Ratio of Silver : Gold : Nickel : Copper, what is realistic?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Ratio of Silver : Gold : Nickel : Copper, what is realistic?

Postby coppernickel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:48 am

I have tried to explain the ratios of the money metals. The hardest part finding good evidence to support the prices. The second obstacle is prices are always fluctuating. In the end a table showing the range appears to be the best answer.

Ratio Low Prevailing High
Silver: Gold 5:1 12:1 100:1
Silver: Nickel 1:5 1:15 1:50
Silver: Copper 1:40 1:69 1:80
Platinum: Gold 1:2 1:1 2:1

I am inviting your critic. Currently it reaches the level of being, “adequate.”

Building this table I take the long view of history.
For example it shows the prevailing ratio of silver to gold at 12:1:
• From prehistory in the Far East until about 700 A.D. the ratio was set by religion at 6:1.
• The Western ratio set by Rome, again religion, valid from about 3rd century B.C. until roughly the 13th century A.D. was 12:1.
• Once the European Western Powers dominate the world after the 16th century, the ratio moves to 15:1 and then climbs to the current near 100:1.
• There are some obscure accounts from prehistory, which I ignored, which put the silver to gold ratio at 1:1. There is one commentator of price futures that argues for 1:1 showing silver is used up by industry and gold is recycled that available realities may mean quantities of silver is equal to gold.
• The civilizations of the Americas never really utilized silver until conquered by Europeans.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Ratio of Silver : Gold : Nickel : Copper, what is realis

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:18 am

Interesting, but I tend not to think about ratios too much. I simply accumulate G&S when it's undervalued and unloved. With the way things have been going, PM premiums may not come back down much, if at all.

Right now Cu and Ni are what Ag was in 1964. Free money. Get some free money while it's still out there. Gresham's law baby!
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals