Physical Silver Hedge

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Physical Silver Hedge

Postby Jonflyfish » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:11 am

My charts are calling for a somewhat minor correction before inevitable higher prices.
Thus, a hedge was initiated for 70% of the physical position @ 20.45 with a stop @ 20.56 to lift this tight hedge.
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Physical Silver Hedge

Postby oober » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:30 am

The only thing I am hedging right now are my miners, I opened a position in FAZ last week and added some more today.
oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:38 am

Bumped the physical hedge to 90% @ 20.47 with the same very tight stop.
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:04 am

Fully hedged now at $20.57
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:21 am

Jonflyfish wrote:Fully hedged now at $20.57
How does this work with physical? So if the price drops below $20.57 you're in cash a hundred percent? Or you just make some money to offset your loss? If you are stopped out, and then the price runs up while you're parked in cash you have to wait sidelined all this while? I'm unclear on this. :?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Jonflyfish » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:57 pm

beauanderos wrote:
How does this work with physical? So if the price drops below $20.57 you're in cash a hundred percent? Or you just make some money to offset your loss? If you are stopped out, and then the price runs up while you're parked in cash you have to wait sidelined all this while? I'm unclear on this. :?

Beauanderos- I just take a financial short position equal to the physical quantity. So, for each ounce I retain in physical possession, an ounce is then sold short on the financial side.
Today I ended up trading it around during the volatility and left a full hedge. Worst case, I lose on the financial side while the physical side offsets the loss with an gain in value. Best case- what the financial hedge makes gets poured back out of the account to accumulate more physical. There are more complex strategies but will use just this simple physical/financial hedge strategy here.
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:
beauanderos wrote:

Beauanderos- I just take a financial short position equal to the physical quantity. So, for each ounce I retain in physical possession, an ounce is then sold short on the financial side.
Today I ended up trading it around during the volatility and left a full hedge. Worst case, I lose on the financial side while the physical side offsets the loss with an gain in value. Best case- what the financial hedge makes gets poured back out of the account to accumulate more physical. There are more complex strategies but will use just this simple physical/financial hedge strategy here.
What? Whattttt????? JPMorgan is a member of realcent??? :o
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Jonflyfish » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Shhhh....Trying to retain a Low profile here ;)
And unlike others "on the desk", I only "hedge" a fully qualified physical quantity in possession. As for the "non-hedged" trades.... :shock: :lol:
Tonight, we...err I "massaged" silver to new fully hedged price of $20.59
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:06 am

Had to work this thing around all morning.
New hedge value of 20.77
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Beau » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:23 am

when do we see the $9. one guy predicted is that in the next correction?
my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:11 pm

Beau wrote:when do we see the $9. one guy predicted is that in the next correction?

Who's that?
My forecast has been to see $22 on the recent break.
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals