 gram block of Valcambi Suisse to just get the cost down and be done. Any thought?
Thanks,
Todd
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Fractional Bar Sickness

Postby beauanderos » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:15 pm

you can't go wrong going the Valcambi route (if you get a good price on one). Someday (hopefully soon) one gram silver bars will be the only affordable way to invest in silver :mrgreen:

but wouldn't you cringe having to break one apart? :shock:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby John Reich » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:07 pm

Rastatodd wrote:I seem to purchase two kinds of fractional bars - Valcambi Suisse Combibar and the tried and true Kurr's A & M 1 gram silver bars . I don't know if this is a OCD issue or just an obsession. Does anybody else collect 1 gram silver bars and do you think it is wise? I always cost average down and reduce my cost per bar with every purchase. I am a purchaser of one here two or five there. I was thinking maybe just purchasing a 100 gram block of Valcambi Suisse to just get the cost down and be done. Any thought?
Thanks,
Todd

Buying silver in any form is wise!!
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Postby silverstacker » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:09 pm

I can't STAND fractional silver unless it's in a card like Val. I can understand gold and accept it into my stack but as for silver I just can't allow my stack to be humiliated with such nonsense. He he :twisted:
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:32 am

I'm in the exact same boat as Todd. I have a little velvet bag that I keep all my 1g bars in. I too buy them here or there whenever I see them, but don't really go actively looking for them. And probably over half of them are A&M 1g bars. My wife loves them even more than me! Every time I get some in the mail, she commandeers at least a couple and puts them in her jewelry box.

-THe Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rastatodd » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:18 pm

CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote:I'm in the exact same boat as Todd. I have a little velvet bag that I keep all my 1g bars in. I too buy them here or there whenever I see them, but don't really go actively looking for them. And probably over half of them are A&M 1g bars. My wife loves them even more than me! Every time I get some in the mail, she commandeers at least a couple and puts them in her jewelry box.

-THe Great

Nice to see the sickness lives in other people besides myself. Keep bagging those grams. :thumbup:
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:03 pm

I predict one gram of silver will sell for $10 before the end of this decade. :shh:
beauanderos

Postby NHsorter » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:27 pm

Don't want to totally divert the thread. But Ray, I must ask, what event triggers the ascent to a $300+ rise?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:47 pm

The premiums charged for 1 gram silver bars have gotten too high. So I have switched to 1 and 0.5 gram carded IGR gold bars as I have found what I consider a decent price on them.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:19 pm

Z00 wrote:The premiums charged for 1 gram silver bars have gotten too high. So I have switched to 1 and 0.5 gram carded IGR gold bars as I have found what I consider a decent price on them.

May I ask where you find decent prices on 1 and .5 g AU IGR bars? If you don't care to share your source I understand, I too would just like to add to the hoard :mrgreen:

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rastatodd » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:37 am

beauanderos wrote:I predict one gram of silver will sell for $10 before the end of this decade. :shh:

Ray, I hope your crystal ball holds true. I hate to think that my layout of cash would have been in vain, considering I could have been stacking one ounce silver rounds/bars instead. I have heard as a means of being able to sell a marketable amount of metal say if silver would reach $100/oz. I know that 1 gram amounts would come in handy if I was a prepper. Which I am not one of those. But it doesn't hurt to hedge ones bet.

Me I just keep cost averaging down, it's all good. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverstacker » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:10 pm

Ok so I just broke my rule about fractional silver and bought a tube of 1/2 oz buffalo rounds :shock:

Let's see where this goes
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:54 pm

I love the little A&M bars.. but Im not picky... Ill by them in silver and in gold :D
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:40 am

I own a very few 1g bars, but what is the attraction? They have such a low value, and premium over spot, for such small silver? Other than being able to say "that is cute" before storing it away, why buy them?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby InfleXion » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:45 am

I like smaller denominations so I can collect more coins for less out of pocket, but that's more of a 1 oz preference vs. 5 oz or 10 oz. Personally I don't think super small denominations are a good idea because they're harder to keep track of, and the premiums add up. I do like fractionals for gold though.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Zincanator » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:52 pm

I'm a big fan of Johnson Matthey 1 oz bars. I'm probably just another sucker, but for whatever reason the serial number makes them seem more official to me.
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:01 pm

Zincanator wrote:I'm a big fan of Johnson Matthey 1 oz bars. I'm probably just another sucker, but for whatever reason the serial number makes them seem more official to me.

I totally agree with the idea of serial numbers. It doesn't guarantee a thing, but it does make me feel more comfortable about my investments.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby silverstacker » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:08 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
Zincanator wrote:I'm a big fan of Johnson Matthey 1 oz bars. I'm probably just another sucker, but for whatever reason the serial number makes them seem more official to me.

I totally agree with the idea of serial numbers. It doesn't guarantee a thing, but it does make me feel more comfortable about my investments.

I have to agree here. A few months ago AMPEX had a crazy deal on sheets of 20 that I just couldn't pass up. When they were delivered in their pretty blue box I was hooked and satisfied to say the least.
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:08 am

Rastatodd wrote:I seem to purchase two kinds of fractional bars - Valcambi Suisse Combibar and the tried and true Kurr's A & M 1 gram silver bars . I don't know if this is a OCD issue or just an obsession. Does anybody else collect 1 gram silver bars and do you think it is wise? I always cost average down and reduce my cost per bar with every purchase. I am a purchaser of one here two or five there. I was thinking maybe just purchasing a 100 gram block of Valcambi Suisse to just get the cost down and be done. Any thought?
Thanks,
Todd

I think the premiums on one gram silver are going to be sky high. If you can't afford something like a one ounce round, you might consider looking through penny and nickel rolls instead. Yes, they take up more space and time, but you don't have to be concerned about giving someone else a huge profit. This isn't advice, just something to think about as a potential (cheaper) alternative.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Rastatodd » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:47 am

If silver was to ever come to the lofty heights of say $100/oz., a purchase of a gram in the range of $1 to $1.50 today would double your money not counting the small premuim that the gram would bring. It's like a true gamble at this point gathering such a small amount with prices this low. But the payoff could be substantial. Here's hoping. ;)
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:07 am

Rastatodd wrote:If silver was to ever come to the lofty heights of say $100/oz., a purchase of a gram in the range of $1 to $1.50 today would double your money not counting the small premuim that the gram would bring. It's like a true gamble at this point gathering such a small amount with prices this low. But the payoff could be substantial. Here's hoping. ;)

I don't think there's any gamble involved at all (I have a small sack of them). If it requires hyperinflation to raise the price of silver to lofty levels (my own thinking is around $500 an ounce) than the pool of potential investors will shrink exponentially. Sure, the people who are rich nowadays will always be able to purchase larger sized bars... but the Average Joe on the street might just find that one gram bars are all he can afford. :shock: You can't go wrong buying small, especially if you can capitalize by buying stuff with only a small premium. :thumbup:
beauanderos

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:29 am

But in hyperinflation the 1 gram bar is only going to buy a tiny amount of groceries or what have you = it is the money that gets worthless not the silver that becomes priceless.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rastatodd » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:01 am

Can we compare buying small silver now to what is happening to gold. It was easier to purchase a 1 oz. gold bar when gold traded at $300/oz as to when gold traded at it's height of $1900. When that high price was achieved the mints/refiners started to kick out every imaginable small portion even the minute 1 grain. People with not a huge amount of money to spend on gold can afford at least a small portion of the pot of gold. So may be silver will follow suite, we'll see. I believe if I invest a small portion of the pm budget in small fractional metal and hold, time will be on my side. I'm crossing my fingers as I am writing this. :D
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:30 am

JadeDragon wrote:But in hyperinflation the 1 gram bar is only going to buy a tiny amount of groceries or what have you = it is the money that gets worthless not the silver that becomes priceless.

your point being? I'm saying that with hyperinflation, or without it... most people will only be able to afford the smallest incremental silver available.
Heck, most people can't afford it now :sick: I doubt that 60% of the population could budget $10 a week for precious metals as we speak.
beauanderos

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:15 pm

There are people that can't afford it for real but mostly those who can't afford PM because they just do not care. My parents, siblings, inlaws and nearly everyone I know well enough to know if they stack PM don't buy PM. My wife never thought about PM and still only thinks they are neat-does not get the investment inflation hedge security story completely. Only a small segment of the population will ever care or understand about PM regardless of what happens.

I get fractional gold - it is as old as gold coins are. But very small fractional silver (which I own some) is illogical to me.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals