Federal Reserve Cuts Off Sorting

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Federal Reserve Cuts Off Sorting

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:20 pm

Just saw this on WSS:
The Fed caught on to the dime game.

Just picked up $500 in dimes to play with and asked for more.

Bank just called and told me the Fed put a halt to ALL coin orders that aren’t for “internal use” at the bank. (close quote)

Anyone else hearing this?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Federal Reserve Cuts Off Sorting

Postby coppernickel » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:52 pm

Not yet, coin has been very difficult to get for months. I haven't even tried this year.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:45 pm

Wonder if this means bank tellers will flat out not give you any coins at all unless you run a business. I know when I asked in recent weeks, the banks told me they could only give out maybe $10 worth of nickels. I also seem to notice they were more inquisitive about why I was getting coins but maybe that was random teller interaction.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:21 am

It sounds like someone at your bank is using "the Fed" as an excuse to stop supplying you with coin. The Fed no more controls who banks give coin to than who they give loans to, or who they give toasters to for opening checking accounts. Now why they are doing that is another thing.

I was told I can order whatever I want, including halves. My fav teller says she 'adds it to her order'; the bank pays a fee for coin delivery. Maybe your bank no longer wants to absorb the extra freight?

Sometimes my coin is not there. She'll say the entire order was shorted. So there are supply chain issues, largely manufactured make-believe excuses, but they're real enough to be disruptive. A friend who works for one of the major armored players tells me their supply depot is overflowing with coin, and that's all he knows.

The Mints are still pumping out the fiat round the clock. There is no actual coin shortage. But there may be some deeper endgame in play.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:57 am

Morsecode wrote:It sounds like someone at your bank is using "the Fed" as an excuse to stop supplying you with coin. The Fed no more controls who banks give coin to than who they give loans to, or who they give toasters to for opening checking accounts. Now why they are doing that is another thing.

I was told I can order whatever I want, including halves. My fav teller says she 'adds it to her order'; the bank pays a fee for coin delivery. Maybe your bank no longer wants to absorb the extra freight?

Sometimes my coin is not there. She'll say the entire order was shorted. So there are supply chain issues, largely manufactured make-believe excuses, but they're real enough to be disruptive. A friend who works for one of the major armored players tells me their supply depot is overflowing with coin, and that's all he knows.

The Mints are still pumping out the fiat round the clock. There is no actual coin shortage. But there may be some deeper endgame in play.

Great post Morse and I totally agree. Someone at the bank said: "enough is enough". They have even more reason to stop giving you coin if you're not paying an extra fee for those boxes of dimes. The Fed directive is simply a narrative they're all parroting.

I know someone who drives for Brinks. He picks up bags and bags of coins everyday. He told me, there is no coin shortage. There are still BILLIONS of coins being minted every year.

As Morse suggested, there's probably something more nefarious going on behind the scenes. I believe TPTB are conditioning people for a cashless, all digital money system. It will be totally traced and taxed. Anonymity of cash transactions will be a thing of the past. They are starting with coins and working their way up.

Try opening an account at a local credit union instead. They tend to be much more friendly and accommodating. I've had no problem ordering boxes from them, in any amount I want, as long as I pay the $7 premium per box. However, I often get individual rolls for free. Yesterday I stopped by 3 branches and and removed $100 in nickel rolls without paying any premium. Where there's a will, there's a way. 8-)

I'll say it again... get all you can NOW before coinage is gone... especially copper pennies and nickels.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:12 am

JerrySpringer wrote:Wonder if this means 1. bank tellers will flat out not give you any coins at all unless you run a business. I know when I asked in recent weeks, the 2. banks told me they could only give out maybe $10 worth of nickels. I also seem to notice 3. they were more inquisitive about why I was getting coins but maybe that was random teller interaction.

1. I know for a fact this is happening more and more, especially at the bigger banks like Wells, TD and BoA.

2. If I haven't ordered any boxes, the most rolls I can usually get at one time are $20-30 worth. Yesterday I went to the main branch of my CU and they gave me $50 in nickels, no charge.

3. Some have asked, most don't. My advice is to become as friendly as possible with a teller or multiple tellers. Lie to them if you have to, but never tell them what you're actually doing. The more friendly they are, the easier it is to get what you want (damn, that sounds sneaky and underhanded! - lol).
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:55 pm

All of today's posts are spot on. We simply have to buy as many rolls as we can. I can feel the apocalypse of coins coming fast. I feel like I'm racing against govt removal, which means I'm racing against time.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:19 pm

Wasn't it HCBTT that said always bring candy for the tellers and they will look forward to you coming in the door and be more willing to work with you instead of saying "OH NO NOT HIM AGAIN".
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:15 am

NDFarmer wrote: Wasn't it HCBTT that said always bring candy for the tellers and they will look forward to you coming in the door and be more willing to work with you instead of saying "OH NO NOT HIM AGAIN".

Absolutely. 100%. Since most tellers are female, I bring them chocolates every once in a while and they always treat me very well. Stay away from male tellers, this candy tactic doesn't work. :P

Also, make sure to hit multiple branches... that way the "oh no, not him again" thought will not happen as often. Always be as patient and friendly as possible.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:23 am

Silver4face wrote:All of today's posts are spot on. We simply have to buy as many rolls as we can. I can feel the apocalypse of coins coming fast. I feel like I'm racing against govt removal, which means I'm racing against time.

Exactly. Gotta get it NOW, especially nickels. Make it a priority, but don't request too much from one branch. Make sure to spread your coin requests evenly among multiple branches. Also, make visits infrequent as possible, say once a month.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:50 am

JerrySpringer wrote:Wonder if this means bank tellers will flat out not give you any coins at all unless you run a business.

Nothing was mentioned about the fed or anything like that but this is why I wasnt able to get to much into coin sorting locally. I can get limited stuff the rare times I go into the bigger city over an hour away. Locally though since even before I joined here (but was reading some posts on the old forum) I was never able to get much coin. Since I dont have a business.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Doctor Steuss » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:09 am

I haven’t sorted in a loooong spell, but from when I was, I can attest that a box of donuts every third trip resulted in some tellers even saving stuff for me. I once ended up with two rolls of CWR mercs because of this. Also got me on the good side of the managers.

I’d guess that what they blamed on the fed was actually something they had to implement because of their 3rd party carrier. Might be able to set something up with them to buy all of the CWRs. One credit union loved me because I would buy them, and save them from having to crack them open and bag them.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silver4face » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:09 pm

Doctor Steuss wrote:I haven’t sorted in a loooong spell, but from when I was, I can attest that a box of donuts every third trip resulted in some tellers even saving stuff for me. I once ended up with two rolls of CWR mercs because of this. Also got me on the good side of the managers.

I’d guess that what they blamed on the fed was actually something they had to implement because of their 3rd party carrier. Might be able to set something up with them to buy all of the CWRs. One credit union loved me because I would buy them, and save them from having to crack them open and bag them.

Doctor, you should sort NOW even if it's just a little bit because the day is coming when we can't sort anymore. Keep in mind that pennies and nickels will be the first to disappear.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals