My strange Xmas gift. 1887 CC Morgan Dollar...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

My strange Xmas gift. 1887 CC Morgan Dollar...

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:04 pm

I am totally confused on this. My father gives me a coin that has been in his collection for approximately 40 years. He thought it was an 1887 O Morgan Dollar, but after looking at it magnified, it's CC. The redbooks claim one wasn't made that year at CC, but:

1. A magnet doesn't stick to it.
2. It rings when you drop it.
3. It weighs 26.7g with my mini digital scale.

Is it just an excellent counterfeit?
Attachments
20191226_145313-1.jpg
20191226_145313-1.jpg (411.29 KiB) Viewed 2507 times
20191226_145344-1.jpg
20191226_145344-1.jpg (458.07 KiB) Viewed 2507 times
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Re: My strange Xmas gift. 1887 CC Morgan Dollar...

Postby NiBullionCu » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:46 pm

What does the edge look like?

I'm guessing it was made from two coins. (Or the 'CC' was added to a genuine 1887).
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:41 pm

Here's the edge, and the weight:
Attachments
20191226_173300-1.jpg
20191226_173300-1.jpg (437.44 KiB) Viewed 2489 times
20191226_173600-1.jpg
20191226_173600-1.jpg (179.68 KiB) Viewed 2489 times
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:59 pm

She is as thick as a Pillsbury biscuit!
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby galenrog » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:49 am

Only two possibilities. Altered or counterfeit.

Time for more coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:03 am

Very cool creation!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby thecrazyone » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:25 am

This is a real bummer. I have no idea what even to do with this thing now. I don't want to sell it to someone when it's a fake, and I don't keep fakes for myself. I guess it's worth it just to keep for its silver content, but this just totally sucks! I also told my father about the discovery, but was torn to do so, since he has thought for decades that it was real (granted, he thought it was an O, bc he did not use a magnifier). Maybe it is just an altered 1887 like others have mentioned, but still, ppl who mod these coins just suck.
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:59 am

How much do you want for it?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:01 am

I sent a PM
Thogey

Postby coppernickel » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:01 am

May be worth sending to get slabbed. IF it is real then it may be worth a few dollars.

Taking this into account with the other coin. It looks like your dad inherited a collection of error coins from a by-gone era. I am inclined to think they are both real error coins. You may have found the jackpot.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:12 am

I hope it's your jackpot.
If not, it's a very cool fantasy piece, and you need not be ashamed for selling it as such.

add: I wonder if the counterfeit was made by someone who did not know such coin does not exist and was stuck with it. Some chinaman went through all the trouble of making a good die, or a jeweler spent many hours to make a non-sellable fake.
Thogey

Postby thecrazyone » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:38 pm

It's been a year, I still have this coin, and I'm still pondering on sending it to NGC or PCGS.

My grandfather was the big collector in our family, and chances are that is where my father got these coins. My grandfather was also really good at this stuff, and back in the day, he even had Roman coins. That update has prompted me to buy one myself.

I just read that NGC uses Xrays do determine authenticity of a coin as well. My question is, if this coin IS real, and they determine that, what are my chances of actually SEEING it again? Maybe I need to just throw some stimulus money at the grading.

I also saw this one out on the Web, and the viewers were quick to shoot it down as fake:

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/top ... C_ID=79823
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:11 pm

thecrazyone wrote:It's been a year, I still have this coin, and I'm still pondering on sending it to NGC or PCGS.

My grandfather was the big collector in our family, and chances are that is where my father got these coins. My grandfather was also really good at this stuff, and back in the day, he even had Roman coins. That update has prompted me to buy one myself.

I just read that NGC uses Xrays do determine authenticity of a coin as well. My question is, if this coin IS real, and they determine that, what are my chances of actually SEEING it again? Maybe I need to just throw some stimulus money at the grading.

I also saw this one out on the Web, and the viewers were quick to shoot it down as fake:

The coin is no good so I wouldn't waste your time or money on grading. If it makes you feel better you can have them tell you the same thing. If its no good they will still charge you the same fee and it will come back in a flip marked counterfeit.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby thecrazyone » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:56 pm

What would I use to at least confirm it is silver? Nitric acid?
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby rainsonme » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:29 am

I accumulate coins that I think might be worth grading, and when I have a large bunch, I send them in, so the postage and handling are spread across more coins. 10 or more. You might just put a note on it , so you remember why you were going to grade it, and see if a few more "gradeables" don't pass your stack in the next year or two. No hurry; the silver wont deteriorate. I had a VERY convincing silver half-dollar ---- 1971, I think. If I hadn't sent it in to confirm it was fake, it would have driven me nuts. If no one can prove to you it is fake, put it aside to be sent in for grading some day. Your odds aren't worse than a lottery ticket ------ they cost money too, I am told.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:24 pm

Since it is going on 2 years now that I have had this coin, I have sent an email to NGC to see if they will consider it for review. I not only want to know if it is real, but I would really like to know if it is truly silver.

I will see if they reply, and go from there. Can you imagine if it really were an error coin, and was in fact, real? I don't think I would know what to do with it if that were the case.
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby NiBullionCu » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:32 pm

Carson City mint did not strike any Morgan Dollars in the years 1886, 1887, 1888.

Your coin is at best altered, or at worst counterfeit.

NGC will gladly take your money to tell you it is no good and return it un-holdered.
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:10 am

thecrazyone wrote:Since it is going on 2 years now that I have had this coin, I have sent an email to NGC to see if they will consider it for review. I not only want to know if it is real, but I would really like to know if it is truly silver.

I will see if they reply, and go from there. Can you imagine if it really were an error coin, and was in fact, real? I don't think I would know what to do with it if that were the case.

Isn't there a reputable coin shop near you who could tell you the same thing some very knowledgable members here have already told you? Then you could finally sleep at night. :clap:
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:37 am

shinnosuke wrote:
thecrazyone wrote:Since it is going on 2 years now that I have had this coin, I have sent an email to NGC to see if they will consider it for review. I not only want to know if it is real, but I would really like to know if it is truly silver.

Isn't there a reputable coin shop near you who could tell you the same thing some very knowledgable members here have already told you? Then you could finally sleep at night. :clap:

I mean no disrespect to anyone here whatsoever, and I thought I actually had taken it to a shop (I know I took one coin there for the same reason).

I guess that, at the end of the day, I'd like to know if it's at least really silver. I did not get the opportunity to see what NGC charges to grade, and they have not yet replied to my email, so, you're probably right in that I'd be throwing more money away to have them review fake money. It just really sucks. :(

At least it looks like there are more than 1 out there (this one is not mine):

thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:02 am

Just a small update on this thread: I have a very strong earth magnet on the way to me in the mail. I will be using that to see if this coin is a fake or not. Will post results.
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:21 pm

Another possibility. Some coin shows have people who give free opinions on the legitimacy and grade of a coin. You might try that before spending a lot of money on this.

And another thought. I have some known counterfeit coins (a magnet sticks to all of them) that I purposely keep at home in case I’m ever robbed by someone. They are definitely NOT made of silver. One in fact is an 1887-CC, the same date as yours! Another one is a super obvious fake. It is a Peace dollar with 2 obverses- 1922 on one side and 1923 on the other.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:50 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:And another thought. I have some known counterfeit coins (a magnet sticks to all of them) that I purposely keep at home in case I’m ever robbed by someone. They are definitely NOT made of silver. One in fact is an 1887-CC, the same date as yours!

No way!!!! That is too wild.

I only spent 4 bucks on the magnet, and got it with an eBay gift card I got for Xmas. I sound like a baby bird here. Cheep cheep cheap.
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:33 pm

It isn't a hollow coin? It could be made from two real coins that assemble tight and leave a space in the middle where you can keep something like a memory chip.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:19 pm

I would think that would make the coin lighter and it's 26.7g.
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:08 pm

The super strong earth magnet came today and does not stick to it at all.
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals