Second Time Getting Silver Dollars at a Bank!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Second Time Getting Silver Dollars at a Bank!

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:52 pm

On November 1st I posted about getting 3 silver dollars at a bank for the first time ever.

Well, today at a different bank about 4 miles away, it happened again! This time I was turning in some halves to get cash from my dump bank. While one teller was giving me cash another came in the door from his break and said, “ Steve, we’ve got 83 Ike dollars if you are interested.” I said I’d take them all.

It turns out it was another teller who had them and he “only” had 58. In going through the coins I noticed that there were TWO SILVER DOLLARS included with the Ikes. One was an 1879-O in VF-XF. The other was a 1925 plain Peace dollar in VG-Fine condition that looks like it has been cleaned.

Note that the 1879-O is the second oldest coin I’ve ever found. The oldest was an 1872 Indian cent found on 6/17/22.

I guess finding these coins today helps contribute to the theory that good coins can be found during the holiday season.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Second Time Getting Silver Dollars at a Bank!

Postby wheeler_dealer » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:43 pm

Called by your first name by the tellers and offered ike's nice. Great find on Silver. Congrats
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby agmoose » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:24 pm

Wow - that's awesome. I've never been able to find a Morgan or Peace at a bank, but did get a Morgan at a gas station a few years ago.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby thecrazyone » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:52 pm

agmoose wrote:Wow - that's awesome. I've never been able to find a Morgan or Peace at a bank, but did get a Morgan at a gas station a few years ago.

How? Did you ask them if they had oddball coins? Or did they just give it to you in change?
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:53 pm

thecrazyone wrote:
agmoose wrote:Wow - that's awesome. I've never been able to find a Morgan or Peace at a bank, but did get a Morgan at a gas station a few years ago.

How? Did you ask them if they had oddball coins? Or did they just give it to you in change?

I saw the guy in front of me give it to the teller as part of a pocket full of change to buy a pack of cigarettes. There were two 1964 Kennedy's in the handful of change too, but no other silver. He was a young guy, maybe 22ish.....and riding a bmx bicycle to the store. He prob took his grandpas coins to feed the nicotine habit.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:33 pm

Sweet. The last time I got a real silver dollar from a bank is when I was a kid in the early 70's. My uncle told the branch manager I collected coins and he saved it for me... a 1921 morgan, and I still have it.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:45 am

That’s great!
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals