Are you addicted to gold and/or silver?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Are you addicted to gold and/or silver?

Postby SilverEye » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:03 pm

I'm addicted to deals, that's for damn sure. I get an absolute rush when I pick up metal for under spot, like I'm the smartest guy in the world, unstoppable, crushing the game. It wouldn't pain me in the least to sell my little hoard, as long as I got market for it. That would give me more of a cash stash to go seek out the next deal!
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby mongo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:56 pm

It would be much better if the dog was a Golden Retriever.He produces the gold I do the retrieving. R-R-R
mongo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Investin Cents » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:45 pm

Yes, I am addicted. But better to be addicted to AU and/or AG than to be addicted to D-E-B-T!

:D
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." - JFK - 1962

Current book: American Values - RFK Jr.; Favorite website (other than Realcent): Zerohedge.com; Favorite metals in order: Ag, Au, Pt, CuZn, CuZnSn, Cu, Ni, Al, CuNi and of course Pb encased in Cu [in various forms and sizes :)]
Investin Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby jesse1111 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:57 pm

Mostly Ag as it is more affordable and I can get a nice variety.
An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit.
jesse1111
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:09 pm

My name is KCC and I'm addicted to silver. To drill that down a little further, though, I'm addicted to the ringing tone of 2 or more silver coins coming in contact with each other.

Obviously, I don't bang 2 MS68 Morgans against each other, but any handful of junk silver presents an opportunity to harvest a tone or two. Once you've heard it, you never forget. It certainly makes the cut in my Top 10 favorite sounds.

If I could only find that as a ring tone for my cell. I'd even encourage more people to call me. I'm in too much of a frenzy now. Have to go find a couple of well-circulated Franklins to clang together. Everything will again be right with the world then......even if it's only for a little while.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby GimmeSomeSilver » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:51 pm

Addicted? That's an understatement.
GimmeSomeSilver
Penny Sorter Member

Postby brrrrt » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:32 pm

ad·dic·tion
   [uh-dik-shuhn]
noun
the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.
Origin:
1595–1605; < Latin addictiōn- (stem of addictiō ) a giving over, surrender. See addict, -ion

I have surrendered to it. That feeling we find from from getting a good deal on metal.....Victory!
brrrrt

Postby silverflake » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:41 pm

When is the next support meeting? Do we have a buddy system? How about a ...oh look, a '64 dime!!!! Er, where was I...
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby halfhunter » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:31 pm

Know Common Cents wrote:My name is KCC and I'm addicted to silver. To drill that down a little further, though, I'm addicted to the ringing tone of 2 or more silver coins coming in contact with each other.

Obviously, I don't bang 2 MS68 Morgans against each other, but any handful of junk silver presents an opportunity to harvest a tone or two. Once you've heard it, you never forget. It certainly makes the cut in my Top 10 favorite sounds.

If I could only find that as a ring tone for my cell. I'd even encourage more people to call me. I'm in too much of a frenzy now. Have to go find a couple of well-circulated Franklins to clang together. Everything will again be right with the world then......even if it's only for a little while.

Funny you should mention that . . . I have considered taking some less than perfect silver and making one of those wind chime moble things. Maybe a 1oz and ½oz .999 rounds, a couple sizes of sterling coins, some US 90% and maybe a couple of Canadian 80s, with possibly a 5oz bar as a clacker . . . Bet that baby would make some SWEET music ! ! ! :lol:

HH
halfhunter
Penny Sorter Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:57 pm

I was finally able to control my silver addiction but now copper has me hooked. It's pretty bad when you're walking out of the bank with a box of cents in one hand and another $5 in CWRs in the other and you just have to stop to pick up that penny laying on the ground in the bank parking lot. It just might be another copper. :lol:
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silver4face » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:01 am

BUMP!!! I can't help it - I have to revive this old thread because I am addicted to SILVER FOR FACE!!!!! Been buying war nickels and half dollars for face for years. If you factor in the gas, I am paying more than face. HOWEVER, I also sell copper pennies for profit which effectively brings the silver back down to face.

Now that I have reopened this thread, perhaps some other newer members will chime in.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pmbug » Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:47 pm

There is just something innately satisfying about holding a dense chunk of precious metal (whether silver or gold).
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu

You can find me ranting at clouds on pmbug.com.
pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:29 pm

pmbug wrote:There is just something innately satisfying about holding a dense chunk of precious metal (whether silver or gold).

I don't have any 1000oz bars, but I have stacked and held ten 100oz bars to see what it would feel like. Almost gave me a hernia!
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:50 am

Can't believe that I didn't respond to the original posting.

I don't know how to quantify addiction vs. intelligently saving for a "rainy day". That said, I do something different regarding coins. When I travel, I purposely seek out banks to try and get silver halves and coin dealers to see if they have anything in their bargain bins. I have a spreadsheet at home with a couple thousand entries of trips to banks with their addresses so I can see which ones do better over time.

Is it an addiction? Hmmm. I acknowledge that it is likely considered extreme. And, yes, some day I'd like to be able to say that I went to banks in all 50 states. Then, at an even later date, I'd like to be able to say I found SILVER in all 50 states. THAT WOULD REALLY BE TOUGH TO DO!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Silver4face » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:55 am

Steve, if you are serious about finding silver in all 50 states, you might want to (or have to!) buy a box or two of nickels. All it takes is one little war nickel to get that state on the list. Or are you going to modify this to a HALF DOLLAR list?
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:07 pm

Silver4face wrote:Steve, if you are serious about finding silver in all 50 states, you might want to (or have to!) buy a box or two of nickels. All it takes is one little war nickel to get that state on the list. Or are you going to modify this to a HALF DOLLAR list?

If you saw my spreadsheet, you’d realize what a pain it would be to modify it to anything other than halves. Thx for the thought though.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals