Mexican coins

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Mexican coins

Postby silverkid » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:59 pm

I would absolutely flip over a Dali coin
silverkid

Postby silverstacker » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:37 pm

I still have it :D
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Wed May 03, 2017 6:17 am

How is ebay as a source for mexican junk silver these days? Anyone having luck getting it at or under spot?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby JadeDragon » Thu May 04, 2017 5:50 pm

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby TitusFable » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:47 am

Thanks for the easy checklist for my Mexican coins! Hopefully between all the years my family spent there, we'll habe acquired some nice silver pieces.
TitusFable

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:35 am

One thing about Mexican coins that I don't believe has been posted on this thread...

The peso coins from 1957-67 contain silver, but ONLY 10%. I believe that is the lowest (if not one of the lowest) percentages of silver on any coin ever minted in the world.

Even though they are UGLY coins (not just my opinion), I keep a bunch of them at home (not stored offsite with my good stuff). I keep them as burglar bait. If my house was ever broken into, I have these in a fairly conspicuous place. They aren't worth much money, but look like they might be worth something. Also, if you consider doing the same thing, put a conspicuous label on the coffee can (or wherever you store them) saying Mexican SILVER pesos. You know they are only 10% silver and not worth much, but an intruder who sees the word silver might think they just made a big score.

Also, all the important dealers in my area know about my burglar traps. They know to call me if anyone comes in selling a decent quantity of Mexican pesos, British pennies, etc. The dealer can always say, "I know someone I can call who lives nearby and is interested in buying these." If the potential seller goes running, they may want to snag the license plate number.

And if you want to get really sneaky, you might bet on the burglar being lazy. That said, you could tape a few small pieces of paper to the backs of a few pesos in your coffee can or tub. Those papers could say something like "Property of John Doe." Chances are the burglar might never see them. Even if they do, it is worth a shot and the coins aren't valuable, so I don't mind if this damages the surface a bit.

I would NEVER put scotch tape on any coins that have real value.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Changechecker » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:05 pm

Coin shop had a Mexican 2 peso (1945) and a Mexican 21/2 peso. Can anyone tell me what a good price would be if I wanted to pick these up. The 2 peso I think was $140. and the 2 1/2 was near $400. If I remember correctly. Thanks
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:05 pm

0.0603 toz of gold for 2.5 peso and 0.0482 toz gold for 2 peso. Depending on what you think premiums are worth for small denomination 90% gold - maybe $135 and $110. Maybe a bit more but not much IMHO. Unless you are desparate for gold.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Changechecker » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:11 pm

Thanks. I had checked e Bay while at the shop and the shop price on the 2 peso was around the same as the one on e Bay that had bids. I don't have gold and while I would like to get some I don't want to chase it.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby Bama47 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:45 pm

I love all Mexican coins - silver and gold. I never have any issue with picking them up. Their resale value is usually strong too.
Bama47

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals