Do you plan on selling silver into this market?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Do you plan on selling into this market?

Postby Morsecode » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:06 pm

I haven't sold any on ebay myself, as there is always a decent market here. I was only saying I had been watching auctions ending with unusually high premiums. Although, we just went from 24.50 to 29.00 in a few days so that premium disappeared rather quickly.

What do you mean "chargebacks"? Buyers have a year to return stuff? News to me. But I haven't sold anything but collectible glass on ebay, and I haven't done that for over a year.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby smackvay » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:29 pm

Morsecode wrote:I haven't sold any on ebay myself, as there is always a decent market here. I was only saying I had been watching auctions ending with unusually high premiums. Although, we just went from 24.50 to 29.00 in a few days so that premium disappeared rather quickly.

What do you mean "chargebacks"? Buyers have a year to return stuff? News to me. But I haven't sold anything but collectible glass on ebay, and I haven't done that for over a year.

i believe paypal protection is up to 12 months and then credit cards go even longer to file a chargeback or honestly for ANY reason can send anything back.

Mike
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Do you plan on selling silver into this market?

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:38 pm

Silver is down over 13% right now. Do you plan on buying silver in this market?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JobIII » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:51 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Silver is down over 13% right now. Do you plan on buying silver in this market?

That would a a firm no from me :lol:
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:47 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Silver is down over 13% right now. Do you plan on buying silver in this market?

sure....why not?...i'm being cheeky here...i think this sell off is healthy,.....for stackers......when we say "silver is down 13%", the ref is comex....5 1000 toz loaves, margin is 17k(i'm spitballing here).......its a speculative financial instrument, same as the etf's.......i cant afford either to speculate, or even to trust.......these institutions, who's idea of dynamic capitalism is "hooray for me and fu.".....(btw, as i was typing this one of the ebay house's just emailed me that they have only 11 2020 RCML rolls at 11 times sep on the board.....i've noticed that in this up move, the basis has remained between $7-10 over the board (i buy only but RCML naked, and i will buy ASES's only if they are slabbed, i wont buy bars, or rounds...)

if any of all lost dough, i'm sorry, but i gotta say.......this is the healthiest thing that could of happened today...believe me, some of the dec longs on the board?.......those are earmarked for delivery. blessings, n
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:22 pm

Things go a little wild and a bunch of old names start showing up on the board.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:50 am

theo wrote:I don't see how silver doesn't challenge $50 in the near term. That will be the point where we have some big decisions to make. What will the premiums be like? Is the economy beginning to stabilize? Is sentiment overly positive? Are there other assets that appear to be undervalued?

These questions are really important to answer when the time comes... it's prescient how you have identified the very things that have the biggest delta. It's pretty hard to nail it all down and find zen clarity when the moment comes to sell or buy. If possible, try to set aside fun stuff for last, and put together a plan for the bullion. Determine in advance your sell levels and stick to them. Everyone with this strategy will need to have a good control over greed. Whipsawing prices don't have emotions.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby IdahoCopper » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:58 pm

Someone's local craigslist ad for ASEs:

1 oz 99 percent pure, mint un-circulated, selling units of 10 and 20.
I have
30 - 2015s
40 - 2016s
30 - 2017s
30 - 2018s
30 - 2019s
$52 each or make offer on the whole lot, no low ballers please
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Changechecker » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:04 am

Craigslist sellers- currently $40.00, $45.00, $50.00 per ounce.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:44 am

IdahoCopper wrote:Someone's local craigslist ad for ASEs:

1 oz 99 percent pure, mint un-circulated, selling units of 10 and 20.
I have
30 - 2015s
40 - 2016s
30 - 2017s
30 - 2018s
30 - 2019s
$52 each or make offer on the whole lot, no low ballers please

He says no low ballers. Maybe if you offer him $50 each for the whole lot he will take it!!! ;)
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:41 am

Market Harmony wrote:
theo wrote:I don't see how silver doesn't challenge $50 in the near term. That will be the point where we have some big decisions to make. What will the premiums be like? Is the economy beginning to stabilize? Is sentiment overly positive? Are there other assets that appear to be undervalued?

These questions are really important to answer when the time comes... it's prescient how you have identified the very things that have the biggest delta. It's pretty hard to nail it all down and find zen clarity when the moment comes to sell or buy. If possible, try to set aside fun stuff for last, and put together a plan for the bullion. Determine in advance your sell levels and stick to them. Everyone with this strategy will need to have a good control over greed. Whipsawing prices don't have emotions.

I really don't understand the questions because they aren't related to what should be the fundamental reason one possesses precious metals, which is to have a personal and private store of wealth. One should only sell (or trade) when one has another need to be fulfilled and can't be completed by other reasonable means. I'm thinking of capital investments especially, or fundamentals of shelter, food and water, medical, and/or safety.

I suppose many of us have a few tertiary pieces of metal which to our own eyes (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) are less desirable than others, and we may choose to divest those things and perhaps replace them with items that are more desirable. But that isn't a life or death decision.

But the worst trade one can make is to consider exchanging PMs for fiat currency, especially a currency which is almost certainly going to hyperinflate within the next 10 years (if not well before).

If you do sell it must be with a plan for what other equally (or more) important item you would replace it with, and that has to consider exactly the definition of true money as well as fiat, and an appreciation for the shaky position of the financial markets.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:58 am

68Camaro wrote:
Market Harmony wrote:

I really don't understand the questions because they aren't related to what should be the fundamental reason one possesses precious metals, which is to have a personal and private store of wealth. One should only sell (or trade) when one has another need to be fulfilled and can't be completed by other reasonable means. I'm thinking of capital investments especially, or fundamentals of shelter, food and water, medical, and/or safety.

I suppose many of us have a few tertiary pieces of metal which to our own eyes (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) are less desirable than others, and we may choose to divest those things and perhaps replace them with items that are more desirable. But that isn't a life or death decision.

But the worst trade one can make is to consider exchanging PMs for fiat currency, especially a currency which is almost certainly going to hyperinflate within the next 10 years (if not well before).

If you do sell it must be with a plan for what other equally (or more) important item you would replace it with, and that has to consider exactly the definition of true money as well as fiat, and an appreciation for the shaky position of the financial markets.

All great points.

When I read through this forum, I get the impression that 40-50% of the people here are FOMO's and/or in PMs for a short term trades. Sometimes ppl can get lucky with the timing, but it's rare.

Physical PMs are a hedge against inflation, a store of wealth and insurance against a banking/fiat system collapse.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:12 am

Don’t care what the spot is - I’m not selling silver. It is part of my base assets along with some real estate and Blue Chip stocks.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:10 am

Market Harmony wrote:I'm moving my hedging price higher to 22.50. At that point, I will be shorting futures to be aligned with physical... If it goes lower than that I am fully hedged.

Otherwise, balls to to the wall! We're going higher boys!

Hedging is important fellas and ladies. Learn why and how to do it.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:21 am

Market Harmony wrote:
Market Harmony wrote:I'm moving my hedging price higher to 22.50. At that point, I will be shorting futures to be aligned with physical... If it goes lower than that I am fully hedged.

So how did it work out?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Market Harmony » Wed May 11, 2022 7:54 am

Thogey wrote:
Market Harmony wrote:

So how did it work out?

Not bad at all. Taking a long position today $21.35 on the futures. Let's see what happens.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Fri May 13, 2022 9:52 pm

No selling of silver, only buying.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat May 14, 2022 8:52 am

IMO, another great buying opp is coming. Save your dry powder and get ready.

The only thing that sucks about it is that the premiums are so high right now. They probably won't be coming back to pre-March 2020 levels anytime soon... perhaps never.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Sat May 14, 2022 9:11 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:IMO, another great buying opp is coming. Save your dry powder and get ready.

The only thing that sucks about it is that the premiums are so high right now. They probably won't be coming back to pre-March 2020 levels anytime soon... perhaps never.

I agree. We're close now to reaching the very important support level of $20 and if we breach that level then silver will probably trend downward to the $15-17 range that we were stuck in for such a long time prior to Covid. My guess is the .50 point rate increase coming in June will be the event that pushes silver though the $20 support level...but then again it could happen next week :cry:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat May 14, 2022 10:10 am

pennypicker wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:IMO, another great buying opp is coming. Save your dry powder and get ready.

I agree. We're close now to reaching the very important support level of $20 and if we breach that level then silver will probably trend downward to the $15-17 range that we were stuck in for such a long time prior to Covid. My guess is the .50 point rate increase coming in June will be the event that pushes silver though the $20 support level...but then again it could happen next week :cry:

Exactly. This is what I'm patiently waiting for. The interest rates go up, the stock market gets nailed and PM paper prices fall right with it. When the margin calls start the market and PM prices will fall even more. When this happens I suspect much of the WSS crowd will capitulate and throw in the towel... this will be the contrary indicator to load up. I read WSS comments daily to gauge sentiment.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby stas3000 » Sat May 14, 2022 11:42 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
pennypicker wrote:

Exactly. This is what I'm patiently waiting for. The interest rates go up, the stock market gets nailed and PM paper prices fall right with it. When the margin calls start the market and PM prices will fall even more. When this happens I suspect much of the WSS crowd will capitulate and throw in the towel... this will be the contrary indicator to load up. I read WSS comments daily to gauge sentiment.

Oh yeah, the WSS reddit crowd. I haven't visited in quite a while. What's the vibe there now? Have they given up yet? Or what is general sentiment at the moment from your perspective?
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat May 14, 2022 1:13 pm

stas3000 wrote:Oh yeah, the WSS reddit crowd. I haven't visited in quite a while. What's the vibe there now? Have they given up yet? Or what is general sentiment at the moment from your perspective?

Definitely not as enthusiastic these days. Still too much optimism, which leads me to believe silver is going into the teens. Remember the hype when Ag was $30 and they were going to "squeeze" it to the moon?... most ppl there at that time believed Ag was a "no lose" proposition. They shot themselves in the foot with that nonsense. Still quite a few there who are saying buy silver at any price/premium, which is foolish. I always want to pay the least amount of dollars for my PMs as possible.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby stas3000 » Sat May 14, 2022 1:36 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
stas3000 wrote:Oh yeah, the WSS reddit crowd. I haven't visited in quite a while. What's the vibe there now? Have they given up yet? Or what is general sentiment at the moment from your perspective?

Definitely not as enthusiastic these days. Still too much optimism, which leads me to believe silver is going into the teens. Remember the hype when Ag was $30 and they were going to "squeeze" it to the moon?... most ppl there at that time believed Ag was a "no lose" proposition. They shot themselves in the foot with that nonsense. Still quite a few there who are saying buy silver at any price/premium, which is foolish. I always want to pay the least amount of dollars for my PMs as possible.

I remember that it seemed like right as they "opened up" spot prices of silver started gradually dropping. I think they were in high 20's at the most in last 18 months. (But at the same time premiums have been getting higher and higher or so it seems.) Anyway, thanks for posting about WSS here. Curious what those reddit guys are going to come up next. Hopefully nothing as the louder they get the lower spot prices go. :lol:
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat May 14, 2022 4:42 pm

If we're going to have a meaningful discussion on the topic we need to refer to actual street price of generic physical - not kitco spot or other related metric.

It matters not if "spot" goes to $15, if at the same time premiums go to $7 such that the net delivered cost is $22. As with some of the past events, there could again be another very small window (usually a Sunday night into early hours of a Monday) where prices crash over a weekend and the middlemen fail to react quickly enough to adjust premiums or offerings.

(Of course they may have learned their lessons from 2020 and have a plan in place to adjust prices and / or inventory in near real time.)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat May 14, 2022 6:51 pm

68Camaro wrote:If we're going to have a meaningful discussion on the topic we need to refer to actual street price of generic physical - not kitco spot or other related metric.

It matters not if "spot" goes to $15, if at the same time premiums go to $7 such that the net delivered cost is $22. As with some of the past events, there could again be another very small window (usually a Sunday night into early hours of a Monday) where prices crash over a weekend and the middlemen fail to react quickly enough to adjust premiums or offerings.

(Of course they may have learned their lessons from 2020 and have a plan in place to adjust prices and / or inventory in near real time.)

IMO it does matter. If spot prices fall and the premium remains the same, you're still going to pay less per oz than if you buy at current prices. Stackers who capitulate and/or run out of $ to buy more should help keep premiums from increasing.

Of course there's always a possibility that crypto cultists will have an epiphany and exchange their cryptos for PMs... if they still have any cash left that is.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals