Bags of "junk silver" coins worth buying?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Bags of "junk silver" coins worth buying?

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:47 pm

Where do people get all of these coins from? Have they been searched for numismatic value rather than intrinsic?

Worth buying? Or buy silver rounds instead?
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Re: Bags of "junk silver" coins worth buying?

Postby coppernickel » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:09 pm

Yes, junk silver is worth getting. Be careful, it can easily become a scam.

It like a good mix of junk silver, rounds, and bars.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby galenrog » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:33 pm

Junk silver is a “mixed bag”. I personally inspected the contents of the few bags I have considered buying. Most had what was expected. A few were obviously not as advertised. Yes, sellers were very upset I insisted on inspection. Sellers with bags that were short, had wrong coin, or any other problem were even more upset. I am a Neanderthal, and expect to get what I pay for. Time for more coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:09 am

Since most Ag US coins have appreciable wear, its best to buy them by weight, not per each price.

They may become useful as a trading money after fiat fails. Eventually, a dime will buy a sandwich.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:14 pm

thecrazyone wrote:Where do people get all of these coins from? Have they been searched for numismatic value rather than intrinsic?

Worth buying? Or buy silver rounds instead?

At current premiums?... I'd buy 10oz bars or 1oz rounds instead.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:17 pm

galenrog wrote:Junk silver is a “mixed bag”. I personally inspected the contents of the few bags I have considered buying. Most had what was expected. A few were obviously not as advertised. Yes, sellers were very upset I insisted on inspection. Sellers with bags that were short, had wrong coin, or any other problem were even more upset. I am a Neanderthal, and expect to get what I pay for. Time for more coffee.

Some dealers add underweight slicks to these junk bags, especially today when premiums are sky high.

Like Idaho said, better to buy by weight if possible.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:41 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:Since most Ag US coins have appreciable wear, its best to buy them by weight, not per each price.

They may become useful as a trading money after fiat fails. Eventually, a dime will buy a sandwich.

The best part about "junk silver" is the small size. A silver dime at 0.072 ounces (2.25 grams) ASW is equivalent to a cup of coffee, or as Idaho said, "a sandwich."

Wear will quickly eat into the value, and most are well worn.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby galenrog » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:05 am

I agree that buying based on weight, rather than face, is best due to wear. The worst example is the bag of halves I looked at years ago. Yes, the weight of the bag was right. When opened, they were indeed all halves. Many, however, were 40% silver, not the 90% advertised. Always inspect. Always.

Time for more coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:57 am

Kennedy halves are an exception to the buy by weight rule.

They weren't in circulation for very long before silver coin were being removed from circulation to be hoarded. They didn't have time to wear like the older silver coins.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:10 am

IdahoCopper wrote:Kennedy halves are an exception to the buy by weight rule.

They weren't in circulation for very long before silver coin were being removed from circulation to be hoarded. They didn't have time to wear like the older silver coins.

Good point, but the premium on JFKs are significantly higher than dimes and quarters.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:14 am

There are multiple ways of looking at this.

Agree that Kennedy’s don’t often wear as much as dimes and quarters. The problem with the 40%ers is that the silver is on the outside so those will often wear faster than 90%ers.

One thing in general I like about the halves is there are fewer to count (example: 10 old silver halves might include a good date Barber or Walker). Counting 1,000 halves is way better than counting 1,000 dimes, many which may be bent and have issues when going through a machine.

I’ll take the halves anyday, even at a modest premium. If the premium was something ridiculous like 50-100%, I’d sell and try to buy the halves at a lower price later- even if I had to be patient.

Other stuff like war nickels just isn’t worth it to me.

I do remember seeing someone who had a pretty large quantity of silver that was hidden in a wall and melted in a fire. He got a lowball offer. To me, the coins still could have been melted- so they still could have been identified clearly by type- even though there were some black and very ugly coins in there.

Can’t remember the exact price (it was well over 10 years ago), but The melt price for those coins shouldn’t have been so low IMHO.

Good topic.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:43 pm

I would buy whatever I could afford (and maybe even push that idea a little more ahead).

Not only do you have some bargaining power with the recent dip in the silver price, but you can also say you plan just to make them into rings, pendants and couldn't care less about their condition.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thecrazyone » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:28 pm

galenrog wrote:I agree that buying based on weight, rather than face, is best due to wear. The worst example is the bag of halves I looked at years ago. Yes, the weight of the bag was right. When opened, they were indeed all halves. Many, however, were 40% silver, not the 90% advertised. Always inspect. Always.

Time for more coffee.

What shady dirtbags.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:05 pm

90% is now $7.49 over spot on Apmex.
Attachments
Oh My.jpg
Oh My.jpg (16.72 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:45 am

It went up again. 90% is now $8.00 over spot on Apmex.

:o :shock: :o :shock:
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:01 pm

Apmex premium on 90% is now $8.50!

Pretty sure that is the highest it's ever been.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Catfish4u » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:31 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Apmex premium on 90% is now $8.50!

Do you know what that would be in 'times face value'? 20x, 22x, 25x, 30x? Thank you for this information!
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Slaphot » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:52 am

Catfish4u wrote:

Do you know what that would be in 'times face value'? 20x, 22x, 25x, 30x? Thank you for this information!

That is about 24x
Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Corsair » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:06 pm

Slaphot wrote:
Catfish4u wrote:

That is about 24x

Friendly tip - the website Coinflation has this handy calculator which allows you to manually input the price of silver to determine what "times face value" would be at any given spot price.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:45 pm

Corsair wrote:Friendly tip - the website Coinflation has this handy calculator which allows you to manually input the price of silver to determine what "times face value" would be at any given spot price.

This site is a bit better IMO...

http://coinapps.com/
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals