Demand shock explanation

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Demand shock explanation

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:33 am

This from TPM - note that I have used them and trust them, but have no other connection to them.

https://www.texmetals.com/news/demand-s ... -premiums/
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Demand shock explanation

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:28 am

Just saw this now for the first time. The explanation of silver being like toilet paper was very interesting!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:27 am

TPM is a bullion dealer, and high premiums are exactly what they want. It's very difficult to find a neutral 3rd party that will give you straight information who does not have a $$$ conflict of interest.

There is PLENTY of silver available if you are willing to pay the high premiums. This negates the "demand shock" explanation.

Go to Apmex and type in 9999 into the quantity box, it then shows you what is available to purchase = plenty!

I can understand if/when inventories gets wiped out, but right now inventory is back up to normal levels.

If inventory is back to sufficient levels then premiums should go down, right? But they're not because there is a steady flow of buyers who are willing to pay these inflated premiums.

Pure greed.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby wheeler_dealer » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:28 am

Greed?
I have a store. Inventory, labor, insurance, overhead,etc.
I sell a "widget". I advertise, as well as capture repeat customers. I sell the same widget that many other vendors sell. I price my "widget" for 29.95. You can buy it from any vendor you choose at their price. IMO it's about choice, convenience, comfort level.
Yes, supply/demand dynamics may dictate perceived value.
Inventory has to be replaced. I don't/can't force anyone to buy my "widget". If a customer buys my "overpriced" widget it is because they choose to for whatever motivation drives them.
68 states it well. He trusts TPM. There is value in that. Are the premiums high? You mean are their products priced to high? Buyers have choices. No one forced people to click the "add to cart" button.
If you could sell at the "greedy " vendors price and had Buyers wouldn't you?
Call me greedy. I call it Capitalism.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:49 am

wheeler_dealer wrote:Greed?

Good for you, I'm all for Capitalism.

However... $15 over spot for ASEs? $9 over spot for 90%? There is NO shortage of these products.

Yes, GREED.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:09 pm

The price of silver just wants to hang in there between $23 and $24 an ounce for one-ounce rounds. As the price drops the premium continues to increase to keep it there. Wonder if we will ever see it drop below $20 an ounce with the premium?
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:19 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:

However... $15 over spot for ASEs? $9 over spot for 90%? There is NO shortage of these products.

Yes, GREED.

How progressive of you :P
natsb88

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:55 pm

natsb88 wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:

Yes, GREED.

How progressive of you :P

:lol: I just call 'em as I see 'em. Actually I'm as far away from "progressive" as a person could get.

Seriously though, I feel bad for new stackers who pay these absurd premiums to get the items they want.

We are certainly living through some strange and bizarre times... and things only get worse as time passes.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Sanford02 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:03 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:But they're not because there is a steady flow of buyers who are willing to pay these inflated premiums.

Pure greed.

Those 2 back to back lines are perfectly self contradictory....which is a hallmark of "progressive" ;)

If "there is a steady flow of buyers who are willing to pay", then anyone who sells for less would be a fool, not greedy. If I have a lawnmower for sale, and the neighbor on my right is "willing to pay" $500 for it, and the neighbor on my left is "willing to pay" $600 for it, is it greedy to take the $600 rather than the $500? No one NEEDS silver rounds to feed or shelter their family, so there isn't some exploitation of desperation going on. It's just a willing buyer and a willing seller...it's rational, not greedy.
Sanford02
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals