90% junk premiums are crazy high

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: 90% junk premiums are crazy high

Postby Investin Cents » Wed May 03, 2023 10:58 pm

So that Apmex price is about 28X face value.

I just paid 26X face at a local dealer.

I came here to see if I got a good deal and apparently I did.

Thanks everyone! :D
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." - JFK - 1962

Current book: American Values - RFK Jr.; Favorite website (other than Realcent): Zerohedge.com; Favorite metals in order: Ag, Au, Pt, CuZn, CuZnSn, Cu, Ni, Al, CuNi and of course Pb encased in Cu [in various forms and sizes :)]
Investin Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu May 04, 2023 10:08 am

Investin Cents wrote:So that Apmex price is about 28X face value.

I just paid 26X face at a local dealer.

I came here to see if I got a good deal and apparently I did.

Thanks everyone! :D

Bought a truck load in March 2020 at around $12 just before premiums started to sky... $0.49 cents over spot. Quite possibly the last great buying opportunity of my lifetime.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon May 08, 2023 3:13 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Bought a truck load in March 2020 at around $12 just before premiums started to sky... $0.49 cents over spot. Quite possibly the last great buying opportunity of my lifetime.

I was not in the right place and time to buy back then. Were many online dealers selling close to spot back then?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue May 09, 2023 6:41 am

JerrySpringer wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Bought a truck load in March 2020 at around $12 just before premiums started to sky... $0.49 cents over spot. Quite possibly the last great buying opportunity of my lifetime.

I was not in the right place and time to buy back then. Were many online dealers selling close to spot back then?

Don't know because I only dealt with Apmex. Took half my market profits (covid crash shorting) from that month and I practically cleaned them out of $100FV bags, which fell below $1000 each for a very short time. Pretty sure it was a Sunday night and I guess no one was there to adjust the premiums while the Ag price was getting smashed. The premiums skied over the next couple hours. I made a special post here and told everyone to hurry up and buy that dip... I don't know if anyone here was able to catch it. I keep a live Ag futures price chart up ALL the time just in case. When Ag drops that fast and hard, you gotta be quick before the dealers raise the premiums. I did the same thing in 2008.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Histman » Tue May 09, 2023 1:52 pm

I just got a $100 face for X $22.50 face from my LCS. That is a good number from what I am seeing, but it pained me to do it. I won't be buying anymore anytime soon until the premiums go down and the cost is more reasonable. I pick up a lot here and there from eBay, here, and other online sources when they are reasonable. I wish I had the money now back when silver was $12.00 an ounce. I would have cleaned up.
Histman
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue May 09, 2023 3:20 pm

Histman wrote:I just got a $100 face for X $22.50 face from my LCS. That is a good number from what I am seeing, but it pained me to do it. I won't be buying anymore anytime soon until the premiums go down and the cost is more reasonable. I pick up a lot here and there from eBay, here, and other online sources when they are reasonable. I wish I had the money now back when silver was $12.00 an ounce. I would have cleaned up.

90% premiums have dropped a bit over the last 2 weeks, but I don't think premiums will come back to where they were before the plandemic hit... not in my lifetime anyway. Average premium on 90% right now is $10-12 above spot.

The main reasons ppl favor 90% coins are:
1. There's only a finite supply out there.
2. They're fractional.
3. They're US government issued (same as ASEs).

Anyone who wants to buy 90% or ASEs now is going to have to pay up in order to get them.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed May 10, 2023 3:58 am

CU, I completely agree with your 3 reasons but I would have listed them in reverse order.

I think what is surprising is that its taken folks this long to realize that 90% is arguably superior to ASE's. I mean, I've been buying ASE's since 2006 and except for a brief period in 2011 I think 90% has always been a much better value relative to ASE's.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed May 10, 2023 5:57 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:CU, I completely agree with your 3 reasons but I would have listed them in reverse order.

I think what is surprising is that its taken folks this long to realize that 90% is arguably superior to ASE's. I mean, I've been buying ASE's since 2006 and except for a brief period in 2011 I think 90% has always been a much better value relative to ASE's.

Absolutely. :thumbup: Been buying them since 1985.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Histman » Wed May 10, 2023 10:28 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
Histman wrote:I just got a $100 face for X $22.50 face from my LCS. That is a good number from what I am seeing, but it pained me to do it. I won't be buying anymore anytime soon until the premiums go down and the cost is more reasonable. I pick up a lot here and there from eBay, here, and other online sources when they are reasonable. I wish I had the money now back when silver was $12.00 an ounce. I would have cleaned up.

90% premiums have dropped a bit over the last 2 weeks, but I don't think premiums will come back to where they were before the plandemic hit... not in my lifetime anyway. Average premium on 90% right now is $10-12 above spot.

The main reasons ppl favor 90% coins are:
1. There's only a finite supply out there.
2. They're fractional.
3. They're US government issued (same as ASEs).

Anyone who wants to buy 90% or ASEs now is going to have to pay up in order to get them.

Yep, other than buying the Silver Eagle each year for the collection, I have always bought 90%, 40%, 35%, and loose rounds and poors. I've been with 90% for years for most of the reasons you listed. I also am thinking ahead. I'm not a prepper, but just in case the world goes to "heck" I'd like to have the silver for transactions. I'll keep buying the 90%, even with premiums, but only when I get a deal. My LCS is at $6.00 over spot right now. A month ago he was at $2.50.
Histman
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed May 10, 2023 12:45 pm

Histman wrote:Yep, other than buying the Silver Eagle each year for the collection, I have always bought 90%, 40%, 35%, and loose rounds and poors. I've been with 90% for years for most of the reasons you listed. I also am thinking ahead. I'm not a prepper, but just in case the world goes to "heck" I'd like to have the silver for transactions. I'll keep buying the 90%, even with premiums, but only when I get a deal. My LCS is at $6.00 over spot right now. A month ago he was at $2.50.

Decent price, considering what others are selling them for.

A month ago it was $2.50 over?... I would've bought everything he had at that price.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed May 10, 2023 4:43 pm

SD Bullion is buying at $6 over spot. works out to 31.3X
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Country » Wed May 10, 2023 6:42 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:SD Bullion is buying at $6 over spot. works out to 31.3X

$6 over spot is $31.39. At $31.39 it works out to 22.4X. ;)

What's APMEX paying right now ?
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu May 11, 2023 5:44 am

I stand corrected, thank you
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cwgii » Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:58 pm

Pawn shops yesterday.

A single Washington quarter $10

A bag of dimes, $5 each.

A single Ben Franklin, $18

Yikes
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:24 pm

cwgii wrote:Pawn shops yesterday.

A bag of dimes, $5 each.

Yikes

I've noticed that most pawn shops are a notorious rip-off when it comes to gold/silver coins.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby wheeler_dealer » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:59 pm

Haven't been to the coin shop in quite a while. Did catch a coin show with my nephew recently we grabbed a nice Morgan for $30.00. I have been slipping.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silver4face » Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:58 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
cwgii wrote:Pawn shops yesterday.

A bag of dimes, $5 each.

Yikes

I've noticed that most pawn shops are a notorious rip-off when it comes to gold/silver coins.

True. But I've seen rip-off prices on coins that are ZERO PERCENT gold/silver.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:40 pm

Premiums have been gradually heading lower over the last 2 months (you can thank Andy Schectman for his contrary FOMO/hype vids).

Apmex and SD now charging $9.00 over spot. Still high, but much better than $15 over spot.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby wheeler_dealer » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:20 am

Testing the market with some recent purchases.
Listed some common Franklin's on Craigslist at $15.00 each.
Received counter offer of $12.00 each
Not bad as my all in was $10.00 each.
Got some Mercury dimes I may test on Craigslist at $3.00 each or best offer.
Anyone willing to share thoughts or current purchase or sales prices? Thanks
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby stas3000 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:10 am

wheeler_dealer wrote:Testing the market with some recent purchases.

That was a good offer on the Franklins. Assuming the buyer is real. With CL it's no guarantee. :)

This thread is a good source of what top dealers charge on relatively large (for retail) lots of US pre-1965 90% silver coinage. APMEX right now (11 am Eastern on 6/20/23 :wave: ): 23.2x face for $100 face. URL: https://www.apmex.com/product/27/90-sil ... -value-bag. Small lots go for 24x, 25x, etc face but larger ones are 23x or so at the moment. APMEX offerings: https://www.apmex.com/category/25830/90 ... s-bags-all.

Some stores charge quite a bit more. (There were mentions of just that in this exact thread!) Those that want to move inventory fast offer at 23x, 22x or 21x face, I suppose.
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:03 am

Local demand seems strong and I can undercut 90% of the resellers locally and still get fair market prices.
Will be posting some here soon.
I have some dimes coming up I bought from Ray (Beaunaderos) decade ago. Never touched by me -I'm sure Ray probably checked them pre-sale but the new owner might get lucky. These were before mercury dimes were in demand.
Anyone willing to send me a tutorial for how to take and post pictures with my Android phone. P.M. if easier.
Thanks
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:51 am

wheeler_dealer wrote:Testing the market with some recent purchases.

Right now there are more sellers than buyers. This will escalate.

Ag is going sub $20. After that even more people will throw in the towel.

MUCH better deals coming. ;)
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:58 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
Ag is going sub $20. After that even more people will throw in the towel.

MUCH better deals coming. ;)

I hope you are right. I would love to see $15 silver or even lower. It would give me the opportunity to stack more ounces. Although the premium would probably be at least $10 an ounce so silver will still cost $25 :evil:
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby texcollex » Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:48 pm

SD Bullion is selling at $6.49 over spot right now. Wish I had cash to grab some.
texcollex
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:29 pm

texcollex wrote:SD Bullion is selling at $6.49 over spot right now. Wish I had cash to grab some.

Save your cash. I have a feeling a better buying opportunity is coming... sub $20 soon. That will shake out a lot of weak hands.

I always back up the truck on PMs when bullion dealers tell me no one is buying and the stock market (and/or crypto) is all the rage.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals