Found a JFK gold medal today

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Found a JFK gold medal today

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:07 am

Hi everyone,

While sorting I found a JFK gold medal today.

It looks like this. http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/ ... -1763.aspx

I believe it is the middle sized coin. It weights 10.6 grams which converts to .33-.34 ounces. They say its 90% gold.

highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Re: Found a JFK gold medal today

Postby NHsorter » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:11 am

sweet!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:22 am

:shock: Unbelievable!
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:51 am

Wow, wonder how many of those exist? Any idea what a value outside of melt would be? What were you sorting when you found it?
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:58 am

hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:49 am

hobo finds wrote:not sure if this is the one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-F-KENNEDEY ... 0666558811

Thats what it looks like but without a size refrence I can't tell if its the same one or not. Looking at the link I posted in the first post it looks like there was 3 sizes made.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Saabman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:49 am

Awesome!!!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:54 am

highroller4321 wrote:
hobo finds wrote:not sure if this is the one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-F-KENNEDEY ... 0666558811

Thats what it looks like but without a size refrence I can't tell if its the same one or not. Looking at the link I posted in the first post it looks like there was 3 sizes made.

That ebay page says it is 1" diameter.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:55 am

Wish I could find some mintage numbers on these!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:56 am

brian0918 wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:

That ebay page says it is 1" diameter.

Then yes thats it! I highly doubt its worth $2700 though. Melt is around $520ish
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:04 pm

Sorting? Sorting! Sorting what... Copper Catcher's Mystery Box? :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby creshka46 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:07 pm

beauanderos wrote:Sorting? Sorting! Sorting what... Copper Catcher's Mystery Box? :lol:

Yeah, what were you sorting, quarters?
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:14 pm

That is sweet! Let some of that luck come my way!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:13 pm

creshka46 wrote:
beauanderos wrote:Sorting? Sorting! Sorting what... Copper Catcher's Mystery Box? :lol:

Yeah, what were you sorting, quarters?

It was quarters.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:42 pm

blackrabbit wrote:That is sweet! Let some of that luck come my way!

If you did the volume of sorting that Adam does....

well... try sorting a million times what you do now and maybe you'll find what he does. :shock:
beauanderos

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:05 pm

i would contact a high-end auction house that specializes in coins. its a pretty interesting piece historically, and they could probably bring more money than ebay. the JFK library you linked to might have more information about them as well - if you found one in circulation, and they put up a page on the web, they must get this question with some frequency.

p.s. some of you young ones might not appreciate it, but Kennedy was responsible for the Berlin airlift. the commies encircled berlin, and Kennedy dropped food and supplies from planes until they relented. he gave a famous speech in which he said, "I am a Berliner." He got his German wrong, though, and basically said he was a jelly donut. anyway, there is some historical significance to these pieces.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Aqualung48 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:39 pm

p.s. some of you young ones might not appreciate it, but Kennedy was responsible for the Berlin airlift. the commies encircled berlin, and Kennedy dropped food and supplies from planes until they relented. he gave a famous speech in which he said, "I am a Berliner." He got his German wrong, though, and basically said he was a jelly donut. anyway, there is some historical significance to these pieces.

Truman was responsible for the Berlin Airlift. JFK was democratic congressman at the time. His German "Ich bin ein Berliner" is proper. How do you get jelly donut out of that?
Aqualung48
Penny Sorter Member

Postby sparechange » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:13 pm

That is one great find--Congrats!!
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:23 pm

Dear Urban Legends:

I have heard and read from several different sources the story that John F. Kennedy made a major German language blunder in his famous "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech in Berlin, Germany. The story goes that he should have said "Ich bin Berliner" ("I am a citizen of Berlin"), and that "Ich bin ein Berliner" really means "I am a jelly doughnut." (A "Berliner" is in fact a type of jelly doughnut made in Berlin.) One of my German instructors even claimed this is true, and I once saw it published in a major American magazine, although I forget which one.

Several years ago when I visited Germany, I found myself having drinks with a German journalist who struck me as fairly intelligent, so I asked her the question. She said that it is certainly not true. President Kennedy said the phrase absolutely correctly, although possibly with a thick American accent. It seems that the German language is simply not that trivial — it has subtleties that very few non-native speakers grasp. She said that if President Kennedy had said "Ich bin Berliner," he would have sounded silly because with his heavy accent he couldn't possibly have come from Berlin. But by saying "Ich bin ein Berliner," he actually said "I am one with the people of Berlin." This is her exact translation as best I can remember it.

I believe, although someone would have to verify it, that President Kennedy actually didn't know German very well, if at all. He had a German journalist translate the phrase for him, and that journalist coached him at length on exactly how to say the phrase.

Dear Reader:

Your friend, the journalist, was on the mark. Notwithstanding reports to the contrary in venues as prestigious as the New York Times and Newsweek magazine, this is truly The Gaffe That Never Was. Experts say Kennedy's grammar was flawless when he uttered those words on June 26, 1963. The phrase was translated for him by a professional interpreter.

Parenthetically, it's true that in some parts of Germany the word Berliner can just as well denote a certain kind of jelly-filled pastry as a citizen of Berlin, but look at it this way: if I were to tell a group of Americans that my editor is a New Yorker, would any of them really think I'd confused him with the weekly magazine of the same name?

Laying decades of misinformation to rest, linguist Jürgen Eichhoff undertook a concise grammatical analysis of Kennedy's statement for the academic journal Monatshefte in 1993. "'Ich bin ein Berliner' is not only correct," Eichhoff wrote, "but the one and only correct way of expressing in German what the President intended to say."

An actual Berliner would say, in proper German, "Ich bin Berliner." But that wouldn't have been the correct phrase for Kennedy to use. The indefinite article "ein" is required, Eichhoff explained, to express a metaphorical identification between subject and predicate. Otherwise, the speaker could be taken to say he is literally a citizen of Berlin, which was not Kennedy's intention.

To give another example, the German sentences "Er ist Politiker" and "Er ist ein Politiker" both mean "He is a politician," but they're understood by German speakers as different statements with different meanings. The first means, more exactly, "He is (literally) a politician." The second means "He is (like) a politician." You would say of Barack Obama, "Er ist Politiker." But you would say of an organizationally astute coworker, "Er ist ein Politiker."

So, while the proper way for a Berlin resident to say "I am a Berliner" is "Ich bin Berliner," the proper way for a non-resident to say he's a Berliner in spirit is precisely what Kennedy said: "Ich bin ein Berliner." In spite of the fact that it can also be the correct way to say "I am a jelly donut," no adult German speaker could possibly have misunderstood Kennedy's meaning in context, or regarded it as a mistake.

The translator

The man who actually translated the words into German for JFK is was Robert Lochner, the son of Associated Press correspondent Louis P. Lochner. The younger Lochner, educated in Berlin and a fluent speaker of German, was Kennedy's official interpreter on his visit to Germany. Lochner translated the phrase on paper then rehearsed it with JFK in Berlin Mayor Willy Brandt's office right up to the moment the speech was to be delivered.

We can be thankful, in the interests of international peace and harmony, that the president was well-coached that day before addressing his audience in their native tongue. Otherwise, God forbid, he might have stood before the German people and claimed to be a croissant. Quelle horreur!

Perpetuating the myth:
Following are examples of the "I'm a jelly donut" tale making the rounds in the media and on the Internet in recent years:

•The Jelly Doughnut
Anonymous pundit says: "His slip-up was overlooked. Can you imagine today how the media would respond if Dan Quayle tried to get away with that one?"

•A Berliner Remembers...
Margit Hosseini, who heard the speech as a young girl, claims she laughed at Kennedy's reference to a "pancake." Apparently she was the only one who did.

•And Yes, Even CNN...
Website Blurb: "Unfortunately he was not only saying 'I am a Berliner," he was also saying 'I am a jelly doughnut'..."
beauanderos

Postby hobo finds » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:29 pm

Mmmm... Donuts
hobo finds

Postby Engineer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:56 am

Nice score!
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SilverChaser111 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:57 am

Amazing Find!! That's incredible...

I don't even sort quarters due to how many skunk boxes/bags I come across compared to dimes, nickels, halves, etc... You may have just given me the motivation to add them back into the mix :lol:
SilverChaser111
Penny Sorter Member

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:38 am

SilverChaser111 wrote:Amazing Find!! That's incredible...

I don't even sort quarters due to how many skunk boxes/bags I come across compared to dimes, nickels, halves, etc... You may have just given me the motivation to add them back into the mix :lol:

Quarters are normally pretty tough. I average 1 silver per $4,000 sorted.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby brian0918 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:41 am

highroller4321 wrote:Quarters are normally pretty tough. I average 1 silver per $4,000 sorted.

So now what's your gold average for quarters? :)
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby DirtyFingers » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:18 am

Great find Adam! Keep us posted about it please.

As to the myth about JFK's speech, well, it is simply that....a myth. I was in the Berlin Brigade, 94th Artillery, seven
years after Kennedy's famous speech and I had many opportunities to speak with Comrades from both West Berlin
and the "zone" (West Germany) who attended the speech and not once did anybody mention the jelly doughnut myth. They spoke of him in glowing tones and deep respect. Even the Zone Germans who mainly spoke low German understood him
perfectly.
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals