$30 or bust

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

$30 or bust

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:38 am

Ag has had a nice move up over the past 7 weeks. However, until it breaks out over $30, it's just in a trading range.

https://finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=SI&p=w1

Perhaps the crypto HODLers who got obliterated over the past year are finally beginning to see the light.

When the stock market dumps again and Ag continues moving higher, that will be a very positive confirmation.

I started collecting coins in 1975, but did not begin seriously accumulating Ag until 1985. It's been a long time. Extreme patience is required. I'm firmly convinced we will win, eventually.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Re: $30 or bust

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:36 pm

I believe this has been suggested (maybe even by me) but many forum posts are conflating paper silver prices with street physical prices and I think it would be helpful to ensure that readers understand what we mean in any given thread.

True price discovery is what physical metal sells for when it changes ownership. "Spot silver" or futures prices often diverge from "street" price because the system that has developed allows for an infinite amount of paper silver to be represented by a finite amount of physical. Periodically the paper shorts come up "short" and have to pay up - which can boost the price temporarily - but they are generally offered an off road from having to literally supply the silver they have promised by simply paying a penalty. That does not result in correct price discovery, and the entire system has been shown to result in major abuses.

(Other factors like form and seniorage also affect price but only by a buck or two per toz.)

I would estimate that the street price of basic bullion silver is at least $5 over "Spot" - perhaps even $10. That would put the street price of silver at more than $30 already. Despite some flucuation the street price has been largely over $30 for more than two years.

So how do we separate the terms so that posts can be most clear?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:50 pm

For some reason when I think of street value, I think of cocaine and heroin more than silver! :)

Camaro, that is a valid comment you made…
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:50 pm

68Camaro wrote:I believe this has been suggested (maybe even by me) but many forum posts are conflating paper silver prices with street physical prices and I think it would be helpful to ensure that readers understand what we mean in any given thread.

True price discovery is what physical metal sells for when it changes ownership. "Spot silver" or futures prices often diverge from "street" price because the system that has developed allows for an infinite amount of paper silver to be represented by a finite amount of physical. Periodically the paper shorts come up "short" and have to pay up - which can boost the price temporarily - but they are generally offered an off road from having to literally supply the silver they have promised by simply paying a penalty. That does not result in correct price discovery, and the entire system has been shown to result in major abuses.

(Other factors like form and seniorage also affect price but only by a buck or two per toz.)

I would estimate that the street price of basic bullion silver is at least $5 over "Spot" - perhaps even $10. That would put the street price of silver at more than $30 already. Despite some flucuation the street price has been largely over $30 for more than two years.

So how do we separate the terms so that posts can be most clear?

I'm aware of those things and totally agree... it's worth much more than the "spot" price. I was simply looking at technicals and doing basic analysis on the chart using the spot price.

As the price rises I believe premiums will come down, initially. Then when the spot price really starting rocketing, premiums will soar again based on availability and FOMO.

Many of us here loaded up on Ag many years ago. All we have to do now is sit back and wait.

We could also get phucked back to the stone age after the next crash/collapse. If that does happen water, food and ammo will be worth 1000x more than any PM. I'm hoping that does NOT happen.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:48 pm

Yes diversify... In all the possibilities that word means.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Morsecode » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:26 pm

I think actual is probably at 30 already.* :

(*disclaimer...I don't own any, or at least any significant amount, and likely never will again at my age.)

In other news: I attended our pre-winter Insulator show today and one of the dealers had some non-insulator items. Among them a 100 oz unbranded (I think) silver bar which he was asking $2400 for. Looked like an older bar maybe from the '80s or '90s, had a serial number and an eagle on it. I bought a bunch of nicely dated buffalo nickles from him and moved on to the next table.

My glass doo-hickeys may be as intrinsically valuable as a crypto coin but they look a whole lot cooler in a sunny window than a brick of metal locked in a safe! :lol: :roll:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Morsecode » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:31 pm

Just out of curiousity...who makes this bar? I found the pic online. Is it more contemporary than I thought?
Attachments
Screenshot_20221205-152733_DuckDuckGo-picsay.jpg
Screenshot_20221205-152733_DuckDuckGo-picsay.jpg (48.27 KiB) Viewed 402 times
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Doctor Steuss » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:39 pm

Morsecode wrote:Just out of curiousity...who makes this bar? I found the pic online. Is it more contemporary than I thought?

CNT

https://www.cnt.us/product/silver-varie ... t-minting/
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:23 pm

:thumbup:

Thanks
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:19 am

Monex says $24.25 as of today.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals