"Oh, No... I sold too soon!"

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

"Oh, No... I sold too soon!"

Postby beauanderos » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:11 pm

With the recent price rise in silver... how many of you are thinking "Oh, No... I sold too soon?" :o Or is it instead... "why didn't I buy more when the price was lower?" :? Once this silver price movement gains traction, the recent daily increases will become the norm, not the exception... and once momentum takes over you'll never have another chance to buy silver again this cheaply. :mrgreen:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: "Oh, No... I sold too soon!"

Postby coinwolf » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:21 pm

why oh why didn't I buy and coin roll hunt more!
coinwolf
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Country » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:39 pm

Remember not too long ago when we were all having sticker shock when 90% was no longer available at 10X face. We had to pay more. The solution was to have bought more at the higher price then. :)

Next year, we may all looking back on SILVER at 14X face remorseful that we did not buy more. The solution is the same, buy more at today's higher prices, even if you've got sticker shock once again. While it may be prudent to sell some metal when PM prices go higher; however, it's a matter of perspective as we live in quite a different world than just a few years ago and selling may not be the best thing to do. :?
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby DirtyFingers » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:01 pm

I've been hoarding 90% since the 1950's, starting with Peace and Morgan dollars. Been stashing very steady since then, mostly 1 and 10 troz bars for the last 25 years. For quite a while now I've played the ratios - that's the way to go! It might only happen a few times a year but when it does, it's worth it, imo. I've seen $45 - 50 silver and I think we'll see it again sometime this decade. I'm just not sure we are going to like what's going to come with it. But in the meantime, I think it's still a buy. There's still deals out there if you don't want to play the ratios.

DirtyFingers
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby Ardent Listener » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:09 pm

Times change and as much as it doesn't seem possible now, so do silver prices. :cry:
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:11 pm

beauanderos wrote:With the recent price rise in silver... how many of you are thinking "Oh, No... I sold too soon?" :o Or is it instead... "why didn't I buy more when the price was lower?" :? Once this silver price movement gains traction, the recent daily increases will become the norm, not the exception... and once momentum takes over you'll never have another chance to buy silver again this cheaply. :mrgreen:

Ray, you rubbing in that sell of walkers and mercs I made to you last month?

What a bully ;)

Joke'n aside......I agree with your post 100%
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby chris6084 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:48 pm

I sold my gold too soon. I sold a week ago. :(

And to add insult to injury, just had a silver ebay auction end way below spot. :( :( :(
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby franklin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:56 pm

I eased into conversations with 3 different folks today about precious metal prices. Each one mentioned how high gold had gone the last few months. Not one ever mentioned silver. Sometime in February, on a Friday, silver dipped a bit below $15 and, with it now approaching $21, which is an increase of roughly 40%. In a little over 6 months. When I pointed that out to one of the guys, his response was " Yeah, but since it is so cheap, you can't make any real money off of it". I gave up.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby aloneibreak » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:05 pm

franklin wrote:I eased into conversations with 3 different folks today about precious metal prices. Each one mentioned how high gold had gone the last few months. Not one ever mentioned silver. Sometime in February, on a Friday, silver dipped a bit below $15 and, with it now approaching $21, which is an increase of roughly 40%. In a little over 6 months. When I pointed that out to one of the guys, his response was " Yeah, but since it is so cheap, you can't make any real money off of it". I gave up.

sad.

some people only seem to see the actual dollar amount rather than the percentage gain.

maybe someday they'll look back and say " hey remember that crazy guy who told us how good of an investment silver was ? He was right !! " :o
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:33 am

I think it's a good time to sell some silver that one has bought on the cheap and pick up some cool more numismatically interesting silver on the cheap. When there is a spike in the silver prices people sell more on e-bay and other venues and you can find rarer coins that are worth more for close to melt. I have just sold a couple Philharmonics that I bought way back (about 2 years) when I could get them from Northwest territorial mint for 14 dollars each, people have been buying them on e-bay paying 25 dollars including the shipping the last couple of days. So even with the shipping (less than 2.50) and fees (3 bucks :evil: ) I am still doing pretty good. 8-) This bull market has some years to go I think so don't worry, you should come out ahead even if you make some mistakes!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby JustSayNoToFiat » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:05 pm

coinwolf wrote:why oh why didn't I buy and coin roll hunt more!

Amen to that....

I am kicking myself for wanting to wait till it hit 17.50 and not buying at 18.00.
JustSayNoToFiat
Penny Pincher Member

Postby misteroman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:51 pm

Twice in the last few yrs I sold over $500 face :( granted I made money but it still hurts a tad
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby BamaJoe » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:22 pm

Just wait a minute. You can SELL this shiny stuff???? You mean I've been just letting this stuff build up for almost a decade when I could have sold it? Well that's something to think about - in another decade or two.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals