Are you addicted to gold and/or silver?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Are you addicted to gold and/or silver?

Postby kidman232 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:56 pm

do you think at times you buy more than you should and maybe short cut other aspects of your life to make up for these purchases? do you feel bad when you dont have anything incoming in the mail or a purchase planned for the week? do you get overly upset when you get skunked roll searching or the bank has no halves? do you view this "obsession" as a good or bad thing
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Re: Are you addicted to gold and/or silver?

Postby Neckro » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:59 pm

If I don't blow it on PM's I waste it on garbage.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby corky569 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:57 pm

Yes, yes I am.
corky569
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rastatodd » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:16 pm

That is a good question. I feel that as long as at the end of the month all the bills are paid and my two daughters are not going with out. What expendable income that goes into pm is just fine. I allow myself to buy a little over say two ounces of silver a month. With the price of gold, it just isn't in my budget. To acquire some gold. I try to trade silver for gold, when ever possible. Right now I have nothing coming to me as for metals in the mail, the premiums are more than I am willing to pay. :D
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby H2SO4 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:23 pm

yes. the shinier the better.
H2SO4
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Chief » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:08 pm

I admit that I am addicted to CRH. Finding silver halves or dimes really makes my day. This year it has almost become a part time job. I trade my time and gas for silver. I am keeping every silver I find. They really do pile up. If the next 10 months are equal to what I've been pulling in the last 2 months, it will have been a great year.
Today while I was in the car, I heard a radio show talking about how to turn a hobby into something that will generate extra cash. I couldn't help but think about CRH. You turn your capital ($) into raw materials (coin) and back again. You mine the coin for silver and reinvest for more raw material.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby njoElec » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:54 pm

Am I addicted to Silver?

It's a sickness. Going to a coin shop is like daffy duck finding a pot of gold...
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 97guns » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:27 pm

i get my fix whenever silver dips, $3000 gets thrown to metal every month - all my disposable income.
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby kidman232 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:50 pm

97guns- i need to buy a handgun, any advice for a first time gun owner and what id be spending on said suggestion
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby twentybux » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:55 pm

corky569 wrote:Yes, yes I am.

Hello everyone. My name is Twentybux and I am an addict. :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:15 pm

Yes I am, I get pretty gittery if I go to get the mail and I know there is nothing on the way. I start to feel a sort of hunger and must buy another shiny chunk of wealth preservation. However, it is more of a managed disease because I feed the addiction by selling stuff on e-bay and using my paypal account funds to buy more. I don't have a problem selling my metal if it is well over spot and the profits are big enough but then I want to get more with the proceeds.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby justj2k78 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:59 pm

Addicted? Not sure I'd call it that, but I do enjoy the heck out of stacking. But no, I pay my bills, feed my family, fund my retirement accounts, put some $$ away for a rainy day, and I buy silver with the little extra I have. I like to buy a few ounces of silver each month, but when the opportunity presents itself, I'll buy more.
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby halfhunter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:24 pm

Sure, I'll admit it . . . I am an addict ! ! ! :oops:

Mostly addicted to this kinda stuff:

Anyone else here love the ol'OBWs?

HH
halfhunter
Penny Sorter Member

Postby lance » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:06 am

Im def addicted...but in reality its money in the bank...i use to blow money on modding my lexus...audi...350z.etc...i now drive a older camry and its paid for and regret the nice cars i owned...wish i would of invested a long time ago
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby dakota1955 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:10 am

yes but I can quit if I had to
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby zerocd » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:40 am

two Canadian Kilo coins (2008 $250 face) plus a Cougar, a banned $10 Liberty Dollar ounce and some JM rounds made for a local bank pop up for $34/toz when silver was $35 a few days back. Just got paid and hadn't paid my bills.

Of course I bought them. The Kilos were in original packages in NGC PF69 Airtights. No brainer. They sell for much more if you can even find them.

Had to borrow from Mrs. 0CD to cover my bills......

How could you call that addicted?

Lucky to have the Mrs. On Board!

0CD
zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverflake » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:50 pm

Hi, my name is 'silverflake'. {All reply: "Hi silverflake"} I am a silver addict. {supportive clap}

It started innocently enough, with me pulling a couple of pre-64 Roosevelt dimes from my change on my paper route - yeah, thats right - paper route. I was young, they were so small. And shiny. And the sound they made when I jingled them in my hand. They were only dimes, right? But sure enough that led to grabbing a couple of 40% halves from the same source - paper route change. Pretty soon, I needed a more reliable source. Asking around, I found my dealer - a mail order coin store - CURSES! I quickly moved up the scale until within a short time I was into, gulp, Morgan silver dollars. I started doing anything to trade federal reserve notes for these blazing cartwheels. I even sold, give me strength, my baseball cards to get some.

Now, I am an adult, with children of my own. And still the fever is there but now there's so many products available to the silver junkie. Silver eagles, Maple Leafs (oooOOooh, Maple leafs...) Libertads, bars, rounds...how can I be blamed? And here I sit and type my story to you realcenters. Do I need help?

Back to reality - Keep stacking gang. Feed the madness, keep the faith.
Advice from silverflake - embrace the addiction...
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby halfhunter » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:01 pm

zerocd wrote:two Canadian Kilo coins (2008 $250 face) plus a Cougar, a banned $10 Liberty Dollar ounce and some JM rounds made for a local bank pop up for $34/toz when silver was $35 a few days back. Just got paid and hadn't paid my bills.

Of course I bought them. The Kilos were in original packages in NGC PF69 Airtights. No brainer. They sell for much more if you can even find them.

0CD

Sometimes we addicts have to S-T-R-E-T-C-H a little when those too-good-to-miss deals come around.
Especially those that we know are an immediate flip for a nice profit.
Problem is I all too often fall in love with the newly found shiny & just can't bring myself to let it go . . .

But somehow the bills always get paid, and I haven't gone hungry . . . YET ! ! ! :D

HH
halfhunter
Penny Sorter Member

Postby zerocd » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:14 pm

halfhunter wrote:
zerocd wrote:two Canadian Kilo coins (2008 $250 face) plus a Cougar, a banned $10 Liberty Dollar ounce and some JM rounds made for a local bank pop up for $34/toz when silver was $35 a few days back. Just got paid and hadn't paid my bills.

0CD

Sometimes we addicts have to S-T-R-E-T-C-H a little when those too-good-to-miss deals come around.
Especially those that we know are an immediate flip for a nice profit.
Problem is I all too often fall in love with the newly found shiny & just can't bring myself to let it go . . .

But somehow the bills always get paid, and I haven't gone hungry . . . YET ! ! ! :D

HH

I live a "loaves and fishes" existence and yes, we had just enough. And that, is one hellava story because I've been doing it for 39 years.
zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Silver Addict » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:15 pm

Maybe :? :shock:
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:33 pm

Ask yourself this: "Would I buy an ASE plucked from a dog turd at a dollar under spot?"

If your answer was any of the following, you might be addicted
-All day
-Untill I run out of money
-Is there any more in there?
-With both hands
-Heck, I'd pay spot
-Is the dog for sale?
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Saabman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:21 am

Rodebaugh wrote:Ask yourself this: "Would I buy an ASE plucked from a dog turd at a dollar under spot?"

-All day
-With both hands
-Heck, I'd pay spot
-Is the dog for sale?

LMAO!!!!!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby DuckTales253 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:53 am

Rodebaugh wrote:Ask yourself this: "Would I buy an ASE plucked from a dog turd at a dollar under spot?"

-All day
-With both hands
-Heck, I'd pay spot
-Is the dog for sale?

YES! All of the above!
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Postby AFModell » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:43 pm

So is it safe to assume the dog "produced" the ASE? Thats a valuable dog.
AFModell
Penny Pincher Member

Postby H2SO4 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:10 pm

halfhunter wrote:Sure, I'll admit it . . . I am an addict ! ! ! :oops:

Mostly addicted to this kinda stuff:

Anyone else here love the ol'OBWs?

HH

YES! OBW are awesome. Wish I had more of them or found a good place to pick them up!
H2SO4
Penny Pincher Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals