Silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver

Postby silverflake » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:25 pm

I have been a Realcent member for 12 years now. I do not post near as much as I did 8-12 years ago but I still value the opinions found on this site so I do check in if only to read posts on a weekly basis. With all that out of the way, it has become very obvious over the last few years that I am not the only one who posts less on this site. Perhaps there's more activity on BullionStacker, I don't know as I don't frequent that site. What I am getting at is this: In working from home like I do, I listen to lots of podcasts and of course a large portion of them are economic/financial in nature. More to the point, most are precious metals related. I listen to Andy Schectman from Miles Franklin, who generally makes the rounds on the PM podcasts like Arcadia Economics, silver bullion tv etc. I also listen to Mike Maloney from goldsilver.com, Rafi Farber, David Morgan and my favorite, Rick Rule. And in listening to these podcasts, silver is being bought up hand over fist by people like us, billionaires and sovereign governments (India in particular). And if you believe these guys (most provide good data/proof, some are more anecdotal and scream of dire times and massive shortages (Andy Schectman)) then silver is at a crux where its either going to disappear due to supply constraints (and thus price skyrocket) or it's going to be confiscated. Going back to the beginning of my post here, with all that I hear going on in the silver market, I have found that there's not as much....dare I say, excitement here on the site? I know it's a primarily copper cent site but the discussions leading up to the 2011 run up in PM prices was constant and sometimes controversial. I am curious to hear some thoughts on the future of silver.

Personally I have learned not to "invest" in physical silver (it could leave you frustrated and potentially disappointed). I use it as a hedge and as a diversifier of my hard earned federal reserve notes (along with gold, stocks, land, bonds, etc.). I have dollar cost averaged on a quarterly basis since 1993....yes 1993. And now here in 2022 I must say, I am getting bored with silver? Bored is not quite the right word because looking at some of the out-of-the-ordinary coins I have brings me joy and appreciation. But, I am just about done buying. The only thing that keeps me going is that I really can't find an alternative that's so affordable. But I keep hearing the pitch of how silver is second only to oil as far as it's usefulness as a natural substance here on Earth. I keep hearing how mining is decreasing, utilization is increasing and how no one in the public is aware of it. I have also become tired, nay, burned out listening to the narrative of market manipulation. Maybe silver is manipulated but it hasn't changed in the last 20 years, I don't see that changing either.

Well, the above is certainly a rant so let me tie it together with this. I would love to hear what you all are up in your silver endeavors, how you view the PM markets (especially silver) and if you still have any excitement in it.

This site is the best. the people here are the best. Silver certainly has a pull on me but let me know when you think enough is enough. Are you excited about the markets? Scared? Dismayed?

Keep stacking silver...unless you know of something else.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Silver

Postby wheeler_dealer » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:52 pm

We have seen a lot of our post contributing members pass on, move on or just peruse without posting. Ten plus years ago responses and topics were fast and furious. The site aged like many of us.
Like you, I spend more time than I should listening to podcasts from most of the same ones you do and more. (My employer probably wouldn't appreciate the amount of time I spend on you tube). They have a motive to continue preaching the same message. Sell products or advertisements. All that chatter aside there are enough independent news sources delivering news as well. I tend to listen because it is a subject I find interesting but it gets old.
I find that following the "real" local market to be my best source for what is going on.
I just got back from a real estate open house for an upcoming auction. The auctioneer, (I have personally known over thirty years), and I were talking about the property and the auction market in general. His perspective is the dollar is doomed. He says "buy real estate ", household goods sell but they aren't strong like they used to be. Antiques (good ones) are either unwanted or the buyer really needs to know value and sellers market. Last point he said "You know what always sell? Gold and silver" IMO he was accurate.
I follow multiple auctions weekly and coins take off the first day and they are at market price quickly. They always seem to sell at premiums to market and that's not including buyers premiums or tax.
While not actively buying, I actually have been selling, were someone to ask me I would advise buying silver and gold provided they can wait out a steep drop in price. With all the dollar troubles here and abroad physical is the only way I would suggest. Gold, silver, guns,ammo, food and consumables.
Store up six to twelve months food. Stock consumables for use first then barter. Better to have physical to barter and not be forced to sell it in a down period as we are in.
I'm still "excited " about long term prospects but I think my children and grandchildren will be the beneficiaries. That's my hope. Great post thanks
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:17 pm

Copper is not as sexy and expensive as it once was. Copper penny percentages continue to fall. That has hurt the interest in this forum. I’m not on other forums - maybe I should be? Perhaps there has been a shift away from forums to help other things like podcasts and youtube comments. I don’t know.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:51 pm

I’ve been on this site almost 10 years and am still very active. It does indeed seem like realcent has gotten very quiet. But my stock market friends also seem a lot more quiet over the past couple years or so. I don’t know if COVID scared a lot of people or if it was something else.

I still like silver (90% halves and ASE’s). I also stack copper cents and .999 Canadian nickels.

I’m tempted to attend a local coin club meeting and have no idea what to expect.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silverflake » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:34 pm

Recyclersteve, your contributions to realcent have been enormous. I always look forward to your input especially in the stock market.

As far as silver goes, I buy the cheapest sovereign 1oz. silver I can find every three months or so with whatever money I scrape together. Sometimes its as little as $250. I mainly buy from Provident. Thus I have a mish mash of silver Maples, K-rands, Brittannias, kangaroos and Philharmonics from the last few year since the shutdowns in 2020.

With respect to the price of silver remaining low, I don't care so much as far as my silver purchases go (though the premiums truly do stink) but I have a fair amount of PM stocks (WPM,GOLD,AG, GLDG, MAG,SILV and SII (not a "true" PM stock)) and the value of gold and especially silver just prevents these stocks from budging! Now that's frustrating! In my own defense I got my base positions at really low prices and I add occasionally and once in a while I can sell calls off GOLD, WPM and AG but man-o-man it would be nice to see some extended rallies in these companies.

Keep stacking, folks.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:02 pm

Silverflake, thanks for your nice comments. I do keep looking for potential deals in the stock market. It has been pretty quiet recently. Will keep the board posted as I uncover new opportunities.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals