Silver utensils at yard sale $1 each piece

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver utensils at yard sale $1 each piece

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:20 pm

I was at a yard sale over the wknd where the seller had a box of silver forks knives and spoons and wanted $1 for each piece. Sounded steep to me. What do you guys think, so I know for next time?
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Re: Silver utensils at yard sale $1 each piece

Postby fasteddy » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:26 pm

Sterling? missed out on a super buy...just flatware...IDK, I would prefer new.

*just so u know...knives are usually hollow handles with stainless blades....not all sterling.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:36 pm

Yeah, buddy, if that was sterling you should go knock on their door.

If it was silverplate? Not worth it.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:46 pm

fasteddy wrote:Sterling? missed out on a super buy.

:thumbup: :clap: :!:
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:39 pm

thecrazyone wrote:I was at a yard sale over the wknd where the seller had a box of silver forks knives and spoons and wanted $1 for each piece. Sounded steep to me. What do you guys think, so I know for next time?

Look for a mark 925 or sterling on the piece. If it was silver plate could be plated over copper or brass.
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby galenrog » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:25 pm

hobo finds wrote:
thecrazyone wrote:I was at a yard sale over the wknd where the seller had a box of silver forks knives and spoons and wanted $1 for each piece. Sounded steep to me. What do you guys think, so I know for next time?

Look for a mark 925 or sterling on the piece. If it was silver plate could be plated over copper or brass.

Regarding tableware, I have also seen plating over zinc and plating over stainless. I do agree that copper and brass are the most common I have found. Other markings common in earlier European flatware include .800, .750, and .700, which I found on many individual pieces from family in Europe (Denmark, Sweden, Germany, England, Scotland, Norway). I have seen these, and a wide variety of makers and assay marks without a number. All, when genuine, denote purity of silver.

How were the pieces you saw marked?

Time for more coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:45 pm

You can also occasionally find silverware (legit .925 stuff) at places like Goodwill. I wouldn’t go out of my way to look for it though.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby thecrazyone » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:09 pm

galenrog wrote:
hobo finds wrote:

Regarding tableware, I have also seen plating over zinc and plating over stainless. I do agree that copper and brass are the most common I have found. Other markings common in earlier European flatware include .800, .750, and .700, which I found on many individual pieces from family in Europe (Denmark, Sweden, Germany, England, Scotland, Norway). I have seen these, and a wide variety of makers and assay marks without a number. All, when genuine, denote purity of silver.

How were the pieces you saw marked?

Time for more coffee.

I had no magnifying glass on me, and the pieces I (briefly) looked at had letters that were too small for me to identify.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby galenrog » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:45 pm

Always have 10x loupe in your pocket. Makes life so much easier.

Time for more coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals