Dirty Brown Stripe

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Dirty Brown Stripe

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:32 pm

...and, no, I'm not talking about the one in my shorts...

I have been searching halves with no success. Everything has a brown stripe around the edge. I have been unable to purchase loose or in CWR. Is my problem that I can only get boxes of machine-wrapped coins?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Dirty Brown Stripe

Postby PreservingThePast » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:38 pm

Check out the tracking thread that tracks half dollars, dimes, quarters, nickels, etc.

Most of the searchers of half dollars get boxes and they are finding some silver. Does the edge of a 40% half contain some copper so that you need to date check?

I know many of the dimes I have found lately would have been missed if I were only edge checking as they did not look like a silver coin, but since I check each and every coin for date, errors, etc, I was able to find dimes that would have been missed if I were just an edge checker looking for silver.

Good Luck.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:50 pm

PreservingThePast wrote:Check out the tracking thread that tracks half dollars, dimes, quarters, nickels, etc.

Most of the searchers of half dollars get boxes and they are finding some silver. Does the edge of a 40% half contain some copper so that you need to date check?

I know many of the dimes I have found lately would have been missed if I were only edge checking as they did not look like a silver coin, but since I check each and every coin for date, errors, etc, I was able to find dimes that would have been missed if I were just an edge checker looking for silver.

Good Luck.

At first I checked dates, lately just the edges on the halves. Perhaps I am just too impatient.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:53 pm

shinnosuke wrote:...and, no, I'm not talking about the one in my shorts...

I have been searching halves with no success. Everything has a brown stripe around the edge. I have been unable to purchase loose or in CWR. Is my problem that I can only get boxes of machine-wrapped coins?

A dirty brown stripe around the edge is a good indicator you have silver. 90% or 40 %. The brown stripe is tarnishing from the silver coming into contact with acidic paper in the wrapper. Look at the dates.

Send a PM to Country. He is the resident silver coin tracker. He could offer you the best advice IMHO.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:05 pm

this title has cracked me up at least 3 times. Ok thats it lol
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby knibloe » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:15 pm

I edge sore and then sound sort.

Take the stack of halves in your hands and pass them back and forth a couple of times. You will hear the silver weather it is 40% or 90%.

If you want to practice, put a silver one in a stack and try it out.

I often miss some halves by edge sorting, I doubt that I miss them with sound.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:44 pm

knibloe wrote:I edge sore and then sound sort.

Take the stack of halves in your hands and pass them back and forth a couple of times. You will hear the silver weather it is 40% or 90%.

If you want to practice, put a silver one in a stack and try it out.

I often miss some halves by edge sorting, I doubt that I miss them with sound.

Same here. In my opinion the only way to sort for silver. Rarely miss one. An even better backup is the coin machines that reject silver.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:06 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

A dirty brown stripe around the edge is a good indicator you have silver. 90% or 40 %. The brown stripe is tarnishing from the silver coming into contact with acidic paper in the wrapper. Look at the dates.

Send a PM to Country. He is the resident silver coin tracker. He could offer you the best advice IMHO.

Well, brownish...sometimes a coppery brown, sometimes an orangish-brown, sometimes a dark brown, sometimes a faint brown streak. I have been looking at some of the dates on coins that don't have an obvious "I'm copper!" and they are all post 40% dates. The ones that fool me the most are 1971. I guess that year has AG-envy.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:08 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

Well, brownish...sometimes a coppery brown, sometimes an orangish-brown, sometimes a dark brown, sometimes a faint brown streak. I have been looking at some of the dates on coins that don't have an obvious "I'm copper!" and they are all post 40% dates. The ones that fool me the most are 1971. I guess that year has AG-envy.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:20 pm

Ibedern. I've only edge sorted for silver. Better start actually looking, I suppose. I've always thought the silvers were pulled when people sorted for Canadians.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby sparechange » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:24 pm

Just finished a box tonight and had pretty good success. I found 4 silver clad. Almost missed one side searching, but caught it on date sorting. The one I almost missed looked exactly like copper clad on the side(go figure) You might want to consider date searching as I found 6 proofs in the box also. Nothing like the sight of a mirror finish with an S unless it is a 64 silver! I date search looking for silver, proofs, and any error. Also, I read in REDBOOK that there were a few silver clads '71 & 71D. Anyone found one or know much about it? I have never tried sound searching but will check it out.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:35 pm

shinnosuke wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

Check out the RED BOOK like sparechange said. My 2009 edition says some 1971D & 1977D were made from silver clad by mistake. That dirty brown stripe may have been silver.

The sound sort doesn't work for me. My hearing to too poor to tell them apart, even when I place a 40%'er in with them.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:51 pm

Thanks for all the comments, y'all. Learn something every day.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:12 am

shinnosuke wrote:Thanks for all the comments, y'all. Learn something every day.

Yes you are from TEXAS :mrgreen:
TXBullion

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:42 am

Thought "y'all" was just plural. "all y'all" is three or more... ;)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby doug » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:56 am

I find the 71's to 74's often have that silver tint to them. I believe this is from circulating with the silver for quite a while in the 70's.
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:36 pm

Decided to give half searching another chance after years of only searching pennies, nickels and dimes. Picked up a $500 box today. The results are my personal best for 50 cent coins.

One 1966
One 1967

And, yes, both have brown stripes.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:50 pm

In my area the new coin counting machines don't accept half dollars. Do you have that issue where you are?
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Silver4face » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:43 pm

My area accepts half dollars, but I don't put them into the machines unless I have at least 20 or so.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sun May 08, 2022 11:57 am

Morsecode wrote:In my area the new coin counting machines don't accept half dollars. Do you have that issue where you are?

I haven't dumped halves in so long, I'm not even sure. My plan is to just hang on to them for now...in case US citizens realize the intrinsic value of the Federal Reserve Hiney Wipes they are holding is ZERO.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:13 pm

I never did weigh in on this old thread. I feel that it is important to look at the dates instead of just the edges. I seem to also remember 1971’s that posed as 40%ers. I always did the drop test to see what they SOUND like- just to be safe.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Silver4face » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:09 pm

I look at both the dates and the edges. I do not sort large quantities of these because they have usually been searched by competitors. I prefer smaller quantities, but maybe someday I will order a box or two. (I actually did that in 2019)
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals