Will we ever be able to know how many are left?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Will we ever be able to know how many are left?

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:28 am

I picked up 2 silver coins yesterday, and wondered if we will ever be able to know how many of each year are left in existence? I'm sure the melting rate has probably been going so fast that we will never be able to know.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Re: Will we ever be able to know how many are left?

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:49 am

Wow:

"Coen estimated that of all the silver coins produced by the United States Mint, only about one-quarter survived the ongoing melts."

"I personally melted a lot of uncirculated dollars," he said. "When silver went so high, they were worth more money dead than alive."

"Many silver proof coins were melted, for example. So were certain semi-key silver coins in lesser grades."

"Essentially," Carr observed, "the key coins now are common, since they're the ones that were saved -- and the formerly common coins are now rare, since most of them were melted."

https://www.pcgs.com/news/after-the-mel ... lver-coins
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:25 pm

Saying that 1932 D & S quarters are common now is an exaggeration. But they are more common than they were relative to, say, 1964 P & D quarters. The gap between the two is still HUGE.

Another factor to consider. I think lots of coin collectors from years ago either don’t collect anymore or they (like me) morphed into hoarders of base and precious metals. Or they died…
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:34 pm

I believe that article is from about 20 years ago.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:34 pm

This has been a hot topic of debate since around 1980. In 1980 there were HUGE amounts of 90% melted down... gone forever.

This is just one of the many reasons I love the 90% stuff.

Proud to be a multi-bag holder!
Attachments
bag.png
bag.png (278.45 KiB) Viewed 673 times
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:46 pm

68Camaro wrote:I believe that article is from about 20 years ago.

Yeah, definitely older but still a good (and shocking) read.
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:03 pm

Anyone ever read "The Big Silver Melt" by Henry Merton? I look for it on ebay and/or amazon once in a while but it's always like $50 or more. Supposedly gives an in depth analysis of how many coins were melted after silver was removed from circulating coins in 1964. Description is as follows:

"Discusses the illegal melting of American silver coinage during the 1960s and lists the values and remaining quantities of silver coins"

I believe someone on this site may have recommended it? I think I heard Mike Maloney of goldsilver.com recommend it too.

If anyone has read it and can contribute to this thread that'd be cool. Also is the book worth dropping 50 fed notes on?

Book is old (1983) but I am sure there's some interesting tidbits in it.

In the meantime, keep stacking!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:14 am

silverflake wrote:Anyone ever read "The Big Silver Melt" by Henry Merton? I look for it on ebay and/or amazon once in a while but it's always like $50 or more. Supposedly gives an in depth analysis of how many coins were melted after silver was removed from circulating coins in 1964. Description is as follows:

"Discusses the illegal melting of American silver coinage during the 1960s and lists the values and remaining quantities of silver coins"

I believe someone on this site may have recommended it? I think I heard Mike Maloney of goldsilver.com recommend it too.

If anyone has read it and can contribute to this thread that'd be cool. Also is the book worth dropping 50 fed notes on?

I remember reading this book a LONG TIME AGO and being impressed with it, but that was likely before the internet and it was a lot easier to be impressed by stuff back then. I agree that certain dates are very hard to find. I’m pretty sure he mentioned, for instance, the 1915-S dimes and 1913-P quarters, but I am unable to quickly find my copy of the book. I mention those specific dates because I hoarded them for a few years, but had a bunch of them stolen from my storage locker in 2019. So who knows where they are now…
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:06 am

The book has been discussed here many times. I had a copy within the past 10 years, loaned it out and didn't get it back. Very interesting book about the back stories of what was going on at the time. At the time of the melt I was newly graduated with a new job in a new city and state and was so focused on those things that I was barely aware of any trends going on around me. The book is worth reading for the historical elements - not sure the rarity predictive portions are worth buying it for those parts alone.

You might be able to reserve a copy at your library to read.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:48 am

This is a really fun book to read. I think I bought a copy from someone on this site in the KSA a number of years ago. I may actually have two copies, I will have to look.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby thecrazyone » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:14 pm

thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:57 pm

I started picking up copies of The Big Silver Melt from used book sellers and selling them through the Copper Cave for $15.95 back in 2010. I tried to keep a few in stock since they were relatively few and far between. The price kept creeping up, eventually to $24.95 and $29.95 as they became harder to find. Suddenly in late 2019 all seven copies I had in stock sold in the course of a week or two. I looked on eBay and Amazon shortly after that and they were going for hundreds :shock:

I auctioned off a copy signed by the author here at Realcent once. Kinda wish I had kept that one.
natsb88

Postby natsb88 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:02 pm

The price tracking gets new/used prices mixed up when there are only used available. And there's no guarantee they sold at the listed price, just that sellers listed at those prices.

bigmelt.PNG
bigmelt.PNG (77.12 KiB) Viewed 619 times
natsb88

Postby silverflake » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:31 pm

Theres a used copy for sale on Amazon for $60. I am still not a buyer. But thanks for the feedback. I may check my library, thanks 68camaro - sometimes the answer may be the easy one (yes, I have a library card!)

Stack!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thecrazyone » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:51 am

silverflake wrote:Anyone ever read "The Big Silver Melt" by Henry Merton? I look for it on ebay and/or amazon once in a while but it's always like $50 or more. Supposedly gives an in depth analysis of how many coins were melted after silver was removed from circulating coins in 1964. Description is as follows:

OK, which one of you is this? I also love the pic on the last page that says "not to be sold", yet, it's on eBay :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264932923889?h ... BMnsGE97lh
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:06 am

Only $800 bucks? Better jump right on that!!
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:21 am

NDFarmer wrote:Only $800 bucks? Better jump right on that!!

At least it's cheaper than a troy oz of gold :)
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:31 pm

NDFarmer wrote:Only $800 bucks? Better jump right on that!!

Yes, totally ridiculous.

Still, I'd rather pay $800 for this book than $21K for a blipcoin.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:33 pm

But its only $38.16 @ month for 24 months! :shock:
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby thecrazyone » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:40 pm

TXSTARFIRE wrote:But its only $38.16 @ month for 24 months! :shock:

"Buy now, pay later"
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:34 am

I did some checking and I only have one copy of this book. I bought it from Nate on a KSA in 2015.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Country » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:14 pm

Me too. Got my one copy from Nate. Took me awhile today to find it. :thumbup:
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:45 pm

this is sure a neat thread.........i remember a few years back, like 2014, we were discussing this, and a few guys testified they were shoveling 90's, Gem BU's into the smelter.....i think its GREAT nobody has a real handle on unslabbed populations.....my first post back, i was writting about several purchases of late, two of which were $10 face rolls of 1946s Washington's.....the mintage is like 4 mln....and the commentary said that since guys KNEW it was low mint, everybody "saved" this date and mint..........you sure?....
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:50 pm

I can picture people just melting away, with their eyes looking like they'd seen the ring from the Lord of the Rings saga. I doubt they cared about the rarer instances of the coins when they were getting paid hand over fist.
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:49 pm

neilgin! Long time no see, glad to see you back!
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals