Coin show today...sticker shock

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Coin show today...sticker shock

Postby cwgii » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:08 pm

Tucson had a coin show today. I could not believe what they wanted for circulated coin.
Dimes were 4-5$ Each. quarters were 10-12.
Common date wheats were $2.
And forget about bullion. Peace were $35. I did find some generic rounds at $26-32.

It has been a long time, maybe , never again.
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Coin show today...sticker shock

Postby JadeDragon » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:48 pm

Common Date Wheats at $2? I was reorganizing today and found 2500 counted into a bag. Maybe I should move it into a safe!
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby cwgii » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:11 pm

Heck I have rolls upon rolls from each year I went with an eye to seeing if I could sell my copper. But it was 90 percent graded coin one table was all Mexican another Canadian then the were the one of just gold. Even one that was Alaskan gold nuggets.

Very discouraged
cwgii

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:44 am

cwgii wrote:Tucson had a coin show today. I could not believe what they wanted for circulated coin.
And forget about bullion. Peace were $35. I did find some generic rounds at $26-32.

Circulated 90% dimes were $4-5 each? Roosevelt's?

Common date wheats were $2 a piece? :shock:

The new normal?... quite possibly.

As PM prices gets smashed along with the stock market, I suspect Ag bullion premiums will reach 200-300%.

Imagine 90% dimes selling for $10 a piece. By then the USD probably won't be worth sh*t.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:47 pm

Hey cwgii:

How many dealers were at the show? It sounds like you may be quoting prices from a single dealer. It is hard to imagine a show with, say, 20 dealers having all of them with these totally ridiculous prices. After all, they are competing with each other and don’t want to leave without selling much.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:24 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Hey cwgii:

How many dealers were at the show? It sounds like you may be quoting prices from a single dealer. It is hard to imagine a show with, say, 20 dealers having all of them with these totally ridiculous prices. After all, they are competing with each other and don’t want to leave without selling much.

About 30 total.with 5-6 doing ,odd stuff. Like nuggets foreign, old paper.

I only saw a couple of films buying. One gent pulled out a WAD of 100' s to buy a gold piece for 1700.
The other was 400 for a Carson city dollar.
cwgii

Postby cwgii » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:28 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
cwgii wrote:Tucson had a coin show today. I could not believe what they wanted for circulated coin.

Circulated 90% dimes were $4-5 each? Roosevelt's?

Both merc and rosies

Common date wheats were $2 a piece? :shock: there was one roll of wheats for $10 without a label as to the years.

The new normal?... quite possibly.

As PM prices gets smashed along with the stock market, I suspect Ag bullion premiums will reach 200-300%.

Imagine 90% dimes selling for $10 a piece. By then the USD probably won't be worth sh*t.
cwgii

Postby franklin » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:15 pm

If you cash out at that price, you'd best spend it that day before the dollar gets re-valued the next.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:30 pm

franklin wrote:Imagine 90% dimes selling for $10 a piece. By then the USD probably won't be worth sh*t.

If you cash out at that price, you'd best spend it that day before the dollar gets re-valued the next.

Absolutely.
Last edited by Cu Penny Hoarder on Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:31 pm

cwgii wrote:
Recyclersteve wrote:Hey cwgii:

About 30 total.with 5-6 doing ,odd stuff. Like nuggets foreign, old paper.

I only saw a couple of films buying. One gent pulled out a WAD of 100' s to buy a gold piece for 1700.
The other was 400 for a Carson city dollar.

Forgot to say thanks for the report. I haven't been to a coin show in many years. Interesting to hear what's going on out there.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:29 pm

How can common wheats be $2 each!!!! I buy them for face! Bought some today. All you got to do is open bank rolls. There is absolutely no skill in that!!!!! And banks are not pushing the shortage crap right now either (except for a couple of scattered A holes here and there). Say NO to greedy dealers and buy for face!!!!! You might even get some good dates if you put the time into it. I should go to a coin show next month and report findings.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Tourney64 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:05 am

You sure the $2 for common wheats wasn’t a roll?
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:06 am

You sure the $2 for common wheats wasn’t a roll?
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:30 pm

It all depends on what you are after. Premiums on bullion right now are INSANE!

Wholesale bid on 90% right now is $8.50 over....thats a 43.5% premium over spot for wholesale!

Proof gold in boxes is almost near that same level too!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby cwgii » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:37 pm

Tourney64 wrote:You sure the $2 for common wheats wasn’t a roll?

No, it was a bunch of cardboard flips. From 40-58
cwgii

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:50 am

highroller4321 wrote:It all depends on what you are after. Premiums on bullion right now are INSANE!

Wholesale bid on 90% right now is $8.50 over....thats a 43.5% premium over spot for wholesale!

Proof gold in boxes is almost near that same level too!

ASEs are ridiculous, but I'm more surprised by the premiums on 90%... highest premiums EVER.

Bags and bags full... feels good. :thumbup: :mrgreen: 8-)

The more limited the supply, the higher the premiums go. 200-300% premiums are coming... believe it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:00 pm

I went to a coin show yesterday. My first show in six years! It was a relatively small show (approximately 20 dealers.). One dealer was selling almost everything dirt cheap: Wheat pennies - 3 for a dime! Older nickels 3 for a quarter. Canadian and foreign very cheap. More importantly, he had the lowest price for SILVER - quarters for 4.50, 90 percent halves for 9 dollars. As for other dealers,. Quarters were 8 dollars and up. Pre 1965 halves were 13 and up. Junk peace dollars were 26 and up. Junk Morgans were around 30 and up. If you have questions, feel free to ask.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:14 pm

Silver4face wrote:I went to a coin show yesterday. My first show in six years! It was a relatively small show (approximately 20 dealers.). One dealer was selling almost everything dirt cheap: Wheat pennies - 3 for a dime! Older nickels 3 for a quarter. Canadian and foreign very cheap. More importantly, he had the lowest price for SILVER - quarters for 4.50, 90 percent halves for 9 dollars. As for other dealers,. Quarters were 8 dollars and up. Pre 1965 halves were 13 and up. Junk peace dollars were 26 and up. Junk Morgans were around 30 and up. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks for sharing this information. I have been watching some current local auctions and there are no deals to be had. Premiums are still high. What state are you in if you are willing to share.
Did you get any deals? Thanks
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:32 pm

Was at a gun show last week. One guy was selling average circulated Peace Dollars for $32 each... tried to get him down a couple bucks by offering to buy all of them for $25 each, he wouldn't budge.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:19 am

I think what many of you might be missing is, those of us who know the true numismatic value of these coins are really starting to fade away. That said, I think alot of the newbies are trying to jack up the values since the items are "old". I've seen it happen with toy cars, arcade games, and classic cars, so I suspect that it is all relative.

I also wouldn't apply this to copper cents per se, but I keep mulling in my head that there have to be alot of silver and gold coins out there that were already melted- since there is no way to count which ones are now truly gone (man we need a coin census, lol), it's only fair to conclude that those that remaining are also increasing in numismatic value alone. Just my .02 (and zinc, at that)
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:20 am

thecrazyone wrote:I think what many of you might be missing is, those of us who know the true numismatic value of these coins are really starting to fade away. That said, I think alot of the newbies are trying to jack up the values since the items are "old". I've seen it happen with toy cars, arcade games, and classic cars, so I suspect that it is all relative.

I think you're onto something here.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby wheeler_dealer » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:12 pm

Just checked E bay auctions and ASE's can be had at $32.00-$33.00. Well down from few weeks ago.
90% silver dime rolls are still strong.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:51 am

wheeler_dealer wrote:Just checked E bay auctions and ASE's can be had at $32.00-$33.00. Well down from few weeks ago.

As the Ag price moved above $20, the online bullion dealer premiums have not come down. Higher spot price + ridiculously high premiums are putting off potential buyers.

The black Friday bullion dealer specials this year were not that great. Apmex's site crashed, which happens every black Friday. They advertised 1oz gold CMLs on sale "at spot", but I cannot find anyone who was able to buy one, not even on the WSS forum (230K members). By the time the site came back up 20 minutes later, all the "at spot" deals were gone. I wouldn't be surprised if Apmex's Black Friday "at spot" sales are a fake marketing gimmick to get people to their website. Another thing Apmex (and others) does on black Friday and cyber Monday is run scam "deals"... i.e. they raise their prices even higher to say they cut the premiums. Apmex has fallen from grace these past couple years and their customer service has gotten worse too.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:57 pm

wheeler_dealer wrote:Just checked E bay auctions and ASE's can be had at $32.00-$33.00. Well down from few weeks ago.

Thanks for the update on that. I have not visited Ebay since the spring. In the spring, those ASE's were consistently fetching 36-40 dollars apiece.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals