Insuring PM's in Homeowner's policy?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Insuring PM's in Homeowner's policy?

Postby Investin Cents » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:39 pm

Forgive if this topic has been covered (I searched but found few if nay articles that talk about this) but what is the general consensus on paying for an extra policy (a rider) on a homeowner's policy to specifically cover loss (due to theft, etc.) of personal Precious Metal items?

Good idea? Bad? Reasons either way?

I am considering it but don't know much about it. I tend to say "No" and just insure it myself, with my wits, and more. I also don't want anyone else to know the extent (I just have a few coins, of course! ;) ) of my holdings.

Was considering doing a poll on this, unless someone can direct me to previous discussions.

What say you all??? Thanks! :wave:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." - JFK - 1962

Current book: American Values - RFK Jr.; Favorite website (other than Realcent): Zerohedge.com; Favorite metals in order: Ag, Au, Pt, CuZn, CuZnSn, Cu, Ni, Al, CuNi and of course Pb encased in Cu [in various forms and sizes :)]
Investin Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Insuring PM's in Homeowner's policy?

Postby BamaJoe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:43 pm

I looked into once some time ago and the insurance company wanted a detailed inventory, 3rd party appraisal and it was rather pricey also.

I decided the cost of a good shovel was not only cheaper, but more private.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby brian0918 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:05 pm

And if the federal government decides to confiscate again, you will have provided them a detailed inventory of what's to be had at your address.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:26 am

Shhhhh!! The fewer people who know about your stash, the longer you may get to keep it.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Numis Pam » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:40 am

Mum's the word!!! Mute your mouth! :shh:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:15 am

I wish mine would have been insured when they were lost in that boating accident...
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:26 am

I've thought about insuring mine as well...just in case. But then again, why should I give a third party a detailed inventory of what I have? (Not that I have ANYTHING). It would be better to keep it private. Could the government confiscate PM's? I don't know. There are a number of possible scenarios...but I believe most of us would know what to do in that instance, right? :o
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Bluegill » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:07 pm

Save your money and self insure. Making a detailed list of what you have for the government to access is not smart.

I
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby jacer333 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:54 pm

brian0918 wrote:And if the federal government decides to confiscate again, you will have provided them a detailed inventory of what's to be had at your address.

Boom. +1
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slvrbck » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:25 am

Ya something about that just doesnt seem like a good idea at all. The less people know about your stash the better. Unless you have ALOT of pm's they are generally easy to hide where nobody will find them (hidden safe, burried, attic). Lock em up or hide em in a good spot and put the money you would be spending on an insurance policy into more silver. I also happen to highly dislike insurance companies and only insure what i HAVE to.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:11 am

Just my two cents here:

I worry more about someone slipping on an icy sidewalk or being forced to shoot a burglar than about PMs. Unless you're too poor to bother suing, liability insurance makes much more sense than insuring things. Keeping a million dollar plus liability rider forces the insurance companies to go to bat for you rather than having to pay to defend yourself against the family of an armed thug who wound up at the wrong end of a shotgun...or even a sue-happy stooge who claims neck pain after pretending to fall down on your property. If you lose that sort of court case, the judge can not only take everything you currently have, but everything you'll have the the future as well.

Coins can be re-refined in the event of a fire or replaced if stolen, but having the rest of your future earnings and assets legally stolen would really hurt.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:17 am

Engineer wrote:Just my two cents here:

I worry more about someone slipping on an icy sidewalk or being forced to shoot a burglar than about PMs. Unless you're too poor to bother suing, liability insurance makes much more sense than insuring things. Keeping a million dollar plus liability rider forces the insurance companies to go to bat for you rather than having to pay to defend yourself against the family of an armed thug who wound up at the wrong end of a shotgun...or even a sue-happy stooge who claims neck pain after pretending to fall down on your property. If you lose that sort of court case, the judge can not only take everything you currently have, but everything you'll have the the future as well.

Coins can be re-refined in the event of a fire or replaced if stolen, but having the rest of your future earnings and assets legally stolen would really hurt.

The cop who lives next door tells me IF I ever do shoot an intruder to do two things:

First: Empty the gun into the intruder. You are in fear for your life, and even an unconscious, wounded intruder can revive and still kill you. Don't reload, and shoot more. Don't go get another gun and shoot again. That shows premeditation and you can get set up for murder!

Second: Immediately sue the surviving family for violating your civil rights. That beats them to the punch.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:39 am

Engineer wrote:Unless you're too poor to bother suing, liability insurance makes much more sense than insuring things. Keeping a million dollar plus liability rider forces the insurance companies to go to bat for you rather than having to pay to defend yourself against the family of an armed thug who wound up at the wrong end of a shotgun...or even a sue-happy stooge who claims neck pain after pretending to fall down on your property.

What's the cheapest you could find such a million dollar liability insurance for? Would it cover you if you ran a business out of your home as well, and someone tried to sue you for a business activity, or not?
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:26 pm

brian0918 wrote:
Engineer wrote:Unless you're too poor to bother suing, liability insurance makes much more sense than insuring things. Keeping a million dollar plus liability rider forces the insurance companies to go to bat for you rather than having to pay to defend yourself against the family of an armed thug who wound up at the wrong end of a shotgun...or even a sue-happy stooge who claims neck pain after pretending to fall down on your property.

What's the cheapest you could find such a million dollar liability insurance for? Would it cover you if you ran a business out of your home as well, and someone tried to sue you for a business activity, or not?

I pay around $230 a year for mine. Having it though requires you to max your libility out on your underlying policies, which is higher coverage, hence more expensive.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby baggerman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:16 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

The cop who lives next door tells me IF I ever do shoot an intruder to do two things:

First: Empty the gun into the intruder. You are in fear for your life, and even an unconscious, wounded intruder can revive and still kill you. Don't reload, and shoot more. Don't go get another gun and shoot again. That shows premeditation and you can get set up for murder!

Second: Immediately sue the surviving family for violating your civil rights. That beats them to the punch.

I was told by an ex special forces officer, ex deputy, ex municipal judge and current firearms instructor that 3 things should be said/done if one is to have to shoot a douchbag.
1) State "He/She was going to kill me" NOT I was afraid, NOT I thought he/she was going to kill me.
2) Immediately after that statement should be "I want to speak to an attorney" This stops ALL further questioning
3) Go see a shrink or clergy as soon as possible as this can show your remorse if/when you end up in court.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:02 pm

brian0918 wrote:What's the cheapest you could find such a million dollar liability insurance for? Would it cover you if you ran a business out of your home as well, and someone tried to sue you for a business activity, or not?

My umbrella policy is around $200/year and covers professional liability as well as personal. They do require me to carry $300K auto liability which costs an extra $50/year over the minimum. If you had a lousy driving record, it could add up though.

It all adds up to the equivalent of an hour of a lawyer's time per year. When you consider that even an easy court case can cost fifty or more hours of legal billing, it's pretty cheap.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:09 pm

Engineer wrote:
brian0918 wrote:What's the cheapest you could find such a million dollar liability insurance for? Would it cover you if you ran a business out of your home as well, and someone tried to sue you for a business activity, or not?

My umbrella policy is around $200/year and covers professional liability as well as personal. They do require me to carry $300K auto liability which costs an extra $50/year over the minimum. If you had a lousy driving record, it could add up though.

What company is yours through? I'm needing liability coverage for a firearms transfer business out of my home (not sales, just FFL), but the NRA endorsed agency quoted 700/yr minimum. :thumbdown:
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:38 pm

I'm not worried if someone sues me....I'll just pay them 5 bucks a month! :lol:

Sadly, our society has become sue happy...and that just sucks. I never quite understood how an armed burglar who breaks into your home, hurts themselves...and then sues YOU, the homeowner!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:14 pm

Please people do you really know someone that was burglarized and also sued by the burglar or are we just perpetuating VERY RARE and UNUSUAL events.

We just have very quick information exchange so any "interesting" story gets out there.

So we are AWARE of the VERY RARE. That doesn't mean it's not rare.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:22 pm

I don't personally know of anyone that has experienced this. But you know how silly our justice system can be. Seems like the criminals get more rights than the victims these days.

Like someone suing McDonalds because they became too fat because of their food or how spilling hot coffee on themselves resulted in a monetary settlement. I hear stories like this once in a while.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:25 pm

Do you have an example of the "silly justice system giving more rights to criminals" or is that a gross exaggeration also?

My guess is exaggeration.

Check the stats: Public defenders, the guys "protecting" most criminals, have a record that would not compare favorably to the "Washington Generals".

Now if you want to change your statement to RICH CRIMINALS, I will agree with you. And with a lot of evidence: OJ, everyone involved with the financial crisis of 08, most of Congress, etc. Those guys are royally getting even more rich with each passing crime. Well, except OJ, since he became poor after his first major crime :)
barrytrot

Postby moparal7 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:47 pm

I knew a guy in high school that put "protective devices" around his car stereo. A thief tried to steal the stereo, cut his hands and sued the owner. I don't recall the amount but the thief was awarded compensation. Yes it does happen.
moparal7
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:30 pm

moparal7 wrote:I knew a guy in high school that put "protective devices" around his car stereo. A thief tried to steal the stereo, cut his hands and sued the owner. I don't recall the amount but the thief was awarded compensation. Yes it does happen.

Ok, so you knew a guy in high school. And this was far back enough that car stereos actually had a positive value.

Not worth worrying about if this is best example ;)

Also, my guess is the only thing that the thief had to make a court case out of was the sub-standard and based on what I know about high-schoolers probably dangerous "protective device" that was created.
barrytrot

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:49 pm

barrytrot wrote:Do you have an example of the "silly justice system giving more rights to criminals" or is that a gross exaggeration also?

Check the stats: Public defenders, the guys "protecting" most criminals, have a record that would not compare favorably to the "Washington Generals".

Now if you want to change your statement to RICH CRIMINALS, I will agree with you. And with a lot of evidence: OJ, everyone involved with the financial crisis of 08, most of Congress, etc. Those guys are royally getting even more rich with each passing crime. Well, except OJ, since he became poor after his first major crime :)

Maybe it's the rich criminals more. You can steal alot more armed with a briefcase than you can with a gun. Like I said before, it's only stories I've read or heard about. Nothing specific....date, time...etc.

What bankers have gone to jail since the bailout crisis? How about war criminals? How about companies profiting off of illegal wars? Do those people count?

How many criminals do you know get sentenced for life....only to get out in less than 20 years? I was watching a documentary the other day...and it showed this one prisoner who was robbed in jail...for his $200 pair of sneakers. Why should you get such luxury in jail? But we digress...this thread is about insuring PM's in a homeowners policy. Good discussion though.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:52 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:
barrytrot wrote:Do you have an example of the "silly justice system giving more rights to criminals" or is that a gross exaggeration also?

Maybe it's the rich criminals more. You can steal alot more armed with a briefcase than you can with a gun. Like I said before, it's only stories I've read or heard about. Nothing specific....date, time...etc.

What bankers have gone to jail since the bailout crisis? How about war criminals? How about companies profiting off of illegal wars? Do those people count?

OJ didn't do it!!!! :lol:
How many criminals do you know get sentenced for life....only to get out in less than 20 years? I was watching a documentary the other day...and it showed this one prisoner who was robbed in jail...for his $200 pair of sneakers. Why should you get such luxury in jail? But we digress...this thread is about insuring PM's in a homeowners policy. Good discussion though.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals