1099 reporting

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: 1099 reporting

Postby Thogey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:55 am

Thogey wrote:
Market Harmony wrote:As far as the hobby level coin/bullion enthusiast, the only thing that I can think of that might be an issue is if some entity DOES 1099 you... whether PayPal or some other business. Then you will have to show that income on your taxes. However, if you can show corresponding receipts (costs), then you will only have to pay taxes on just profits and not the entire revenue. The reason for the PayPal hoopla was that most individuals don't have the receipts.

My thought is that if you have $20k in revenue through PayPal, whether PM related or not, then you are conducting business activity. They will 1099 you. If it is liquidation of a collection from a hobby, which would assume that no receipts are available, then I would imagine that a tax professional needs to be contacted. If you don't like these facts, then a sale of the collection to or through another party needs to be considered.

I do have sympathy for the individual with no record of purchase, but until there is some law or code written around it, the revenue needs to be reported as profit.

Bull$hit as well.

See above response to nate.
Some of us don't want to be boiled frogs.

BTW Mike I'm not even remotely offended by your jabs at me. You can snap me with a wet towel. I'm the same way.

It's the issue and only the issue
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Thogey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:21 pm

Market Harmony wrote:Thogey. You are fighting a system. What is your proposed solution?

JESUS CHRIST MIKE!
You offered a solution in your OP!

Because it was an issue YOU care about!

Its the end of the year and I'm looking at this box of paper I have to pay someone to make go away.

That is my beef. You guys don't back me up because your opinion is that 20K and 200 transactions is reasonable.
Well maybe someone thinks regulation for 30rd magazine and 600 dollar transactions is reasonable.

See my point? Am I too cryptic. I don't have the attention span to write a f-ng book of sonnets.

I'm spending my time trying to collect money owed from M fing slow playing clients and tenants!

And on the back end I have to spread my ass for the IRS. I don't want to be an administrator WhaaaaaaH (insert crying kid)
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby hobo finds » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:27 pm

(insert crying kid

hobo finds

Postby Thogey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:32 pm

Screw you guys!

I'm going to a sword fight!

Thogey

Postby hobo finds » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:33 pm

I am only joking! You wanted an image... :lol:
hobo finds

Postby natsb88 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:35 pm

Thogey wrote:It's not apples and oranges. It's simple record keeping! I thing you should have to file the $600 1099s. Just you. only you

Well that's not vindictive at all :lol:

In the normal course of running a legitimate business using standard accounting practices you already (or should already) keep all the records necessary to support the numbers on a 1099-K from a payment processor, in which case the 1099-K adds zero new record keeping to your business activities. It's simply a check. Your total business sales for the year must be equal to or greater than the number on your 1099-K, which it will be if you properly recorded all of your sales for the year. One new paper to keep in the file cabinet each year, that's it. No new administrative burden, no new burden to your customers.

Am I jumping up and down with joy over the 1099-K? Of course not. But it's really only a problem if you are trying to run a business without actually running a business (aka cheating on your taxes), or are trying to sell an awful lot of personal assets on eBay in one calendar year.

The $600 1099 requirement, on the other hand, adds brand new record-keeping and reporting requirements, information you would not otherwise be collecting and recording in the normal course of business. 1099-MISC were already required for payments for services totaling $600 or more during the year to an unincorporated business (sole proprietor, partnership, etc). The new law expanded that to include payments to incorporated businesses, and to purchases of raw materials and merchandise for resale. In practical terms for the coin/bullion market, that means every dealer-to-dealer relationship that exceeds $600 in a year. Buy two rolls of ASEs from a dealer at a coin show? Fill out a 1099. Order silver shot from APMEX? Fill out a 1099. Buy a half ounce of gold from an eBay Store? Fill out a 1099. The eBay Store owner refuses to give you their SSN or EIN, as we can reasonably assume many or most would? Now YOU are out of compliance and held responsible.

A 1099 has five copies. You mail one to the IRS, one to the applicable state tax agency, two to the payment recipient, and one you keep for your records. Then, at the end of the year, you have to summarize all of your 1099s on a 1096. Then you need to retain and store those documents containing sensitive information for several years. This adds a huge paperwork burden to the business that did not exist before, plus you'll be receiving 1099s from all of the businesses you sold $600 to and will have to reconcile and save all of those forms. All business now have to raise prices enough to cover all the new time spent filling out paperwork, all the postage used mailing forms all over, and to store copies of all of this stuff.

There is a measurable, objective difference in the added administrative burden these two separate issues place on legitimate businesses. Apples and oranges.

Thogey wrote:I disagree with withholding btw. Do you? I'll bet not.

Withholding what? Taxes from employee paychecks? Yes I disagree, I don't like anything that places the burden of tax collection on businesses (including 1099s, withholding, and sales tax). I'm an independent contractor and anybody that does work for me is also an independent contractor, so I don't deal with any withholding. I do, however, deal with 1099s and sales taxes. That doesn't mean I advocate for them. It just means that the smart business decision is to comply with the existing laws and continue to operate and grow my business, rather than get hassled by the IRS and go to jail. If a new law comes along like the 1099 changes that were snuck into the ACA, then you certainly fight back.

Thogey wrote:You guys are apples

I'm an orange. That's all I'll write about that.

All the rhetoric in the world won't turn an apple into an orange or an orange into an apple, and neither is inherently correct. But it seems to me that you aren't looking at the bottom line, the hours and dollars and cents of compliance, how a reporting requirement ultimately affects day-to-day business. Rather you seem to be painting with a rather large philosophical brush, saying that anybody who accepts or complies with any kind of taxation or reporting requirement is a government boot-licker, girly man, boiled frog, or whatever. That's akin to saying that the recipient of a parking ticket, and a convicted murderer, are both equally criminal and must be treated as such. It's an overly simplistic viewpoint and it's not productive.

Call me a pragmatist, but I can bring myself to fight the things that place an undue burden on my business or myself, while not making myself miserable sweating the small stuff.
natsb88

Postby Thogey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:38 pm

hobo finds wrote:I am only joking! You wanted an image... :lol:

Dude it was perfect. That's how I feel. Like a powerless child.

Fencing relieves the frustration, since I'm too old to bust someone's nose wide open.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:43 pm

natsb88 wrote:
Thogey wrote:It's not apples and oranges. It's simple record keeping! I thing you should have to file the $600 1099s. Just you. only you

Well that's not vindictive at all :lol:

In the normal course of running a legitimate business using standard accounting practices you already (or should already) keep all the records necessary to support the numbers on a 1099-K from a payment processor, in which case the 1099-K adds zero new record keeping to your business activities. It's simply a check. Your total business sales for the year must be equal to or greater than the number on your 1099-K, which it will be if you properly recorded all of your sales for the year. One new paper to keep in the file cabinet each year, that's it. No new administrative burden, no new burden to your customers.

Am I jumping up and down with joy over the 1099-K? Of course not. But it's really only a problem if you are trying to run a business without actually running a business (aka cheating on your taxes), or are trying to sell an awful lot of personal assets on eBay in one calendar year.

The $600 1099 requirement, on the other hand, adds brand new record-keeping and reporting requirements, information you would not otherwise be collecting and recording in the normal course of business. 1099-MISC were already required for payments for services totaling $600 or more during the year to an unincorporated business (sole proprietor, partnership, etc). The new law expanded that to include payments to incorporated businesses, and to purchases of raw materials and merchandise for resale. In practical terms for the coin/bullion market, that means every dealer-to-dealer relationship that exceeds $600 in a year. Buy two rolls of ASEs from a dealer at a coin show? Fill out a 1099. Order silver shot from APMEX? Fill out a 1099. Buy a half ounce of gold from an eBay Store? Fill out a 1099. The eBay Store owner refuses to give you their SSN or EIN, as we can reasonably assume many or most would? Now YOU are out of compliance and held responsible.

A 1099 has five copies. You mail one to the IRS, one to the applicable state tax agency, two to the payment recipient, and one you keep for your records. Then, at the end of the year, you have to summarize all of your 1099s on a 1096. Then you need to retain and store those documents containing sensitive information for several years. This adds a huge paperwork burden to the business that did not exist before, plus you'll be receiving 1099s from all of the businesses you sold $600 to and will have to reconcile and save all of those forms. All business now have to raise prices enough to cover all the new time spent filling out paperwork, all the postage used mailing forms all over, and to store copies of all of this stuff.

There is a measurable, objective difference in the added administrative burden these two separate issues place on legitimate businesses. Apples and oranges.

Thogey wrote:I disagree with withholding btw. Do you? I'll bet not.

Withholding what? Taxes from employee paychecks? Yes I disagree, I don't like anything that places the burden of tax collection on businesses (including 1099s, withholding, and sales tax). I'm an independent contractor and anybody that does work for me is also an independent contractor, so I don't deal with any withholding. I do, however, deal with 1099s and sales taxes. That doesn't mean I advocate for them. It just means that the smart business decision is to comply with the existing laws and continue to operate and grow my business, rather than get hassled by the IRS and go to jail. If a new law comes along like the 1099 changes that were snuck into the ACA, then you certainly fight back.

Thogey wrote:You guys are apples

I'm an orange. That's all I'll write about that.

All the rhetoric in the world won't turn an apple into an orange or an orange into an apple, and neither is inherently correct. But it seems to me that you aren't looking at the bottom line, the hours and dollars and cents of compliance, how a reporting requirement ultimately affects day-to-day business. Rather you seem to be painting with a rather large philosophical brush, saying that anybody who accepts or complies with any kind of taxation or reporting requirement is a government boot-licker, girly man, boiled frog, or whatever. That's akin to saying that the recipient of a parking ticket, and a convicted murderer, are both equally criminal and must be treated as such. It's an overly simplistic viewpoint and it's not productive.

Call me a pragmatist, but I can bring myself to fight the things that place an undue burden on my business or myself, while not making myself miserable sweating the small stuff.

Good job! You completely changed my mind. You brought up points I've never considered.

I've probably been in business longer that you've been alive. Right now I have a slow player voice mailing me from Texas. I might have to have him killed!
MY BEEF IS NOT WITH THIS SPECIFIC ISSUE! ITS WITH THE IDEA OF BEING LORDED OVER BE FEDERAL IDIOTS!
Thanks for the education.
Last edited by Thogey on Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:54 pm

Nate I respect and appreciate you. We are 180 degrees out of phase on this matter. We will never agree on this and I regret bringing it up because the whole thing makes bile rise up so I can taste it. I don't want my brain to confuse the source of this anger. Let's just be friends.

love Eric
Thogey

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:17 pm

I wouldn't want to sword fight you today. You're libel to cut a man in half with a pool noodle.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby natsb88 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:23 pm

Thogey wrote:Its the end of the year and I'm looking at this box of paper I have to pay someone to make go away.

That is my beef.

Taxes suck, no question about it. But you know you have to do it, so make it easier on yourself, not harder. I have two separate business entities including one that requires a corporate capital stock tax return and I still manage to do my taxes myself in a couple of evenings. I use some basic accounting software and keep up with stuff throughout the year, then come tax time it's just a matter of running a few reports and transferring the numbers to the tax returns. No unruly boxes of papers or receipts to deal with.

Thogey wrote:Good job! You completely changed my mind. You brought up points I've never considered.

I've probably been in business longer that you've been alive. Right now I have a slow player voice mailing me from Texas. I might have to have him killed!

Thanks for the education.

If you are using cash accounting (which most small businesses do) rather than accrual accounting, then your slow payer doesn't matter. If you didn't receive and cash/deposit his payment by 12/31/15 23:59:59, then his payment will be 2016 income, not 2015 income. Doesn't matter when you gave him the invoice, it isn't income until it's paid. If you provided a service then you've likely already expensed your labor costs so there's nothing else to write off if he never pays. If you sold him something and still have it, just void the transaction and you still have the item, nothing to write off. If you sold him something, already gave it to him, can't get it back, and he won't pay, then you can write off the cost of the item as an allowance (stolen item), and I think that should be allowed in 2016 when you give up on collecting the debt, rather than in 2015 when you issued the invoice. If for some reason you are using accrual account, then disregard all of that, it gets more complicated.

I'm not an accountant or tax professional though, so take my unsolicited/unwanted advice with a large helping of salt :lol:

I've had to deal with over $10,000 in fraudulent credit card chargebacks over the last few years. I am not unfamiliar dealing with deadbeats, idiots, police, the potential for court action, and bad debts. A lot of people with a 9 to 5 think being self-employed means setting your own hours and unlimited vacation. They don't know the half of it.

I also know that there are many things I don't know, and I learn new things all the time. Years of experience can be a great thing, but I've also seen plenty of "experienced" small businesses fade away or crash and burn because they (the owners) were too oblivious or stubborn to adapt to the changing world around them. With very few exceptions, a 1995 business model doesn't work in 2016.

Thogey wrote:Nate I respect and appreciate you. We are 180 degrees out of phase on this matter. We will never agree on this and I regret bringing it up because the whole thing makes bile rise up so I can taste it. I don't want my brain to confuse the source of this anger. Let's just be friends.

love Eric

Likewise my comments are directed at the issue, not the person. Good debate is just arguing intensely without hating each other :thumbup: Besides, you'd kick my ass in a physical fight :shock:
natsb88

Postby Sanford02 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:12 pm

natsb88 wrote:A lot of people with a 9 to 5 think being self-employed means setting your own hours and unlimited vacation. They don't know the half of it.

A lot of people who are self-employed (or employed by the govt., etc) think that someone with a 9 to 5 actually works from 9 to 5.

I leave the house at 6:15 every morning and get home around 5:45, and only about an hour of that is commute time. After I feed the kids and put them to bed, I spend about 90 minutes of my evenings at home doing tasks for work....either getting caught up or prepared for the following day. That leaves very little time for working out, hobbies, or other personal/community improvement activities. What am I going to do when the kids start having homework?

The 40 (or 50) hour work week is a myth....even for us 9 to 5 folks.
Sanford02
Penny Pincher Member

Postby natsb88 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:35 pm

Sanford02 wrote:The 40 (or 50) hour work week is a myth....even for us 9 to 5 folks.

Absolutely true for a lot of folks.

The last couple months I have cut down to ~50 hours of work a week because I am spending 20+ a week doing physical work on my house. I'll be back to 70+ hour work weeks soon enough. 50 hour work weeks don't pay the bills (fast enough for my liking).
natsb88

Postby Treetop » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:57 pm

I know two different families who had hired accountants and thought they were following the laws with reporting incomes and paying taxes etc that ended up deep into the IRS naughty list. One of those two cleared it up after some headaches the other lost his company over it. To me this screams our tax code is just insane. Needs to be simpler and straight forward.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby silverstacker » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:24 pm

Treetop wrote:I know two different families who had hired accountants and thought they were following the laws with reporting incomes and paying taxes etc that ended up deep into the IRS naughty list. One of those two cleared it up after some headaches the other lost his company over it. To me this screams our tax code is just insane. Needs to be simpler and straight forward.

Title 26 is longer than the bible..literally

if you go to the US Government Printing Office ( www.gpo.gov ), you can order a complete set of Title 26 of the US Code of Federal Regulations (that's the part written by the IRS), all twenty volumes of it, at the bargain price of $974, shipping included.

According to the US Government Printing Office, it's 13,458 pages in total. The full text of Title 26 of the United States Code (the part written by Congress--available for an additional $179) is a mere 3,387 printed pages, bringing the adjusted gross page count to 16,845.

Initially it was a few pages but they continue to add new laws as the lawyers find out ways to work around the system. Therefore, when the IRS and their lawyers uncovers a "work around" they revise next years law to account for what they found. And the cycle continues year after year.

Unreal.

Simple is the way to go IMO
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:03 pm

Thogey wrote:
Market Harmony wrote:Thogey. You are fighting a system. What is your proposed solution?

JESUS CHRIST MIKE!
You offered a solution in your OP!

Because it was an issue YOU care about!

Its the end of the year and I'm looking at this box of paper I have to pay someone to make go away.

That is my beef. You guys don't back me up because your opinion is that 20K and 200 transactions is reasonable.
Well maybe someone thinks regulation for 30rd magazine and 600 dollar transactions is reasonable.

See my point? Am I too cryptic. I don't have the attention span to write a f-ng book of sonnets.

I'm spending my time trying to collect money owed from M fing slow playing clients and tenants!

And on the back end I have to spread my ass for the IRS. I don't want to be an administrator WhaaaaaaH (insert crying kid)

They did it. $600 1099 reporting threshold for ebay
Thogey

Postby Morsecode » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:29 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I've been done with the selling account on ebay since the payor changeover, but now I'll drop accepting payments for anything. Hello Craigslist!
Morsecode

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals