What the Peak of a Gold and Silver Mania might be like

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What the Peak of a Gold and Silver Mania might be like

Postby beauanderos » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:54 pm

The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What the Peak of a Gold and Silver Mania might be like

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:11 pm

kitco will publish anything :roll:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:23 pm

I don't think it's farfetched at all, on a smaller scale this is happening to me now... up 52% in my brokerage accounts last year, 43% so far this year, to this point based mostly upon bullion gains, but if the mining equities ever kick into high gear Image
beauanderos

Postby fb101 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:01 pm

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on a lot. Obviously a worst case scenario.
fb101

Postby theo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:09 pm

Some variation of this is definately possible. Most people are subject to the herd mantality. Some aspects of this article were present during the dot.com bubble in 98 and 99. Some stocks doubling and tripling in weeks, unlikely millionaires, and daytraders searching for the next hot tech stock.

One thing the article might be leaving out is the potential for mass fraud that PM mania would undoubtedly unleash. In addition to fake coins many mining companies that claim to be flush with gold would actually be closer to Mark Twain's famous description, "A hole in the ground surrounded by liars."

The most stressful thing about this PM fever for me will be when to sell. Although I believe physical gold and silver will hold much of their peak value, it is very possible that even the shares of legitimate mining companies may trade at several times their actual value. For a sell signal I think it is sensible to follow Joseph Kennedy's advice. When you start getting stock tips from the shoe shine boy (or Jim Cramer), it is time to sell.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:41 pm

when precious metals peak, it may very well coincide with a decade's low stock market Image. If so, I will buy lots and lots of Berkshire Hathaway A stock Imageand then go relax on my private island Imageand sip some intoxicating beverage Imagewhile being fanned by an exotic native girl Imageadorned with a puka shell necklace, a skimpy grass skirt, and wearing a big eager smile (ok, so I'll admit... she's probably a cannibal)Image
beauanderos

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:31 am

beauanderos wrote:when precious metals peak, it may very well coincide with a decade's low stock market Image. If so, I will buy lots and lots of Berkshire Hathaway A stock Imageand then go relax on my private island Imageand sip some intoxicating beverage Imagewhile being fanned by an exotic native girl Imageadorned with a puka shell necklace, a skimpy grass skirt, and wearing a big eager smile (ok, so I'll admit... she's probably a cannibal)Image

Sounds like a great plan for this weekend.. with the possible exception of the stock purchase. Why wait? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals