Silver coins appear at Xmas time?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver coins appear at Xmas time?

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:27 am

I was talking with a fellow collector yesterday, and they mentioned how banks and stores seem to get more silver coins in change at that time. Anyone else notice that? What drives that, if it's true?
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Re: Silver coins appear at Xmas time?

Postby NiBullionCu » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:04 am

Just the volume of coins turned in for buying gifts and paying end of year bills.
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:26 am

It seems to me that the half dollar bags fill up faster on the coin counters at the end of the year. I would also guess that people turn in their change to purchase gift and such.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Tourney64 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:17 am

I always do better in half dollar coin searching in January.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:33 pm

I think the silver coins showing up in circulation and roll searching comes from Grandmas, kids, and others digging deeper into their old change to buy gifts. People who have collected change all year for Christmas cash them in to be used. I have family who have done both of these.

I think the same types of things happen when the economy does a sharp downturn, like in 2008.

The mint has produced all the needed coins for the year by about August or September. The mint starts up fresh at the beginning of the new year. That is why roll searching in February and March are perennially rolls of brand new coins.

It took several years to realize how annually cyclical the coins are.

My observations, how close to the mark am I?
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:12 am

I too have noticed over the years that the weeks leading up to Christmas are an excellent time to find silver. I think there are people emptying piggy banks and some of those banks were inherited from people who died.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby highroller4321 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:45 am

I have always called it Silver Santa! People run short on cash during the holidays so they turn in whatever coins they have laying around.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby hobo finds » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:13 pm

It could also be more houses being broken into during the holidays and coin jars and other stuff stolen.
hobo finds

Postby bankmining » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:41 pm

hobo finds wrote:It could also be more houses being broken into during the holidays and coin jars and other stuff stolen.

That’s looking on the bright side :lol: :lol: . Probably true :( :( .
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:26 am

Everyone watching? It's that time again :)
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:53 pm

I haven't found any silver but strangely enough I have found more change on the ground in the last 2 weeks than in the last 3-4 months! Dimes and pennies mostly but it all goes into the jar.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:27 pm

silverflake wrote:I haven't found any silver but strangely enough I have found more change on the ground in the last 2 weeks than in the last 3-4 months! Dimes and pennies mostly but it all goes into the jar.

Because things are going back to "normal" and people are wasting again :)
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:23 am

Don’t forget New Year’s resolutions! Many people vow to do a better job managing their finances. They may want to get a start on that resolution by cashing in piggy bank money.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby thecrazyone » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:26 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Don’t forget New Year’s resolutions! Many people vow to do a better job managing their finances. They may want to get a start on that resolution by cashing in piggy bank money.

Oohhhh, good call!
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:58 pm

A mere three days after my post on this thread I happened to get 2 silver dollars (1878-O and 1925 plain) at a bank. This is the second time recently, following getting 3 silver dollars at a different bank on 11/1/22. Before that I had NEVER ONCE gotten silver dollars at a bank in over 50 years of collecting. See additional details on a separate thread posted today.

Recyclersteve

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals