scale recommendations for coins

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

scale recommendations for coins

Postby $nack-Money » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:34 am

If you would please post your recommendations... I researched old posts on this and want to see if anyone else can post something new or different.

many thanks, $nack
$nack-Money
Penny Pincher Member

Re: scale recommendations for coins

Postby silverstacker » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:41 pm

I'm also in the market for a new scale. Any help would be appreciated.
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:53 pm

I use the same scales I sell on my site: http://www.coppercave.com/copper/index. ... &Submit=Go

There are places to get them a little cheaper, but I keep a couple in stock for customers who are ordering other stuff from me anyway, and I get asked about scales from time to time so this way I have something to point to. I also stock the appropriate calibration weights.

Nothing fancy, they have a bigger platform than some "pocket scales" but still have a nice hinged lid so you can handle/store/transport them without putting unnecessary stress on the platform. The instructions are also printed on the inside of the lid, always there whenever you go to use it. They just use regular AAA batteries, no little watch batteries like some, and you don't need a screw driver to replace the batteries.

I like the 100 x 0.01g scale for weighing fractional and 1 oz pieces with a little more accuracy, and the 1000 x 0.1g for the heavier items like 5 oz and 10 oz bars.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silverstacker » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:03 pm

I just picked up a $25 "diet scale" on ebay that works perfectly. It switches from grams (up to 2500) to ounces. Along with my acids, magnifier and Mititoyo calipers I'm ready to call Bullsh!t on bad items and get down and dirty :D
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:53 pm

The Fisch scales rock. It confirms weight, diameter, thickness and shape very quickly. Best for verifying gold coins. I did buy the silver scales too...but it gets tedious on the silver if you are buying lots of them. All of the measurements are important though....damn Chinese knockoffs floating around now...so gotta be wary.

http://www.thefisch.com/howitworks.html
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby silverstacker » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:19 pm

TwoPenniesEarned wrote:The Fisch scales rock. It confirms weight, diameter, thickness and shape very quickly. Best for verifying gold coins. I did buy the silver scales too...but it gets tedious on the silver if you are buying lots of them. All of the measurements are important though....damn Chinese knockoffs floating around now...so gotta be wary.

http://www.thefisch.com/howitworks.html

Have you seen one that works on bars?
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby $nack-Money » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:52 pm

excellent recommendations thanks guys
$nack-Money
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:25 am

I'm looking for a basic scale, not a pocket scale.

Mostly need it to weigh sterling dinnerware so those pocket scales are too small.

Appreciate any recs
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby stas3000 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:44 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:I'm looking for a basic scale, not a pocket scale.

Mostly need it to weigh sterling dinnerware so those pocket scales are too small.

Appreciate any recs

These scales are pretty good and may work for you:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYA0RC2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYA47HI

They are sold under different brand names at different store incl. eBay. Some may be brandless. But pretty much the same product. Not as precise as pocket scales that measure to a fraction of a gram but quite good overall. They don't have a large footprint but certainly larger than pocket scales. UoM include both U.S. and metric.
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby natsb88 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:19 pm

stas3000 wrote:
Lemon Thrower wrote:I'm looking for a basic scale, not a pocket scale.

Appreciate any recs

These scales are pretty good and may work for you:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYA0RC2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYA47HI

They are sold under different brand names at different store incl. eBay. Some may be brandless. But pretty much the same product. Not as precise as pocket scales that measure to a fraction of a gram but quite good overall. They don't have a large footprint but certainly larger than pocket scales. UoM include both U.S. and metric.

I have been using one of those (first link) for about a year in a garage environment for weighing crystals/rocks/fossils and occasional shipping. It tends to read 4-6 grams lower than the AWS-1000 "pocket" scale. It's good enough for heavier items, but I wouldn't use it for selling metals, or for anything that fits on the more precise pocket scales.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals