Catalytic Converter

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Catalytic Converter

Postby Changechecker » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:33 am

Co-worker went out to his truck after work and started it. Bam his catalytic converter was gone. They have video of the neighbor kid walking over to the lot, crawling under his truck, saw in hand and coming out with his converter in hand. Happened to another guy who drove a car. Police wouldn't do anything about it. So messed up.
On news last night they are saying this is happening quite a bit.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Re: Catalytic Converter

Postby fasteddy » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:08 pm

....but theft is theft and I would want my property back or some one prosecuted.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:12 pm

Catalytic converter theft has been going on years here in California--after all its California so no surprise!
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:41 am

It's been a big issue for a long time. I think it is more of a problem for certain makes and models.

In some places, it is HARD to sell used cats unless you have a receipt or something to prove that you are the original owner. I found a few in trash dumpsters while out recycling and had a very difficult time selling them. Can't remember the price I got but it was so low I figured it wasn't worth trying to recycle them anymore, even if they contain small amounts of platinum group metals.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Changechecker » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:25 am

The area where I work is not a good neighborhood. The house the kids were traced to is a known drug house. Right next to where I work. Hopefully they find there's no value in it as I drive a truck and park in the same lot. If they mess with mine things would get ugly quickly.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:35 am

Recyclersteve wrote:It's been a big issue for a long time. I think it is more of a problem for certain makes and models.

In some places, it is HARD to sell used cats unless you have a receipt or something to prove that you are the original owner. I found a few in trash dumpsters while out recycling and had a very difficult time selling them. Can't remember the price I got but it was so low I figured it wasn't worth trying to recycle them anymore, even if they contain small amounts of platinum group metals.

Criminals know where to go to sell them. "Chop-shops" are the ones that buy them.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:35 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
Recyclersteve wrote:Criminals know where to go to sell them. "Chop-shops" are the ones that buy them.

You got that right. "chop-shops" are everywhere here in California. I could elaborate further but instead I'll just appease Pelosi, Schumer, Harris, Waters, AOC, "The Gang" and the rest of the liberal left by saying nothing more so I'll stay politically correct :thumbup:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby smackvay » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:24 am

They just busted a ring of people here in WV they had over 350 convertors and $150,000 in cash.
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:47 pm

https://twinfalls.craigslist.org/pts/d/ ... 76501.html

Current craigslist ad in my area. The criminals will start vandalizing local cars now.

Even if the ad is a cop sting.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:51 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
Recyclersteve wrote:It's been a big issue for a long time. I think it is more of a problem for certain makes and models.

Criminals know where to go to sell them. "Chop-shops" are the ones that buy them.

And, they know that it's a crime that isn't being chased down.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:08 am

thecrazyone wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Criminals know where to go to sell them. "Chop-shops" are the ones that buy them.

thecrazyone wrote:And, they know that it's a crime that isn't being chased down.

100% correct. Why would police care about stolen cat-converters when they did not care about BLM/Antifa riots, looting and burning down businesses? Police are nothing more than useful idiots, they do exactly as instructed, totally beholden to their paycheck and pension plan.

Wait until you see what happens this summer - yikes. I hope all you gents are getting prepared. Get everything you need NOW while it's available and the shipping/supply chains are still intact. Last week I spent $1500 on more freeze-dried foods.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Changechecker » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:41 pm

What do you think is going to happen this summer?
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:04 pm

Giant Meteor impacts Washington DC while all Congress is in session and the president is in the White House.
Total reset of the US government.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:47 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:Giant Meteor impacts Washington DC while all Congress is in session and the president is in the White House.
Total reset of the US government.

Now that would be a blessing. :thumbup:
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:35 pm

Dumb question:

Why not just make it illegal to posses or purchase a catalytic converter unless it is attached to your car? When the car dies and goes to the junkyard then they can pay you a couple of hundred bucks extra if the converter is still attached.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:41 pm

That would make it difficult to buy a replacement. If you have to replace your converter why shouldnt you be able to sell your old converter? Theft is a crime and the police should do something about it.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals