Teller sold me 3 pre-64 quarters at face

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Teller sold me 3 pre-64 quarters at face

Postby Pennysaved » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:12 pm

I have a WF bank that I dump quite a bit of halves at. I was in there today and one of the tellers asked me what was I looking for and was I finding many of them. This bank wont order me halves unless I pay a fee and never seems to have any loose halves for me to buy. I figured I would go ahead and tell her that I was looking for silver ones. She kind of guessed what I was looking for silver while I was saying it. She then asked me how do you tell the difference. So, I told her to look at a regular quarter and see the copper clad layer. I then told her that you can usually tell the difference by the silver ones being all silver.

Another teller interrupted and asked me "Like these?" She had 3 washington quarters from the 50s. I asked her if she would sell them to me and she said yes. I asked her how much she wanted for them and she told me she could only sell them to me at face. So, I bought them for 75 cents. she said recently they had an older man come in with silver 1 ounce coins that were denominated in $1. He cahsed them at face and they ended up selling them to another customer at face. Since she was nice enough to sell the silver quarters to me, I asked her if she likes chocolate and of course she said yes and I went a couple shops over and bought her some dove chocolate for $3.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Teller sold me 3 pre-64 quarters at face

Postby DirtyFingers » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Pennysaved wrote:she said recently they had an older man come in with silver 1 ounce coins that were denominated in $1. He cahsed them at face and they ended up selling them to another customer at face.

Pennysaved, you need to visit that bank much more often. Sounds like you just missed some SAE's.

Snagging those quarters you got was sweet!

DirtyFingers
....not a fortunate son.
DirtyFingers
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:50 pm

Pennysaved wrote:recently they had an older man come in with silver 1 ounce coins that were denominated in $1. He cashed them at face and they ended up selling them to another customer at face.

Dude! Can you imagine a teller asking you if you wanted to buy some funny looking "silver dollars" and you almost refusing because you thought they'd be Ike's... and then seeing that they were eagles??? :shock: :o :mrgreen:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:03 pm

Well I hope my Dove chocolate gift puts me in her good graces :) That way next time she will offer anything like that to me 1st.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby twentybux » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Sweet find. With the chocolate, hopefully "sweeter" finds in the future. Ha!
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:04 pm

Wow, too sweet. :P The tellers in my neck of the woods are too smart for my own good! I have been told by several that they collect the silver themselves.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby BamaJoe » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:06 pm

Nice find. That would never happen at my wife's bank.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coinwolf » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:40 pm

Nice little silver score! :D
coinwolf
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals