Gold and silver seem to be going back up thx to banking mess

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Gold and silver seem to be going back up thx to banking mess

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:46 am

Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Re: Gold and silver seem to be going back up thx to banking

Postby pmbug » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:56 am

It will be interesting to see if premiums on physical also rise - if physical gold/silver become more scarce or not.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu

You can find me ranting at clouds on pmbug.com.
pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:43 am

pmbug wrote:It will be interesting to see if premiums on physical also rise - if physical gold/silver become more scarce or not.

It already has. As I type this 90% premiums are $10-12 above spot again.

With all the bailouts going on, they are trying to knock gold back down. They cannot have it above $2000 oz, that would be a threat to national security! :? :shifty:
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby pmbug » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:06 am

90% shows physical scarcity in a product that has no current production. While indicative of demand from precious metals enthusiasts, I was musing more about wholesale/retail tightness with bullion - especially the larger forms favored by institutional buyers.

pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:38 pm

A guy from Miles Franklin was on the internet saying he’s doing about a month’s worth of business PER DAY since the banking crisis began. He said it was the wildest he’s seen in his 33-years in the biz.

My wildest memory of silver was in 1980 when it peaked at $50. After debating for about an hour with my brother, he agreed to come with me to sell our silver, all but the better dates. We got to the coin shop and it was absolutely PACKED. They had bags of silver sitting all across the back counter because the vaults were full. There was an armed guard out front. The shop owner shouted out to everyone “I’m not buying anymore silver.” I reminded him that I used to clean his toilets, and he said “Ok, you two boys (my brother and I) are the last 2 I’m buying from.” Great timing on that sale!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:17 am

lol I missed the top in 1980. Wasn't the last top I missed.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:30 am

Recyclersteve wrote:A guy from Miles Franklin was on the internet saying he’s doing about a month’s worth of business PER DAY since the banking crisis began. He said it was the wildest he’s seen in his 33-years in the biz.

My wildest memory of silver was in 1980 when it peaked at $50. After debating for about an hour with my brother, he agreed to come with me to sell our silver, all but the better dates. We got to the coin shop and it was absolutely PACKED. They had bags of silver sitting all across the back counter because the vaults were full. There was an armed guard out front. The shop owner shouted out to everyone “I’m not buying anymore silver.” I reminded him that I used to clean his toilets, and he said “Ok, you two boys (my brother and I) are the last 2 I’m buying from.” Great timing on that sale!

In late 1979 I was 13 and I remember going with my uncle to sell most of his 90% to a local LCS guy. A sign in his front window read: "Paying $20 for silver dollars". The store owner was named 'Lenny' and he wore a gold Pulsar watch. I would become a customer of Lenny's a few years after this. By the late 80's I bought many Peace and Morgan's from for $5-6 each and bags of 90% near spot when no one seemed to want it. He closed the store in 1995. I still have most of the coins I bought from him.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:07 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:A guy from Miles Franklin was on the internet saying he’s doing about a month’s worth of business PER DAY since the banking crisis began. He said it was the wildest he’s seen in his 33-years in the biz.

THAT was an excellent share, Thank You sir.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:12 pm

Recyclersteve wrote: I reminded him that I used to clean his toilets, and he said “Ok, you two boys (my brother and I) are the last 2 I’m buying from.” Great timing on that sale!

Talk about the benefits of having a sh*t job

XD
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:01 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:. They cannot have it above $2000 oz, that would be a threat to national security! :? :shifty:

Can you explain in simple English why $2k is such a magical number? It has traded above that level (admittedly briefly) at least a couple of times in recent years, including this past week.

This sounds a bit like when I heard that when a decent home (not a mansion of say, 10,000 sqft.) costs $1,000,000 or more the residential real estate market won’t be able to deal with it. Yet, homes that aren’t all THAT GREAT or big have sold for over $1m in California for many years. Ditto for Manhattan apartments. And that has leaked out to suburban places in/near Boston, Seattle, Phoenix and Miami.

So why aren’t those homes selling for WAY LESS than $1 million, even after the recent pullback? I don’t have a good simple explanation without trotting out a quote about supply vs. demand, etc.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby silverflake » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:17 am

Tried to post this in Neil's "It's getting REAL" thread but site just wouldn't let me....but this thought fits here too.

So here's how things are getting "real" especially in the precious metals realm, if there's anyone here who has ever ordered from SD Bullion (I have, and have had only good experiences) they sent out an impassioned email yesterday, long and informative and very sincere about the market conditions they are dealing with but here's the highlights:

1. Orders have exceeded their ability to process efficiently thus they hired extra staff, raised wages etc.
2. They are currently 7 days behind on shipping out orders.
3. They have increased their minimum order threshold to $500

Perhaps the banking system fears will subside somewhat with the public, or maybe the wake up call has finally got out and the masses are starting to get into real money. I don't know. But at least temporarily and anecdotally, to quote Neil: Yeah, "It's Getting Real"

Stack if you can find it.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:50 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:. They cannot have it above $2000 oz, that would be a threat to national security! :? :shifty:

Recyclersteve wrote:Can you explain in simple English why $2k is such a magical number? It has traded above that level (admittedly briefly) at least a couple of times in recent years, including this past week.

Because... everytime gold gets to $2000, TPTB tamp it back down. No complicated explanation is needed. They did the same thing when gold kept bumping up against $1000/oz. Took a while for it to finally break through that level.

They want people to worship and believe in their fiat USD, not REAL money like gold or silver. But you already know that.

Also, notice that when gold fails to breakout of $2000 and starts sinking again, the stock market rises again. All rigged nonsense.
Last edited by Cu Penny Hoarder on Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:57 am

silverflake wrote:Tried to post this in Neil's "It's getting REAL" thread but site just wouldn't let me....but this thought fits here too.

So here's how things are getting "real" especially in the precious metals realm, if there's anyone here who has ever ordered from SD Bullion (I have, and have had only good experiences) they sent out an impassioned email yesterday, long and informative and very sincere about the market conditions they are dealing with but here's the highlights:

1. Orders have exceeded their ability to process efficiently thus they hired extra staff, raised wages etc.
2. They are currently 7 days behind on shipping out orders.
3. They have increased their minimum order threshold to $500

Perhaps the banking system fears will subside somewhat with the public, or maybe the wake up call has finally got out and the masses are starting to get into real money. I don't know. But at least temporarily and anecdotally, to quote Neil: Yeah, "It's Getting Real"

Stack if you can find it.

SD bullion seems a lot more honest and forthright than the other bullion dealers. That will boost their integrity and sales significantly in the future. I don't have anymore inside dirt/info on Ampex anymore since my informant girl there quit last year.

I feel sorry for ppl that don't have any PMs. A very harsh reality going to smack them across their face someday... sooner than later.

Can't buy PMs?... buy water, canned food and ammo instead.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:31 pm

I stopped at the ATM today to get cash out and got a brand new, crisp $10. Never used. I thought about this thread, lol
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:47 pm

If you guys are thinking of purchasing some gold and silver, just wait a couple of days. I placed an order with provident metals today. Thus, spot price should now pull back. It's always the way.

Stack. Soon.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:10 am

silverflake wrote:If you guys are thinking of purchasing some gold and silver, just wait a couple of days. I placed an order with provident metals today. Thus, spot price should now pull back. It's always the way.
Stack. Soon.

Thanks for the warning. The same thing happens when I make a purchase. I am still waiting for $15 silver. I hope it gets there.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:17 am

NDFarmer wrote:
silverflake wrote:If you guys are thinking of purchasing some gold and silver, just wait a couple of days. I placed an order with provident metals today. Thus, spot price should now pull back. It's always the way.
Stack. Soon.

Thanks for the warning. The same thing happens when I make a purchase. I am still waiting for $15 silver. I hope it gets there.

And when it gets back down there ppl must not hesitate to buy it. Although the premiums could be double or triple by then.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:40 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
NDFarmer wrote:
Stack. Soon.

And when it gets back down there ppl must not hesitate to buy it. Although the premiums could be double or triple by then.

I agree if silver were to go to $15 the premium would crazy. Probably $6 to $7 per ounce so you would still be paying $21 or $22 per ounce for it. I wonder if we will ever get a chance to purchase silver under $20 including the premium anytime in the future?
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:27 am

As far as the price of PMs going back up (or down) I live by the mantra put forth by many on this site that price doesn't matter. Thus, I buy every 3 months regardless of price or world events. Sometimes I don't have a whole lot of dollars, sometimes I am lucky to have a bigger chunk. So in essence I am practicing dollar cost averaging and it has worked well for the last 25 years. Regular periodic buying also prevents me from falling into that "FOMO" frame of mind. Overall it's a method that I am comfortable with.

Stack. Stack monthly, quarterly, yearly...whatever works for you. Just do it.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:47 am

Stack. Soon.

I am still waiting for the Silverflake dip!! :D Couldn't wait any longer I bought some this morning, so spot price should definitely go down now!!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:00 pm

Silver gapped up about a buck today!
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:44 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:Silver gapped up about a buck today!

Always a good thing when it's up, but right now it's still in a trading range.

The big resistance point is $30. Once it breaks out of that, we should be off to the races. :wave:
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:14 pm

The prices still largely depend on the USD. USD dropped fairly big today in one hit, and has dropped quite a bit over the past months. (There are some changes to gold or silver prices on top of that; last time gold hit these prices silver was over $28, so silver has some catching up to do.) But the USD is still "high" relative to long-term norms, 75-80 would be more typical than the 101 of today, and if the USD actually takes a true hit - dropping below 72 where it has never been before, we're looking at $3000 gold and $50+ silver in no time, and it will go up from there. On the other hand, when that happens, there's not a lot to celebrate about, because at that point everything denominated in dollars (all products, and all dollar savings) will be trending to crap.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby thecrazyone » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:48 am

Silver is hanging on at $25!
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby pmbug » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:56 am

The Fed's next rate decision is due Wednesday.

They are expected to announce the last 0.25 rate hike for the year. I expect that gold and silver will likely fall a bit immediately after the announcement and then bounce back and resume a slow upward trajectory.

If the Fed does not raise rates, I expect gold and silver to pop up a little bit.

Probably Thursday, markets will actually pay attention to what Powell says regarding forward guidance (more rate hikes anticipated vs. a pause/wait and see mode).

pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals