I don’t get it…

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

I don’t get it…

Postby amalekidad » Mon May 02, 2022 7:08 pm

The spot price of silver has gone down (again). However, the price of a Silver American Eagle has gone up.
As I write this spot is $22.55. To buy 1 ASE from Provident Metals is $38.75 = $16.20 premium over spot! What the Yell??
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Re: I don’t get it…

Postby stas3000 » Mon May 02, 2022 9:40 pm

I am observing the same thing. Over the course of last several months spot prices have been moving downward but prices of coins -- gov't bullion, pre-1965 90%, foreign coins & bullion, etc -- have actually been going up or at least staying steady.

P.S. Go Cougs!
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby coppernickel » Mon May 02, 2022 10:19 pm

The short answer is, those selling bullion anticipate the price of the metal going up.

Silver spot is the paper price. The premium is the charge to make the bullion price commensurate with the anticipated value.

A better answer is do you want to buy silver for $30 an ounce, or wait until next week or the week after when it is $50 an ounce? Do you think it will come back down? Do you trust Joe to fix, anything?
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby stas3000 » Mon May 02, 2022 10:41 pm

Right. So regardless of what silver spot prices are -- or futures prices which are all very close together when you look at recent trades for June, Dec, etc contracts -- physical is trading substantially higher. In mid-and late April, US junk silver was trading at 23x face, generic rounds $32/troy ounce, gov't bullion well north of that. That's in my neck of the woods. I've sold some. I am buying foreign coins here and there these days and prices of Canadian silver coins, British, German etc have been very firm. (This reminds me, I should list some of my extras here!) You've got to have quite a bit of skill and luck to get something anywhere close to spot price at retail level, i.e. when buying in relatively small quantities.
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue May 03, 2022 6:24 am

Some say spot price plus the high premium is now the true price of silver. However, premiums shot up many times in the past only to drop down later. Is it different this time?... perhaps. Notice how when inventories are replenished, they do not last long. Buyers are what keeps premiums high. Dealers will keep premiums where they are as long as the demand remains high.

During the covid scare in March 2020 Ag dipped down to $12. When that happened I urged people to buy all they could. That buying opportunity (of a lifetime) only lasted a few hours, then premiums skyrocketed. That was over 2 years ago and premiums are still sky high. Is this the new normal? Only time will tell.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Tue May 03, 2022 7:54 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote: Is this the new normal? Only time will tell.

:thumbup:
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Wed May 04, 2022 9:00 am

amalekidad wrote:The spot price of silver has gone down (again). However, the price of a Silver American Eagle has gone up.
As I write this spot is $22.55. To buy 1 ASE from Provident Metals is $38.75 = $16.20 premium over spot! What the Yell??

At least the dealers are making money in this market.

I just called Provident to get a quote on selling them 100 silver eagles...28.90 ea. Buy for 29, sell for 39. Nice work if you can get it :roll:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby pennypicker » Wed May 04, 2022 11:46 am

Morsecode wrote:
amalekidad wrote:The spot price of silver has gone down (again). However, the price of a Silver American Eagle has gone up.

At least the dealers are making money in this market.

I just called Provident to get a quote on selling them 100 silver eagles...28.90 ea. Buy for 29, sell for 39. Nice work if you can get it :roll:

Makes me think about the good old days when APMEX would every now and then have a sale on roll-fresh silver eagles for $2.99 over spot :shock:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu May 05, 2022 6:01 pm

pennypicker wrote:Makes me think about the good old days when APMEX would every now and then have a sale on roll-fresh silver eagles for $2.99 over spot :shock:

I have a gut feeling those ASE flash sales are long gone.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Sun May 08, 2022 11:53 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
pennypicker wrote:Makes me think about the good old days when APMEX would every now and then have a sale on roll-fresh silver eagles for $2.99 over spot :shock:

Perhaps if an ounce of silver were properly priced at, say, $100 ($200?), we might see a reasonable premium.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon May 09, 2022 8:35 am

shinnosuke wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:

Perhaps if an ounce of silver were properly priced at, say, $100 ($200?), we might see a reasonable premium.

I disagree. If that happened bullion dealers would charge even higher premiums. At $100-200oz silver; hyperinflation, lack of dealer inventory and FOMO would be the main drivers for higher premiums... and people will pay it too when they see the purchasing power of their green rectangles is being destroyed day after day. However at that point, food and ammo would be worth considerably more than PMs.

Even with all the crap that has happened over the past 2 years, our lives are still somewhat normal. Things are going to get much more bizarre and considerably worse in the near future... it's not a question of if, but when.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Mon May 09, 2022 1:43 pm

Yeah, your comments make more sense than mine.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby franklin » Mon May 09, 2022 4:15 pm

We have a local university oriented website that started off primarily sports oriented but morphed into everything else including a classifieds forum. Today a guy put up 20 BU (didn't look that good) 1964 Kennedy halves for $250. Silver content is $157.48 with silver at current $21.77/oz. They got snapped up immediately with several posters wanting to know if more were available. The forum coin "expert" declared it to be the deal of the year. At almost a 60% premium, what am I missing? I remember buying oodles of junk silver here 10-15 years ago for right at spot. And some really good ones.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon May 09, 2022 5:32 pm

Spot Means Nothing (SMN): this is our new acronym.

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 17.23.36.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 17.23.36.png (115.12 KiB) Viewed 975 times

No, not you, Spot. The spot price of Silver.

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 17.26.16.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 17.26.16.png (55.18 KiB) Viewed 975 times

No, not you, Silver. The price of Ag.

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 17.30.35.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 17.30.35.png (141.29 KiB) Viewed 975 times

Oh, never mind.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon May 09, 2022 5:35 pm

franklin wrote:We have a local university oriented website that started off primarily sports oriented but morphed into everything else including a classifieds forum. Today a guy put up 20 BU (didn't look that good) 1964 Kennedy halves for $250. Silver content is $157.48 with silver at current $21.77/oz. They got snapped up immediately with several posters wanting to know if more were available. The forum coin "expert" declared it to be the deal of the year. At almost a 60% premium, what am I missing? I remember buying oodles of junk silver here 10-15 years ago for right at spot. And some really good ones.

$158 current melt value for $250 = deal of the year? :?

As recently as early 2020, 90% was averaging 0.29-0.49 cents over spot. I posted about it several times here, but people didn't seem very enthusiastic about it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby franklin » Mon May 09, 2022 5:40 pm

I bought a butt load of Franklins here that look like they came straight from the mint for 10 cents over spot when it was $15.34 (had to look at my notes). I have no doubt I could get close to 2x spot on my local forum if I posted accurate pics. Can't do it. I like to pull them out and look at them too much.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon May 09, 2022 5:53 pm

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 17.51.57.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 17.51.57.png (1010.92 KiB) Viewed 971 times
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Mon May 09, 2022 11:02 pm

A roll of 1964 Kennedy halves for only $250? That's better than Walmart's price. What a deal!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/90-Silver-Kennedy-Half-Dollar-20-Coin-Roll-Avg-Circ-P-D/372377521
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue May 10, 2022 1:10 pm

TwoAndAHalfCents wrote:A roll of 1964 Kennedy halves for only $250? That's better than Walmart's price. What a deal!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/90-Silver-Kennedy-Half-Dollar-20-Coin-Roll-Avg-Circ-P-D/372377521

*Sold and shipped by APMEX, Inc. | APMEX, Inc. :P
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Fri May 13, 2022 9:51 pm

Paper silver prices deflate the real price of silver. If you sell paper silver, you should have physical silver to cover it.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Thu May 26, 2022 11:48 am

Guess it all depends whether you're buying or selling. Personally, I haven't been doing much of either. I strongly believe the PMs are destined to go higher. That's why I'VE been gnawing on the idea of jumping back into the silver marketplace. Let the fun begin!
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals