Silver - $27 going to Zero! Call your boss..beg for job back

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Silver is now $17 - L@@KING G@@D

Postby Sullysullinburg » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:55 pm

Silver just went of the deep end change the title again!!
Sullysullinburg
Penny Collector Member

Re: Silver is now $17 - L@@KING G@@D

Postby barrytrot » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:09 pm

Wow. That hills and valleys lately!
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Silver is now $16 again - L@@KING N@RMAL

Postby SoFa » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:09 am

Silver rallying over $17

....and it's gone!
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Re: Silver is now $16 again - L@@KING N@RMAL

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:06 am

74.2 GSR.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Re: Silver is Back @ $15

Postby barrytrot » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:32 pm

Aren't metals supposed to be "stable investments"? This is crazy oscillation!
barrytrot

Postby brian0918 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:48 pm

It's not the metal that's oscillating. It's the currencies.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:52 pm

barrytrot wrote:Aren't metals supposed to be "stable investments"? This is crazy oscillation!

That's the point. PMs have likely been manipulated over the past three years in an attempt to sully their reputation as stable investments in a risk-on environment. This drives all the nervous money back into dollar denominated investments.

Who knows. Perhaps the same thing is being done to the Ruble.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby brian0918 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:13 pm

Why is it easier to believe that the price of PMs is somehow being manipulated downward, than to believe that almost everyone considers the dollar to be the safest bet on the planet?

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Robert Hanlon
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:33 pm

I think each condition feeds into the other. The fact PMs (particularly silver) is viewed as "unstable" supports the "safe haven" status of the dollar. On the other hand the fact that the dollar is stronger vs. most other currencies makes PMs that much easier to manipulate.

I don't have the expertise to point to a smoking gun that proves PM manipulation. However, if you view what has happened over the last three years** using the standard of motive, means and opportunity, it is logical to conclude that significant manipulation is highly likely to have occurred. In fact, I tend to view our current Federal Reserve System as one giant price fixing mechanism.

If you want to get away with graft and corruption it must either be too small to be noticed or too large to be seen.

**The most obvious examples are the large paper sell orders that show up during thin (or low volume) trading times. (Sunday evenings for example).
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:32 am

And silver is taking another $0.40+ free fall. We'll see where this one lands.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:45 pm

Guys, its a gift that won't last forever. Stack, stack, stack. Check the price of gold in RUBLES! (I know its a silver thread but couldn't find a chart). Gold is up 75% on the year in RUBLES! Up 14% in YEN! Up 11% in EUROS! Crazy stuff. We Americans because of the petro-dollar default of the world have cheap silver and gold available to us.

Keep stacking please!!!!!!!!!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:14 am

silverflake wrote:Guys, its a gift that won't last forever. Stack, stack, stack. Check the price of gold in RUBLES! (I know its a silver thread but couldn't find a chart). Gold is up 75% on the year in RUBLES! Up 14% in YEN! Up 11% in EUROS! Crazy stuff. We Americans because of the petro-dollar default of the world have cheap silver and gold available to us.

Seen this post 9 days ago and its funny how my mind keeps pinging on the notion of the USD being the prettiest girl in the room.

Its not that silver or gold are in the dumps. Its not that the USD is strong and valued high. The other currencies and state of affairs of international bodies are just more wishy washy than we are.

Greece is a mess.....waiting for a break from the EU. :shh:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:39 am

Rodebaugh wrote:
silverflake wrote:Guys, its a gift that won't last forever. Stack, stack, stack. Check the price of gold in RUBLES! (I know its a silver thread but couldn't find a chart). Gold is up 75% on the year in RUBLES! Up 14% in YEN! Up 11% in EUROS! Crazy stuff. We Americans because of the petro-dollar default of the world have cheap silver and gold available to us.

Seen this post 9 days ago and its funny how my mind keeps pinging on the notion of the USD being the prettiest girl in the room.

Its not that silver or gold are in the dumps. Its not that the USD is strong and valued high. The other currencies and state of affairs of international bodies are just more wishy washy than we are.

Greece is a mess.....waiting for a break from the EU. :shh:

Agreed.

Problem is that the USD gets prettier as the rest falter. During that time, PMs take a big hit. It's only when the world realizes that the USD isn't that pretty that we see a revaluation in PMs. And, at that time, you don't want any dollar denominated assets. Draining...

Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:36 am

Yep. PMs *might* go down still further if the Euro tanks in advance of anything else, and the USD continues to rise. But no matter - buy PMs while they are cheap (in USD) and while you can get them. This isn't going to last forever. The USD is only pretty because her make-up is on thick, the dance hall is dark, and the easy choices are even uglier. When the party is over the lights go on, anyone going home with the USD is going to wake-up regretting it!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby theo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:35 pm

+1 Add some alcohol (i.e. market insanity) and you are spot on!!
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:40 am

My cost basis is $16. Woulda/Coulda/Shoulda sold in the high $40's and bought it back later... oh well, who knew. :(

When Ag was in the $30's and $40's, many gurus (and stackers) were saying if it ever did fall to $15, there wouldn't be any left to buy :lol: They are the same people who claim there are silver shortages, which have been proven to be completely bogus. These are just bullion dealer marketing ploys to get you to buy more silver.

TPTB are manipulating PM prices... there's no doubt about that. There are many reasons how and why, but it's very blatant and easy to see.

It's a gift at these prices, but IMO Ag is still headed lower. Bottom should occur around the $12-13 area, possibly $10. Buy whenever possible, but don't blow your load all at once. It could be a very l-o-n-g time before Ag gets anywhere near $50 again.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:18 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:. When Ag was in the $30's and $40's, many gurus (and stackers) were saying if it ever did fall to $15, there wouldn't be any left to buy :lol: .

There will almost always be sellers at ANY price because of the three D's (death, divorce, and desperation- i.e., someone being near bankruptcy). Look at this website- there are individuals selling who are not dealers even at these so-called low prices. Can you imagine how hard it would be to be a coin dealer if you had no sellers to buy from when things got cheap?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:57 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:. When Ag was in the $30's and $40's, many gurus (and stackers) were saying if it ever did fall to $15, there wouldn't be any left to buy :lol: .

There will almost always be sellers at ANY price because of the three D's (death, divorce, and desperation- i.e., someone being near bankruptcy). Look at this website- there are individuals selling who are not dealers even at these so-called low prices. Can you imagine how hard it would be to be a coin dealer if you had no sellers to buy from when things got cheap?

Just the other day my LCS guy was complaining about how no one wants to sell to him, especially gold.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby silverstacker » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:04 pm

I might be too inexperienced but why is silver per ounce higher in different parts of the world? It would seem to me that silver is silver and should have a set price around the whole world. Are we talking paper here or actual physical?
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Catfish4u » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:00 pm

Currency fluctuations. Silver is priced in U.S. dollars and the Ruble has lost much of its value vs the dollar.
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby henrysmedford » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:40 am

$16.02 right now.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Silver is $16

Postby Saabman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:48 am

@17.01 now........
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:08 am

Oh well... it was fun while it lasted. :(
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:11 am

Don't despair just yet.

Interesting that we're seeing a change in PM trend vs some indices. Now while usd is going up PMs are going up. But oil is going down.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Re: Silver is $17

Postby Country » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:48 am

Downish January in equity market reminds me of the beginning of 2000. Everyone was thinking it could go nowhere but up. Everyone jumping in. Everyone chasing stocks. It has that feeling again. Dow was up 250, now not up at all. Could the smart people be selling into rallies?

Oil won't go to zero. I think that low may be in around $44.

PMs need to see GOLD bust through $1240 in a convincing manner to begin the next BULL higher. I believe that $1100 or so GOLD marked the end of the bear. Looking for a solid year in 2015.

My 2c. :)
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals