SILVER - WAS $31-$49, WAS $33-$43, NOW $44+

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: SILVER - WAS $31-$49, WAS $33-$43, NOW $44+

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:33 am

Fun to read these old threads, especially when I'm bored.

Won't have much higher prices until...

1. The banking/financial system fails

and/or

2. The USD becomes completely worthless.

Until then the manipulation and suppression will continue.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:55 am

Prices will go up, once the sheeple realize paper silver holdings are worthless. There are more paper silver holdings than physical silver. Paper silver holdings SLVR is supposed to be backed by physical silver.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:06 am

Tourney64 wrote:Prices will go up, once the sheeple realize paper silver holdings are worthless. There are more paper silver holdings than physical silver. Paper silver holdings SLVR is supposed to be backed by physical silver.

I've heard it said that for every physical ounce of silver that you have in your possession, up to 250 people own that same ounce on paper.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:19 pm

NDFarmer wrote:
Tourney64 wrote:Prices will go up, once the sheeple realize paper silver holdings are worthless. There are more paper silver holdings than physical silver. Paper silver holdings SLVR is supposed to be backed by physical silver.

I've heard it said that for every physical ounce of silver that you have in your possession, up to 250 people own that same ounce on paper.

I wonder how much of silver “ownership” is people and hedge funds selling short and betting that silver will go down. I’m unable to find short interest on the SLV silver ETF. I suspect that any official stats could somehow be misleading. Oh well…
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:41 am

When the market gets smashed PM prices will go down with it. It's happened MANY times.

Gotta cover those margin calls.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:41 am

NDFarmer wrote:

I'd love to see someone prove that or even anything close to that. Frankly, it sounds like a statement made by someone with an agenda.

Now I do think that there are lots of older coin collectors dying and not enough young collectors being brought to the hobby. Go to a coin show and compare the number of old people with the number of young people. The number of young people there would likely include mostly people who know very little about coins, but hope to inherit grampa's collection someday. I hear very little about coin collecting from people in their 20's and 30's. This, to me, means that when estates are settled people will be selling lots of coins to dealers, who won't have a lot of new collectors to buy them. Or, in some cases, coins will be rolled up and taken to banks! One thing a bit suspicious to me (with the benefit of hindsight) is that Redbooks almost never (at least traditionally) lowered the prices of coins from year to year. It seemed that it only happened with things like errors discovered that were white hot for a short amount of time and the interest later died down. So did the prices. Example: the 2005 Wisconsin extra leaf quarters, which almost nobody talks about anymore (and that was after none other than Dave Bowers said this was the most exciting thing he'd seen in a long time).

So, IMHO, coins are a dying hobby- sad to say. Of course, it seems like stamps died first. At least with coins you have something (in certain cases) that could be (potentially anyway) melted down for money. Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:05 am

Stamp collecting waned as actual postage itself became unimportant. Coin collecting is following the same pattern. (But in both of those hobbies, high end collections will retain at least some value.)

That said, commodity acquisition based on intrinsic value, which overlaps historic coin collecting (not the newer base metal coins), is not subject to the same vagaries of cultural popularity of a collecting hobby. If you acquire coins based on intrinsic PM content you lower your risk down to that of the commodity itself.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:34 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
NDFarmer wrote:

I'd love to see someone prove that or even anything close to that. Frankly, it sounds like a statement made by someone with an agenda.

Now I do think that there are lots of older coin collectors dying and not enough young collectors being brought to the hobby. Go to a coin show and compare the number of old people with the number of young people. The number of young people there would likely include mostly people who know very little about coins, but hope to inherit grampa's collection someday. I hear very little about coin collecting from people in their 20's and 30's. This, to me, means that when estates are settled people will be selling lots of coins to dealers, who won't have a lot of new collectors to buy them. Or, in some cases, coins will be rolled up and taken to banks! One thing a bit suspicious to me (with the benefit of hindsight) is that Redbooks almost never (at least traditionally) lowered the prices of coins from year to year. It seemed that it only happened with things like errors discovered that were white hot for a short amount of time and the interest later died down. So did the prices. Example: the 2005 Wisconsin extra leaf quarters, which almost nobody talks about anymore (and that was after none other than Dave Bowers said this was the most exciting thing he'd seen in a long time).

So, IMHO, coins are a dying hobby- sad to say. Of course, it seems like stamps died first. At least with coins you have something (in certain cases) that could be (potentially anyway) melted down for money. Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer...

Great post. Unfortunately, I agree with it. No one I know in the 20's or 30's collects coins. It's become an 'old man' hobby. How sad.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:26 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Great post. Unfortunately, I agree with it. No one I know in the 20's or 30's collects coins. It's become an 'old man' hobby. How sad.

All those CRH'ers on YouTube, are they youngsters? Maybe it is a divergence of pursuits? They are looking for silver coins they can flip? Maybe some get the metal value thing and inflation hedge. I think a lot of the younger generations just don't think about coins. Possibly a barbaric relic of commerce in the boomer era, lol.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thecrazyone » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:26 am

My sons know about coins, but only due to me and their grandparents. I don't think many kids are getting those teachings at home anymore.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:28 am

I feel like silver is the practical joke of PMs.

Its value never really seems to take off, and from what I hear, it's hard to sell.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:30 am

thecrazyone wrote:I feel like silver is the practical joke of PMs.

Its value never really seems to take off, and from what I hear, it's hard to sell.

You are basically correct except for one year - 2011 when it soared to fifty bucks.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:51 pm

thecrazyone wrote:I feel like silver is the practical joke of PMs.

Go to a big coin show like the ANA or Long Beach shows and you should have no difficulty selling even several hundred thousand dollars of silver coins. If you reach out to A-Mark Precious Metals, they too should have the ability to buy very large quantities without flinching.

Recyclersteve

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals