JM Bullion

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

JM Bullion

Postby Doctor Steuss » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:54 pm

I was going to take advantage of the premiums SD Bullion is buying at, but then noticed that their minimum is really high to sell to them (I'm only looking to unload a handful of ASEs, and a 1/10 oz AGE). JM Bullion's buy prices seem pretty good ($31.82 for ASE, and $221.63 for 1/10oz AGE), and I'm not seeing that they have a minimum.

Anyone have experience selling to them? Positive/negative?

ETA: Here's a link to JM Bullion's listed buy prices: https://www.jmbullion.com/my-account/buyback-products/
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: JM Bullion

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:52 am

A first post attempt yesterday was going to attempt some humor but the post failed to submit, and that's probably for the better! Short answer is no, haven't sold to them (or to anyone, except some minor position trading mostly on RC). Still accumulating; selling will take either a big unusual need or an unexpected sustained loss in income.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:55 am

Sold to Apmex a few times, but never JM. Those buy prices are pretty low. Apmex probably pays more. Also, I try a LCS or a private sale... you'll get much more for those items now with the high premiums dealers are charging.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:18 am

I have no experience with JM but I think its questionable that they would pick a confusingly similar name to Johnson Matthey which is no longer in business.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby stas3000 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:00 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:I have no experience with JM but I think its questionable that they would pick a confusingly similar name to Johnson Matthey which is no longer in business.

The company was founded by Jonathan Wanchalk and Michael Wittmeyer. The business is now owned by A-MARK Precious Metals. I imagine Jim and Mike are doing pretty well after that deal. :)

I've bought very little from them over the years but it was all trouble-free. Never sold to them.
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:39 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Sold to Apmex a few times, but never JM. Those buy prices are pretty low. Apmex probably pays more. Also, I try a LCS or a private sale... you'll get much more for those items now with the high premiums dealers are charging.

The main LCS is paying way lower (stopped by last Friday). Spot for ASE, and below spot for the AGE. They are also selling way lower, lol, so understandable. When I showed them the buy/sell prices online they were gobsmacked.

Thank you for the heads-up with Apmex. I'll look at them.

ETA: Apmex has a minimum of $1K $5K, so unfortunately a no go there.
Last edited by Doctor Steuss on Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:41 am

68Camaro wrote:Still accumulating; selling will take either a big unusual need or an unexpected sustained loss in income.

I have a potential second back surgery on the horizon, so trying to gradually make sure there's extra cash on hand in case for my wife/son should things not go as planned.

Rascally high deducible insurance plan doesn't do any favors either.
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pmbug » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:52 am

JM Bullion has been around for a long time and they have a good reputation. I have bought a little from them over the years and never had any problem. I've never sold to them.

I missed the news on them getting acquired by A-Mark. Good to know.

https://ir.amark.com/news-events/press- ... f-retailer
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu

You can find me ranting at clouds on pmbug.com.
pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:07 am

stas3000 wrote:
Lemon Thrower wrote:I have no experience with JM but I think its questionable that they would pick a confusingly similar name to Johnson Matthey which is no longer in business.

The company was founded by Jonathan Wanchalk and Michael Wittmeyer

Good for Jim and Mike. But you sort of made my point. Odd that they didn't name their company WW Bullion, don't you think?
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby stas3000 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:32 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:
stas3000 wrote:

The company was founded by Jonathan Wanchalk and Michael Wittmeyer

Good for Jim and Mike. But you sort of made my point. Odd that they didn't name their company WW Bullion, don't you think?

I don't know. Never really thought about that. To me JM Bullion never had anything to do with Johnson Matthey. But hey, WW Bullion... that's not too bad! Maybe that's the next business they can start unless A-Mark won't let 'em. :lol:
Accepting payments via Zelle, PPFF, PPGS (add 3.75%), Venmo, cashier/bank check, personal check, concealed cash.
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:37 pm

Scott and Dale are looking to open a business too. lol
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby stas3000 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:40 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:Scott and Dale are looking to open a business too. lol

:thumbup:
stas3000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:36 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:Scott and Dale are looking to open a business too. lol

People in Scottsdale, AZ might be confused if this occurred…
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:10 am

They should probably move their business to Engelhard PA then
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:13 pm

Late to this thread, but was there no one on the site that would purchase what you were looking to sell?
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Doctor Steuss » Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:20 pm

knibloe wrote:Late to this thread, but was there no one on the site that would purchase what you were looking to sell?

Hi knibloe,

I didn't offer them up for sale here. Once factoring in the costs of shipping and insurance, it didn't seem to be worth it (in my head).
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals