First Time Ever Getting Silver Dollars at a Bank!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

First Time Ever Getting Silver Dollars at a Bank!

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:29 am

Today I had some extra time to hit up banks in my area looking for half dollars. I also routinely ask for dollar coins and take Ikes and SBA dollars as I have a friend who gives me $1.10 for each one I find.

So I asked a teller if she had any halves or dollars and she abruptly said no. I asked if anyone else in the bank had any and she checked with an older gentleman down at the end of the teller line. He started pulling out Ikes- I could tell immediately from the sound and size that they were Ikes. He had 11 dollar coins. But wait a minute- 2 of them looked different. One was a 1921-P Morgan dollar and another was a 1922-S Peace dollar! Then when I got home I realized that there were three silver dollars in total as there were two of the 1922-S dollars plus the 21-P Morgan!

This is the VERY FIRST TIME in my life that I've gotten silver dollars from a bank. I had a close friend who told me how he got some in the past. I remember reading online about several people who found them. So now, finally, I can join the club!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: First Time Ever Getting Silver Dollars at a Bank!

Postby Tourney64 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:02 am

Nice score!
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby theshoenlebens » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:39 am

Nice, my bank tellers know what to look for so a no-go for me. :D
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:26 am

Congratulations. Nice score.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:15 pm

I never ask for dollar coins. Never know there was a market for Susan B Anthony’s. Interesting and congratulations on the score.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby coindood » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:11 pm

Do you realize the gauntlet you had to navigate to get those Steve?

• Whoever brought them in didn't care or didn't know about their value
  • You were lucky enough that the tellers didn't snipe them
  • Other dollar hunters might've gotten them before you
Sweet score!
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:36 pm

Yes, I feel quite fortunate.

The teller told me he got them the evening before I came in. Then I was a bit surprised when he said “a couple of these look pretty old. This one is dated 1921 and this one is 1922.” I was thinking he might pull them aside and say he was saving them “for another customer.”
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Saabman » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:32 am

Woooohooo!!!!

Awesome score!!!! WTG!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby hirbonzig » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:34 am

Congrats on your score. I found a 1923 Peace dollar at the teller window about 10 years ago, they’re a rare find.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:13 am

Right place at the right time. Pure luck.

You're on a roll... play the powerball!
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby John Reich » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:47 am

Congratulations on your good fortune! I love hearing these stories. Gives me hope that a "big score" is just around the corner at my bank.
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Postby thecrazyone » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:48 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Yes, I feel quite fortunate.

The teller told me he got them the evening before I came in. Then I was a bit surprised when he said “a couple of these look pretty old. This one is dated 1921 and this one is 1922.” I was thinking he might pull them aside and say he was saving them “for another customer.”

I totally can't believe he did not do that. He should be working on a trash truck versus a bank.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:45 pm

Very nice 8-)

Those are almost Powerball type odds.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Silver4face » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:26 pm

thecrazyone wrote:
Recyclersteve wrote:Yes, I feel quite fortunate.

I totally can't believe he did not do that. He should be working on a trash truck versus a bank.

If he was working on a trash truck (aka garbage man) , he would probably be making MORE money than he does as a teller. As for you Steve, very nice score!!!!!!
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals