Mexico shuts down silver production

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Mexico shuts down silver production

Postby Saabman » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:32 pm

https://www.kitco.com/news/2020-04-01/S ... ction.html

Expected mine shutdowns of at least a month in Mexico will reduce the global silver supply since the country is the world’s largest silver producer.

Nevertheless, analysts are not rushing to say this will automatically mean higher silver prices, as normally occurs when there are reduced supplies in any commodity. That’s because in this instance, industrial demand is also suffering as the COVID-19 pandemic impacts the global economy.

Further, with refinery and transportation issues but sharply rising physical demand, silver was described as a market “in turmoil.”

The Mexican government this week declared the pandemic as a national health emergency and as a result is forcing all non-essential businesses to close up shop until at least April 30. Silver miners likely are considered non-essential. Some mining and exploration companies have already said they are halting operations.

According to data from the U.S. Geological Survey, in 2019, Mexico produced 6.3 metric tons of silver, which represented about 23% of global mine supply. Statistics from the consultancy CPM Group put 2019 output at around 740 million ounces, of which 173 million were from Mexico.
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Re: Mexico shuts down silver production

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:42 pm

This could be YUUUUUGE!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Saabman » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:47 am

I thought so too. And honestly, do you think they will be shut down for just a month? I don't.
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:24 am

I agree that the shutdown will last longer than a month.

Another thing the article mentions about silver is that much silver is flown internationally to get from miners on through the system to refiners, producers of blanks and the U.S. Mint. Mexico and Peru are the biggest producers. Since the number of flights (both domestic and international) has been cut way back, this creates yet another bottleneck for the system.

South Africa announced less than a week ago the shutdown of production- this could greatly affect both platinum and palladium.

Sales of ASE's at the U.S. Mint went from 650k in February to a whopping 5.5 million in March.

In the article above, silver was described as a Sleeping Beauty just waiting to be woken up.

Buckle those seat belts!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Saabman » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:45 am

I agree...... it's going to be one helluva ride soon......

Stay safe!
Cerca Trova!!!

-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:28 pm

Rig for silent running, but brace for depth charges!
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:28 pm

Can't wait to sell my teeny tiny 1g silver bar I just got! [laughs]
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby InfleXion » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:55 pm

This will have supply impacts for the foreseeable future. It might take some time, although not likely with the Fed printing another $2+ trillion just this morning, but if the day ever comes where every person the US wants to own 3 ounces of silver, supply's out (1 billion above ground available oz according to Bix Weir). With the ability for mines to quickly play catchup now sunsetting for a while, price will have to rise at some point, and JPM knows this as they are net long. Even if the people don't embrace silver, industrial demand isn't going anywhere as long as the economy is functioning, and industry will pay whatever it takes since they can pass costs on to customers.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals