Did I get anything good?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Did I get anything good?

Postby TXBullion » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:39 pm

I bought some coins while out of town. Trying to figure out what I got here. I think the nicks and pennys are all common but I lack a little in numi :D Also, I believe all the other coins are silver except not sure about the one shilling coins (2 at the bottom) Some of the worn coins look like they might be more valuable but Ill have to get a coin book . If you know something please chime in.

Liberty V's
1900 x2

Indians

Oh yes and I have the Silver Canadian Dime :D

TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Did I get anything good?

Postby Thogey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:51 pm

Better pic of the 3 old ones would be helpful.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby aloneibreak » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:53 pm

the shillings are NOT silver

thats my contribution for now :D
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:54 pm

Those 2 S (two skilling or shilling) "Zeelandia" are from the Netherlands I think. They are old as dirt and I think some of them actually circulated in the US. They are pretty collectible, imo. The one thing with the palm tree is from Haiti and not silver. You are right about the '48 and '56 shillings they are CuNi. '56 sixpence is CuNi. The thing with all the loops sticking out is Russian I think, or possibly Bulgarian - almost certain its silver. The British and South African 3 pences are either .925 or .500 depending on date.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby rainsonme » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:56 pm

The V-nickels look like AG to G4; reading letters in the word "liberty" on the head would indicate a little higher grade. On the 1912, look for a mint mark on the reverse; a D is good; an S is much better. The indian heads look common, and similar condition. I think these are valued around $0.75 to $1.00 each, unless there is an S on the 1912 nickel.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:59 pm

Top pic, 3rd row, 3rd in. Prussian? Older than dirt?

AG metal? Can we have a better picture?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:03 pm

The holes.....often caused by (Lumbricus Nummisvora) aka........coin worns.

check the latin....I dare you.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby aloneibreak » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:08 pm

youre right on the zeelandia coins bill

could 2 S be stuivers ?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:09 pm

So, there were two Zeelandias back in the day, both Dutch. One was a Dutch East India Company fort in Taiwan and the other was a Dutch West India Company fort in Guyana. The Taiwan base was shut down before these coins were made, so these seem most likely to be from South America in Dutch Guyana. That would make them pretty cool.

EDIT - apparently they really liked calling things Zeelandia because it was also one of their home Provinces. It is from there. They are not super rare at all, but they were used in the American colonies so they have good appeal to collectors.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:10 pm

Damn dude, all I have is the book.

You have the knowledge.
Thogey

Postby TXBullion » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:50 pm

Thanks for the tips. I think this is the best as I can do for clarity. Are there tricks to zoom in using a scanner? Maybe crop a smaller area? I just tried to go buy the sounds and grab silver lol. The shillings threw me off because of their age and being english I thought maybe and sometimes they have lower silver content and im not sure what "ring" that makes.
TXBullion

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals