Oops.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Oops.

Postby thecrazyone » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:25 pm

Met a Vietnam vet over the weekend who said at a time when he had 10 krugerrands, one of his children took 5 of them to go buy gum at the local store. :O

He said he went to the store in his uniform and demanded them back.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Re: Oops.

Postby Morsecode » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:38 pm

I recall when I was 7 or 8 (1965 maybe) spending a bunch of my older brother's buffalo nickels, right out of the Whitman folders. Naturally, I invested most of them in bars.

Pay Day, 3 Musketeers, O'Henrys....
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:11 pm

Morsecode wrote:I recall when I was 7 or 8 (1965 maybe) spending a bunch of my older brother's buffalo nickels, right out of the Whitman folders. Naturally, I invested most of them in bars.

Pay Day, 3 Musketeers, O'Henrys....

Yeah, when cigarette machines were in donut shops, I stole buffalo nickels from my brother's coin collection and bought Marlboros. Probably 80 cents back then.

If you frequent the Reddit sub r/crh , you'll see it is still likely that relatives are raiding their spouse's, grandparents', sibling's collections and dumping them at banks for the quick cash :o
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverflake » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:04 am

I'm sure I have related this story somewhere here before but, I am 54 and telling the same story over and over again is what 54 year olds do right?

Mid 1990's my brother was a bar tender on Cape Cod. Bar tending for the 3 summer months on the Cape was very lucrative. However, one night some young college girl bought a round for the girls and when she paid for it there was a mix of dollar bills and a roll of quarters that she slapped on the bar. My brother is not dumb and immediately opened the end and slid some out. You guessed it - pre-65 silver Washingtons. My brother says to her: "Where'd you get these?" and without hesitation she says: "My father's sock drawer." With a tinge of guilt my brother supposedly says to her: "You should give these back to your Dad." Then, according to my brother, and he is pretty trustworthy, she says: "Well then you're not getting paid,". Plunk, into my brothers pocket goes the roll and he of course slid his own $10 into the till. He's not really into coin collecting so every couple of years or so he asks me what they are worth. All I tell him is "More than ten dollars..."

Stack, brothers. And sisters.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:57 am

In the early 2000's I used to frequent a local diner. I figured out that a senior customer would sometimes give them silver quarters to pay for her meal (oops). I would wait around until she paid, then give the cashier $2-3 in exchange for quarters so I could do my laundry. Over the course of a year I culled around twenty 90% quarters from that diner register, all 1964s.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:15 am

Great stories!!

One of my many hobbies is collecting old arcade machines. I get them broken for free, or very cheap, and fix them up for my family to enjoy.

Although I never got to see the buckets full, the coin buckets in these things are deep and would probably hold hundreds of dollars worth of quarters. You know that silvers had to be making their way into them!
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby pmbug » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:04 am

When I was a young kid, I had an uncanny knack for finding money everywhere. I found coins on the ground, in coin return (change) slots in public telephones and arcade/pinball machines, in seats (like a doctor's office) and whatnot. I would also find dollar bills everywhere. My parents and siblings were awed by my prowess.

Alas, I never got a proper education on the value of 90% silver and blew most of my treasure on candy, comic books or toys. I'm not so lucky today!
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu

You can find me ranting at clouds on pmbug.com.
pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Silver4face » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:07 pm

pmbug wrote:When I was a young kid, I had an uncanny knack for finding money everywhere. I found coins on the ground, in coin return (change) slots in public telephones and arcade/pinball machines, in seats (like a doctor's office) and whatnot. I would also find dollar bills everywhere. My parents and siblings were awed by my prowess.

Alas, I never got a proper education on the value of 90% silver and blew most of my treasure on candy, comic books or toys. I'm not so lucky today!

Don't feel bad, 99 percent of America is UNPROPERLY EDUCATED. They know absolutely nothing about silver, copper, nickel, brass, scrap etc. I was in that 99 percent group until 2011. I am guessing that the odds of a high school student knowing about 35, 40, 80, and 90 percent silver is more than 5000 to 1.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals