Mexican coins

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Mexican coins

Postby Trapper30 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:08 pm

any silver counts on Panama?
Trapper30

Postby silver » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Could anyone give me information on this 1986 Mexican coin? It says $100.00 and nothing else but, V. CARRANZA. Thank you for any help you can provide.
ED
Attachments
IMG (312x324) (312x324) (2).jpg
IMG (312x324) (312x324) (2).jpg (142.87 KiB) Viewed 9516 times
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby silver » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:46 pm

This is the other side.
Attachments
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg (150.83 KiB) Viewed 9517 times
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:16 pm

silver wrote:Could anyone give me information on this 1986 Mexican coin? It says $100.00 and nothing else but, V. CARRANZA. Thank you for any help you can provide.
ED

It's aluminum/bronze.

http://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.p ... &dg=&w=&g=
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby silver » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:31 pm

Thank you very much Shinnosuke. I'm sorry I didn't search first but, I'm not sophisticated enough to find these things.
ED
silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:17 pm

Pachucko wrote:Good morning gents.

Is the list above exhaustive?

Does anyone know of a "coinflation" type site for Mexican silver?

Thanks.....Pachucko

Coinflation now covers mexican silver and gold.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby hobo finds » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:40 pm

My 12 year old son scored big at a antique show today! Coins were 3 for $1.00 he got 1 - 1993 50 peso, 1 - 1993 20 peso and a 1993 10 peso :thumbup: And a 1993 5 peso. Also a 1997 Canadan $2.00 and a 1996 Canadian $2.00 Not Bad for 2 bucks!
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Jaredmac11 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:12 pm

My Mexican onzas were my first foray in to silver bullion. They aren't particularly beautiful prints but the coin itself is one of my favorites. I love they are mixed with copper to enhance their size. I'd post some pics if I could figure out how.
Jaredmac11

Postby PZero » Thu May 16, 2013 4:56 pm

I'm going to be going to Mexico soon and would like to pick up a Libertad or 2. Can you get them at the bank or where should I check?
PZero

Postby theo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:51 pm

PZero wrote:I'm going to be going to Mexico soon and would like to pick up a Libertad or 2. Can you get them at the bank or where should I check?

Not sure what part of Mexico you are headed to but, considering the crime down there, I'd be careful about purchasing silver in a conspicuous manner.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40

http://www.apmex.com/search?q=libertad

Getting them on Ebay or Apmex might be the safer way to go.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby joefro » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:55 pm

I love the Mexican Libertads. The proofs have especially low mintages. I believe this year's proofs have a mintage of only 1000 or so! :o
joefro

Postby tdfxman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:39 am

My fav gold coin is the 50 peso. Nice size and low premium.
tdfxman

Postby dae2dae » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:35 am

I love mexican gold and silver. libertads to onzas to gold pesos even the commemoratives I've gotten from banco de mexico just appeal to me, as long as the premium is low ;)
dae2dae
Penny Sorter Member

Postby silversurfer » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:17 pm

I dabble a bit in Mexican coins, there's some nice stuff to be had.
silversurfer

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:44 pm

How is this a sticky? I just see it every time I come to this forum... just was curious

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby uthminsta » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:29 pm

I would guess because people want to dig through dealer junk bins and find silver at under spot. Mexican coins are one of those niches of the junk coin world that seem to crop up a little more often. I for one score silver that way quite a bit...
uthminsta

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:46 pm

Does anyone know if there are any pure nickel Mexican coins? If so, if you can list denominations and dates, it would be most appreciated. As Mexico mines a lot of silver and doesn't mine much (if any) nickel, I don't expect there to be any pure nickel Mexican coins...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby uthminsta » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:54 am

Interesting question. 1905-1914 cinco centavos is 5 grams of nickel. That's it.
Here's a link to a list of all the Mexican copper-nickel coins and the one pure nickel type.
http://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.p ... ico+nickel
uthminsta

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:12 am

Thanks uthminta! That tells me it isn't worth going through Mexican coins in the junk foreign box hoping to find pure nickel coins.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:15 am

uthminsta wrote:I would guess because people want to dig through dealer junk bins and find silver at under spot. Mexican coins are one of those niches of the junk coin world that seem to crop up a little more often. I for one score silver that way quite a bit...

You score Mexican silver and the dealer doesn't know it before he sells it to you? I wish I could do that, but the dealers in my area are pretty sharp and seem like they catch those. I say this because they have lots of Mexican silver coins in 2x2's.

Recyclersteve

Postby Jono » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:07 am

tdfxman wrote:My fav gold coin is the 50 peso. Nice size and low premium.

I really like the 50 peso too. Could have had one for $20 below spot last year but didn't have that much cash at the time so I just picked up a bunch of 90%. Probably better staying with silver anyways buy I would love to get a 50 peso :thumbup:
"Keep moving forward"
Jono

Postby silverstacker » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:19 pm

uthminsta wrote:I would guess because people want to dig through dealer junk bins and find silver at under spot. Mexican coins are one of those niches of the junk coin world that seem to crop up a little more often. I for one score silver that way quite a bit...

I posted this on BS as I wanted to learn more about it when I grabbed it a few weeks ago. It's a 2-1/2 oz "Salvador Dali" piece for $1.50 over spot. I love this piece. I found another Mexican one that I flipped for $85 on eBay and regret every minute of it because I could never find another one like it. It was a 2oz round. I will try and find and post
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (58.02 KiB) Viewed 8073 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (52.28 KiB) Viewed 8073 times
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverstacker » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:22 pm

silverstacker wrote:

I posted this on BS as I wanted to learn more about it when I grabbed it a few weeks ago. It's a 2-1/2 oz "Salvador Dali" piece for $1.50 over spot. I love this piece. I found another Mexican one that I flipped for $85 on eBay and regret every minute of it because I could never find another one like it. It was a 2oz round. I will try and find and post

That wasn't to hard to find. Look at this 2 oz piece :( very sad I sold it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (60.85 KiB) Viewed 8073 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (55.68 KiB) Viewed 8073 times
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:17 pm

Nice coin! I love the locomotive image.

tt
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 90Percent » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:37 am

Great List
90Percent