Gainsville Coins: How dependable are they?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Gainsville Coins: How dependable are they?

Postby pennypicker » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:10 pm

My two local coin shops have a high premium of $2.50 over spot on generic rounds so yesterday I joined APMEX located in Oklahoma City and made a small purchase to test the waters with them. Three hours after my on-line purchase I received an email saying my order has been shipped and I was given a tracking #. So far so good with APMEX.

Gainesville Coins out of Florida has even lower spot premiums on generic rounds at .99 over spot today. But unlike APMEX who shipped immediately Gainesville shows either a (5-7 business days) or (8-10 business days) wait time before items are shipped on each of the four different styles of generic rounds I like even with a wire transfer of funds.

Has anyone had any dealings with Gainesville? And how dependable are they with respect to these 5-10 business day wait times after funds have cleared? Thanks for any replies.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Gainsville Coins: How dependable are they?

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:16 pm

I'm not going to stand up and give them my heartiest endorsement because I don't follow their policies on a regular basis so I'm not up to speed on any recent dealings, but they are considered one of the major bullion sellers and have had a pretty solid reputation. I've bought from them as recently as January, and they regularly show at the major regional shows.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:21 pm

The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:28 pm

Yeah, that does remind me that they have some strange rules and paperwork, and ID requirements that I didn't like. I think that's why I haven't run back to them.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby creshka46 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:22 pm

FYI, provident has a number of generic rounds for $0.99 over spot as well. I can't vouch for either as I've never bought from them, but I have been checking the prices lately.
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby InfleXion » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:57 pm

I have bought from APMEX, Provident, and GVC on multiple occaisons from each. However GVC is the only one I refuse to do further dealings with. Their online purchases never work for me which necessitated I call them, and they still couldn't process my card without playing hours of phone tag with them and my bank. I would consider them as a last resort if they were the only dealer that had what I was looking for and I had time to kill. I have heard worse things about them, but I have also heard far worse things about GoldMart. APMEX and Provident have always come through shining for me and they are my go to dealers. Although you can often get cheaper shipping from APMEX on eBay.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thesilvertiger » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:27 pm

Apmex and Provident have been great resources for me. I haven't even considered Gainesville based on a few negatives regarding their ordering process, although all posts I've read point to them delivering coins packaged well and in superb condition.
thesilvertiger
Penny Sorter Member

Postby pennypicker » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:43 pm

[quote="InfleXion"]but I have also heard far worse things about GoldMart.[quote]

I sincerely want to thank those who have chimed in thus far. To add to Inflexion's comment regarding Goldmart I came across a website called http://www.comparegoldandsilverprices.com which compares various bullion prices from nationally known sellers. During my comparisons I found that GoldMart in Carson City, Nevada had the lowest prices on secondary generic 1 oz rounds at just .59 cents over spot. But of course they were out of stock. But what really got my attention was all the very bad, scathing feedbacks from prior customers of Goldmart. Based on what I read it only confirms Inflexion's feelings and I'm certainly staying away from them! :thumbdown:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby jesse1111 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:41 am

I usually use Provident and pay with check. Sure they hold it but the silver arrives just as described with no problems. Currently have a handful of bull/bear generics that I got for .99 over and some Canadian dollars which are a pretty good deal imho processing.
An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit.
jesse1111
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Bham » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:58 am

I've used GV a few times over the last couple of years. I've always paid by bank wire and I've gotten together with some friends to lower the transaction costs (shipping, wire fees). I've actually had a good experience. Their shipping times are fairly accurate (nobody will ever meet the shipping times we get on RC or BS though), Ive always received my order within two weeks of the wirentransfer date. The only negative I've had is their 90%, just a tad too slick for me. The other stuff was pretty much as described. So far so good for me...
Bham
Penny Collector Member

Postby xippi » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:04 am

I have only dealt with Gainesville coins F2F at some of the local coin shows here in Mass and NH. They say there "Affiliate", There receipt is from GC if you would like one, there email it to. They use the best pricing from there web site which is nice. There is usually a couple of them working there both very friendly. They usually have alot of bullion stuff none of the other dealers have. Including tons of Perth and NZ fancy coin stuff, Lots of World silver bullion, This week they had SAE 3.75 over, Maples 2.80 over,Taku's, 13' Pandas $6 over in full sealed 30x sheets if I wanted, looks like they had 3-4+ sheets and plenty of everything else. Stack of 10x10g Valcambi silver and 100 x 1g AU. All Perth bullion including 1 KG of Kook, Koala and Snake. They usually have more gold bullion then any one else with Lots of Pamp 1g through 1oz, GAE, Gold Maples, lots of Perth gold reg and Lunar to.

Thumbs up with my experience with them. :thumbup: :thumbup: The License thing has made me think a little. :| but doesn't/didn't really bother me.

Xip
xippi
Penny Collector Member

Postby Gipper1985 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:32 am

I know this is a very old thread. Has anyone dealt with Gainsville coins recently?
Gipper1985
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:49 am

Not In a long time. They had a reputation as dependable but I didn't like the documentation requirements they had when I interacted with them. Even at a coin show and paying cash they wanted a copy of my drivers license - I said no deal.
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:42 am

68Camaro wrote:Not In a long time. They had a reputation as dependable but I didn't like the documentation requirements they had when I interacted with them. Even at a coin show and paying cash they wanted a copy of my drivers license - I said no deal.

Here would be my reaction to that...
Attachments
gold finger.jpg
gold finger.jpg (82.53 KiB) Viewed 503 times
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Gipper1985 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:44 am

I'm having a hard time getting a small order filled that was supposed to be available 9/9/22. It's been a terrible experience so far.
Gipper1985
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals