Today's Silver Jump

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Today's Silver Jump

Postby Doctor Steuss » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:33 am

Hoping one of our silver market experts might have some insight on possible reasons for today's bump.

Up over 5% in about 3 hours.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Today's Silver Jump

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:01 pm

I am curios about the price jump also.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:22 pm

The SLV (silver) ETF closed at $19.09, up a whopping $1.59 (9.1%) from Friday’s $17.50 close.

9.1% is considered a decent YEAR to some people, let alone day! Also, the volume of 39.9 million shares traded was the highest since July 1.

Per a Jim Wyckoff article on Kitco, investment bank Credit Suisse may be in serious financial difficulty. Whether that means they are on the verge of bankruptcy or a bailout of some kind is something I don’t want to handicap.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:06 am

My take... The stock market dragged the price upwards with everything else. There's no way to tell if Ag had any relative strength because everything was up yesterday. +9% is a big move, but silver has always been much more volatile compared to gold. Probably some big shorts positions got covered too.

Higher Ag is better higher than lower Ag. :)
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:33 am

It was due largely to a significant drop in the previously inflated US dollar, which had started to approach 115. As to the amount of change, silver almost always overreacts both on rhe way down as well as on the way up (I suspect the overreaction is essentially one type of market manipulation used once the market makers realize the direction the USD is going. They have less control over the price of gold and you will see it make the same direction move but lower in magnitude.)

One small sub factor in the change in the USD was the decison of the new UK government to drop a plan to reduce taxes on the those making over 150,000 pounds sterling (I believe that was the amount - at least in that range). The pound had been tanking but reversed on that decision.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby wagsthadog » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:00 pm

Hi all!

Definitely not an expert, and agree with the previous posts.

My take is that the stock market is betting that central banks can't handle the modest rise in interest rates, and are going to collectively 'give up' and resume QE. This means that more inflation is probably coming down the pike, combined with lots more unemployment and higher prices. The 'stagflation' that we so often hear about... very good for commodities, I think.

Plus it remains to be seen what will happen now that Russia seems willing to defend its new territory with full force military response. Interesting times!

Wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:21 am

Only 8 days has passed and it's back down to $18 again. Spike was because it went up with everything else. +9% is impressive for 1 day, but no relative strength on that move.

I maintain it's going back to $12-14 area, possibly lower. Keep lots of dry powder ready. Premiums are a bit discouraging though.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:58 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote: I maintain it's going back to $12-14 area, possibly lower.

I'm hoping for $10

But the premium will probably also be $10 so the actual price you will pay will still be $20
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:07 pm

The price, while always interesting, is also irrelevant because there will be MONSTROUS PREMIUMS. Someday we might see 8 dollar silver with 24 dollar premiums!!!!! The best way to buy silver is from banks for face value. That way you pay NO premium unless you consider your time a premium. I personally like to hunt it down.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverflake » Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:42 pm

Did anyone else get the email today from APMEX? They are buying back silver eagles for spot + $10!!!! They are selling (at the time I checked) for spot + $20!!!!! (unless you buy bulk, then it's spot +$18)

Wow! I am almost tempted to sell my eagles then buy some kangaroos or something like that.....but, nah.

Stack like you mean it
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:48 am

silverflake wrote:Did anyone else get the email today from APMEX? They are buying back silver eagles for spot + $10!!!! They are selling (at the time I checked) for spot + $20!!!!! (unless you buy bulk, then it's spot +$18)

Wow! I am almost tempted to sell my eagles then buy some kangaroos or something like that.....but, nah.

Stack like you mean it

Please don't do that.

The rest of the world has not caught on yet... but when they do... yikes.

I believe premiums will go 200-300% above spot.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:26 am

Cu Penny Hoarder, it was only a fleeting thought. My Eagles are safe and would probably be some of the last silver i ever sell. But thanks for your 2 cents. Much appreciated.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:34 am

silverflake wrote:Cu Penny Hoarder, it was only a fleeting thought. My Eagles are safe and would probably be some of the last silver i ever sell. [u]But thanks for your 2 cents.[/u] Much appreciated.

They're copper, not zinc! 8-)
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals