Apmex recent packaging job - horrible!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Apmex recent packaging job - horrible!

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:52 pm

Just received my order from last week. A very poor packaging job and very unlike them. The 10oz Ag bars were simply tossed into a plastic bubble bag then put inside the cardboard box. The bars were tumbling around loose in that bag which cause a hole to develop in the bag, the bars were practically falling out. The box was coming undone too. Nothing lost or damaged, but a very poor way to send a valuable package through the mail (UPS). I'm going to send them an email about it.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Re: Apmex recent packaging job - horrible!

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:01 am

As I've said before Ihad my issues with APMEX a few years ago now - and it was fundamentally a shipping department problem - but wrapped up in the issue was a communication problem; they were almost nonresponsive - ultimately they corrected it over a period of many weeks - but I swore it was my last deal with them and I've kept to that. Plenty of other better places to go versus saving a couple bucks on a special at the risk of a difficult to resolve problem.

Glad you got the product. Hope it wasn't damaged. And I hope you at least get a reply - maybe an apology! Feel free to let them know you know of another that had issues and stopped buying from them. Let us know.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby coindood » Fri May 21, 2021 12:06 am

Just placed my first order ever with them yesterday morning (the 19th) and the order status says it will be shipped on the 24th.

5 days???
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby stas3000 » Fri May 21, 2021 7:51 am

coindood wrote:Just placed my first order ever with them yesterday morning (the 19th) and the order status says it will be shipped on the 24th.

5 days???

I think that's pretty fast nowadays. I've read about many dealers taking 2+ weeks to ship... but that was a month or so ago. I haven't placed any orders with APMEX in a while so not sure if that's how it works out or if it's worse. I ordered a few months ago from a dealer that said would ship within 72 hours... never got a notification or anything... but the item arrived about 72 hours after the order was placed! Wow.
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri May 21, 2021 7:53 am

coindood wrote:Just placed my first order ever with them yesterday morning (the 19th) and the order status says it will be shipped on the 24th.

5 days???

Unless they promised immediate shipping that is fast these days. Wed to Mon is just 3 business days. A lot of places are 2 to 4 weeks out. (Crossed another post with a similar comment.)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri May 21, 2021 9:18 pm

5 days???

Did you pay with check or credit card? Checks typically take over a week to process and clear. Credit card is the quickest, but lately they're pretty backed up with orders from the WSS crowd.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby coindood » Sat May 22, 2021 8:09 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Did you pay with check or credit card? Checks typically take over a week to process and clear. Credit card is the quickest, but lately they're pretty backed up with orders from the WSS crowd.

Paypal. It looks like they over-estimated because it shows shipped today, which is perfectly fine.

Just to be clear, I didn't expect Amazon-ish next day shipping but just about every biz I've dealt with online will get it at least to the post office within three days. Longer than that is rather unusual.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby stas3000 » Sat May 22, 2021 8:31 am

coindood wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Did you pay with check or credit card? Checks typically take over a week to process and clear. Credit card is the quickest, but lately they're pretty backed up with orders from the WSS crowd.

Paypal. It looks like they over-estimated because it shows shipped today, which is perfectly fine.

Just to be clear, I didn't expect Amazon-ish next day shipping but just about every biz I've dealt with online will get it at least to the post office within three days. Longer than that is rather unusual.

Good - I'm quite surprised it actually shipped this week.

There are several threads I've read on other forums that documented significant shipping delays from a variety of bullion/coin dealers. In some cases 3-5 weeks! I think the delays became the norm in February. It sounds like it's getting better.

Other retailers were unaffected. There's just been a surge of retail demand for physical silver and gold. Subreddit WSS is one of the reasons but not the only driver.
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby coindood » Sat May 22, 2021 10:28 pm

First time I've ordered from a major bullion dealer so I didn't know what to expect.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby franklin » Mon May 24, 2021 8:42 am

Texas Precious Metals is a good company and ships securely. Plus while Apmex has 1/10th oz Gold Eagles for $331 with a CC, TPM has them for $264 using CC. At least an hour ago they did.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby coindood » Mon May 24, 2021 10:36 pm

Arrived today and I'm very pleased. Seriously secure packaging. Probably paid more than I should've but I wanted to give them a try.

I shouldn't have been so critical early on. Live and learn I guess. Good enough experience that I'd order with them again.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat May 29, 2021 7:27 am

franklin wrote:Texas Precious Metals is a good company and ships securely. Plus while Apmex has 1/10th oz Gold Eagles for $331 with a CC, TPM has them for $264 using CC. At least an hour ago they did.

Ampex VIP's get price matching, but you have to call them. I tend to favor fractional pieces myself. I was buying rolls of 1/10oz gold eagles for $50-60 a piece in the mid-2000's. Premiums be damned! 8-)
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:59 pm

I've have been buying at JM Bullion for 7 years now and I've never had a problem; in fact I like their service so much that they are the only company I buy silver from. :thumbup:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals