90% junk premiums are crazy high

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: 90% junk premiums are crazy high

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:03 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
Doctor Steuss wrote:Good gravy, at the top of APMEX right now: "Due to increased volume current minimum purchase amount is $5,000."

$5000? It's says $250 now...

https://www.apmex.com/

Sorry, I got confused. I was on the sell page, and my brain was hogging all the stupid. $5K is apparently their current minimum to buy.

https://www.apmex.com/sell-gold-sell-silver-overview
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:16 am

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
Doctor Steuss wrote:Good gravy, at the top of APMEX right now: "Due to increased volume current minimum purchase amount is $5,000."

$5000? It's says $250 now...

https://www.apmex.com/

Sorry, I got confused. I was on the sell page, and my brain was hogging all the stupid. $5K is apparently their current minimum to buy.

https://www.apmex.com/sell-gold-sell-silver-overview

That is interesting. I've dealt with Apmex many times over the past 15 years and don't ever remembering them setting a minimum BUY price.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby wheeler_dealer » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:10 pm

I have to ask what is going on with Provident, APMEX, JM Bullion. Their ask for 90% is still rising and they appear to be silver short again. All of them
Is this the PUMP before "Sell in May and go away".dump?
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:41 pm

wheeler_dealer wrote:I have to ask what is going on with Provident, APMEX, JM Bullion. Their ask for 90% is still rising and they appear to be silver short again. All of them

It's all selling out. I just don't understand why ppl are buying at these high premiums?... FOMO? I know Apmex has a good reputation, but paying $17-18 over the spot price for 90% is exorbitant. The melt price on a $100FV bag of 90% is currently $1832... Apmex is charging $3055.

Glad I bought this stuff back when it was cheap.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby mflugher » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:45 pm

To be honest I came here to see what was up, in my shop I've had a huge run on gold and silver sales these last 3 weeks. Was wondering if any others saw similar issues.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:02 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
wheeler_dealer wrote:I have to ask what is going on with Provident, APMEX, JM Bullion. Their ask for 90% is still rising and they appear to be silver short again. All of them

It's all selling out. I just don't understand why ppl are buying at these high premiums?... FOMO? I know Apmex has a good reputation, but paying $17-18 over the spot price for 90% is exorbitant. The melt price on a $100FV bag of 90% is currently $1832... Apmex is charging $3055.

Anytime newbies arrive at the gold and silver well, they almost always pay too much at the start. Add in FOMO and you've got a recipe for shortages. My first volume foray into PMs in 2007 I bought several lots of 90% on eBay and paid way too much (at the time) for it, until I calmed down and learned with time what was reasonable and how to buy.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:25 pm

68Camaro wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:

Anytime newbies arrive at the gold and silver well, they almost always pay too much at the start. Add in FOMO and you've got a recipe for shortages. My first volume foray into PMs in 2007 I bought several lots of 90% on eBay and paid way too much (at the time) for it, until I calmed down and learned with time what was reasonable and how to buy.

They must be very wealthy newbies that don't care about the premium... probably don't even know what a premium is or how to calculate it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:08 am

Apmex is selling $5 rolls of merc dimes for over $160. That's 32X face!! I had to do the math several times, thought I was making a mistake.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cwgii » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:42 pm

Hmm.pawn shop has mercury, at 2.00...bargain.
cwgii

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:18 pm

In the past when prices have gone up fast I have been able to score some good deals at antique shops. I think the people who own the stuff are not able to keep up with the rising prices.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:30 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:Apmex is selling $5 rolls of merc dimes for over $160. That's 32X face!! I had to do the math several times, thought I was making a mistake.

Insane... and ppl are buying them at that price? :shock: :?

I can't help but be amused now because I bought bags of these when they were close to spot.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:32 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:Apmex is selling $5 rolls of merc dimes for over $160. That's 32X face!! I had to do the math several times, thought I was making a mistake.

That's $44/toz...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:40 am

68Camaro wrote:

That's $44/toz...

They are selling ASE's for over $45 so I guess 90% is a relative bargain!
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:34 am

Well bulk silver is still available for immediate delivery at $29, so those ASE and 90% prices are just uninformed FOMO.
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:42 am

Apmex this morning...

A Temporary $500 Minimum Order Is In Place. Processing Times May be Delayed. Message From Our CEO.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:44 am

68Camaro wrote:Well bulk silver is still available for immediate delivery at $29, so those ASE and 90% prices are just uninformed FOMO.

IMO, a short term top is forming. Prices/premiums are getting a bit too hot.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:38 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
68Camaro wrote:Well bulk silver is still available for immediate delivery at $29, so those ASE and 90% prices are just uninformed FOMO.

You may be right on the price of silver generally - as determined by the futures market.

But physical you or I can put our hands on is as tight as its ever been. From eBay to Apmex, premiums for ASE's are $18-20 and people are paying it. Other premiums are healthy too although ASE's of course will have the highest premium. I don't see any signs of more supply coming on line - if anything, its the opposite. Retailers are warning of delays because their wholesalers can't source enough product.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:55 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:

You may be right on the price of silver generally - as determined by the futures market.

But physical you or I can put our hands on is as tight as its ever been. From eBay to Apmex, premiums for ASE's are $18-20 and people are paying it. Other premiums are healthy too although ASE's of course will have the highest premium. I don't see any signs of more supply coming on line - if anything, its the opposite. Retailers are warning of delays because their wholesalers can't source enough product.

Yes, I meant the spot price. Whenever spot drops a few dollars, FOMO tends to fade and the overall demand slows down a bit. I don't think 90% will ever come back to $0.50 over spot because of the finite amount out there, but if things do not get dramatically worse 90% premiums will probably come back to $3-6 at some point. Apmex 90% premium was just lowered today from $17 to $16, that means buying is already slowing.

The high premiums for ASEs always befuddled me. They are minted in high quantities every year, so there really is no finite supply. $20 over spot per coin is just silly. The people that pay that have FOMO fever and may regret it later.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:58 pm

Agree with you. Why pay so much for ASE's when you can get fractional silver (junk) for less or Canadian ASEs for a fraction of the premium.

And its the futures market that determines the spot price of physical bullion, other than the premium. So your fear may come to fruition.

Medium term, I'm see a lot of propoganda about a weak dollar and if that happens than PMs will take off. If there were a currency that was anywhere close to as good as dollars, it might have already happened. But no one is clamoring for rubles, yuan, or even euros.

All the strength in PMs recently has been DESPITE a strong dollar.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:35 pm

CU Penny Horder was right, they've taken spot down almost a buck already
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Doctor Steuss » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:08 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:[...] Canadian ASEs for a fraction of the premium. [...]

Anecdotally... While not a Maple, I actually tried to sell a Canadian silver coin to an LCS last week (it's one of the "$20 for $20" .9999 silver coins), and they wouldn't take it. They sit around too long in the shop because they have sales tax added onto them.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:00 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:CU Penny Hoarder was right, they've taken spot down almost a buck already

All the "dump the US dollar" talk/action by foreign countries over the last 2 weeks should've sent PMs to the moon and the stock market crashing, but it didn't.

PMs to dump more this week.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:06 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote: PMs to dump more this week.

I hope you are right. The lower they go the better!!
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:10 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
All the "dump the US dollar" talk/action by foreign countries over the last 2 weeks should've sent PMs to the moon and the stock market crashing, but it didn't.

I'm no fan of FRNs, but I'm hearing a cacophony of "the reserve status of the dollar is over." Most of the people spouting this don't know what happened in 1933 or 1971. It strikes me as propoganda.

If other countries dump the dollar, what will they use instead? For trade, gold is too scarce and too volatile. The Russians don't want yuan, and the Chinese don't want rubles.

They've set up the yuan and the Shanghai exchange to be convertible to physical gold, but there are no chinese bonds of meaningful size or other plumbing for a payment system or reserve currency status.

The dollar is simply the less dirty shirt in a pile of dirty laundry, and its the least dirty by a mile.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed May 03, 2023 10:34 am

Apmex just lowered their 90% premium by 25%. That's currently lower than SD Bullion. Buyers getting cold feet and supply coming back... regardless of what Andy Schectman says. :roll:

https://www.apmex.com/product/27/90-silver-coins-100-face-value-bag
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals