Ag going back into the teens?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Ag going back into the teens?

Postby NDFarmer » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:31 am

JerrySpringer wrote:These are legitimate:

https://www.walmart.com/browse/jewelry/ ... rBullionVF

Check out the 10 Apmex round and 20 round Buffalo prices. Tempting.

I went to the Walmart site. Put the 20 Buffalo rounds in my cart. Went to check out and they wanted to charge me $36.00 for sales tax. So that's a NO GO!!!
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:25 am

NDFarmer wrote:

I went to the Walmart site. Put the 20 Buffalo rounds in my cart. Went to check out and they wanted to charge me $36.00 for sales tax. So that's a NO GO!!!

Does your state charge sales tax?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:34 am

JerrySpringer wrote:
NDFarmer wrote:

Does your state charge sales tax?

Dug further. ND does not charge sales tax on 0.999 silver. My referral to Walmart was started via Reddit. Here is the thread I saw on it:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Wallstreetsilv ... ver_taxes/

Maybe the sales taxes can be nullified for orders with some tenacity. Not sure how/why Apmex is selling silver for half the premium on Walmart vs. the Apmex site.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:52 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Today I received 4 emails from different bullion dealers advertising their "sales".

I hope Ag gets down in the teens soon and doesn't pop back up again. It's been in the $20-30 trading range for the last 2 years. :|

And again... today I received 5 emails about bullion dealer sales.

Contrary signal.

Ag prices definitely moving lower. Keep that dry powder ready!

Let's get back on topic here...

Ag price is moving lower. Now $19.10

The contrary (bullion dealer sales) signal working out very well.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:25 am

common ASEs carring a $10-15 premium on Ebay this morning.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby franklin » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:06 am

APMEX has random year ASEs for $15 premium if you buy up to 19 of them. That is a 76% premium.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:55 pm

franklin wrote:APMEX has random year ASEs for $15 premium if you buy up to 19 of them. That is a 76% premium.

Pure greed. All inventory is readily available too, that goes for most online bullion dealers.

It's bizarre how people buy when price is higher on hype and FOMO, but don't buy when prices are lower. Counterintuitive human behavior.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:37 am

$18.63 as I type this.

The WSS newbs who went all in at $30 and on PSLV on the Ag squeeze hype must be very concerned right now.

Never buy any asset on FOMO or hype.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:11 am

$12 to $14 by Labor Day.

No special insights, just a wild a** guess.

Cracks me up that anyone is paying a premium over 10% right now. :roll:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:19 am

Morsecode wrote:$12 to $14 by Labor Day.

No special insights, just a wild a** guess.

Cracks me up that anyone is paying a premium over 10% right now. :roll:

Very possible and it's my view as well.

Even though Ag price is tanking, if Ag price continue to trickle lower, I think the higher priced bullion dealers will eventually be forced to lower the premiums. If prices quickly crash back down to $12, they won't lower them.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:14 am

Anecdotal evidence from eBay suggests premiums are falling. Over the previous month or so, 90% junk went for about 20x face including shipping. Yesterday and today, they're going for about 19x face. Not a huge drop by any means, but worth noting.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:16 pm

Worth keeping in mind that we are currently paying a ~20% premium on the USD vs the last silver crash in early 2020, so $18 silver now is rather much like $15.40 silver was then, so the bottom might not go back to the same $12. $14.40 is the new $12, meaning we might be getting close to a bottom. Watch the premiums. If premiums get down to $2 or less on generic with spot at $15 or less, it might be the bottom.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:59 pm

68Camaro wrote: If premiums get down to $2 or less

Do you think premiums will ever go back to $2? Or are $5 plus premiums here to stay?
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby franklin » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:43 pm

I paid 3.25 premium for Silver Buffaloes last week from SD Bullion. I don't figure $2 will be seen anytime soon.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:48 pm

Never say never. Premiums in bulk were $2 2 years ago when silver dropped to just below 12. If supply exceeds demand (people are afraid to buy because they think the price will continue to drop) then premiums will drop to entice sales.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby everything » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:27 pm

It could be until the end of year before we see the ever so slowly silver price finally bottom out, and then into 2023, talk about patience. Allot is mined, around a billion ounces a year, it will be available. Since the world is economically intertwined .. industrially speaking a good global recession should bring us all some extra silver this go around.

It seems like if we shop around privately we can find around $2 over spot, especially on 10 oz. bars, I have not purchased lately but just checked some connections.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:59 am

68Camaro wrote:Never say never. Premiums in bulk were $2 2 years ago when silver dropped to just below 12. If supply exceeds demand (people are afraid to buy because they think the price will continue to drop) then premiums will drop to entice sales.

I agree, however if the 900,000 ASE purchase by that female billionaire is true, that should keep premiums high for a while. Inventory will remain low for the next several months. She also bought lots of 90% and $50 mil in gold.

Also, if more rich people starting piling into silver, premiums will head even higher as any remaining inventory gets wiped out. The $2-3 premium on ASEs and $0.50 premium on 90% may have become a thing of the past. Eventually the COMEX paper price would become insignificant and dealers would sell Ag for whatever they want to price it at.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:06 am

everything wrote:It could be until the end of year before we see the ever so slowly silver price finally bottom out, and then into 2023, talk about patience. Allot is mined, around a billion ounces a year, it will be available. Since the world is economically intertwined .. industrially speaking a good global recession should bring us all some extra silver this go around.

It seems like if we shop around privately we can find around $2 over spot, especially on 10 oz. bars, I have not purchased lately but just checked some connections.

If paper Ag price keeps heading lower, Ag mining is no longer profitable and miners cease operations. Industry would still be able to get if from the byproduct of zinc, lead and nickel mining though.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:06 pm

I still see people paying 24x face on ebay for circulated 1964 Kennedy halves...seems that the Kennedy mystique and iconic nature and history of that coin continues to pull at the heartstrings of collectors.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:25 pm

pennypicker wrote:I still see people paying 24x face on ebay for circulated 1964 Kennedy halves...seems that the Kennedy mystique and iconic nature and history of that coin continues to pull at the heartstrings of collectors.

Yes. Many JFK halves were hoarded in 1964/65, this is why there are so many around in AU and MS condition. I imagine many were melted in 1979/80 too.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals