Do Coinstar Machines Reject Silver Coins?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Do Coinstar Machines Reject Silver Coins?

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:02 am

I’m very curious about something about Coinstar machines. Do they automatically reject silver coins?

I tried searching this fine site with the words “Coinstar + silver”, but didn’t find anything noteworthy.

Can anyone confirm this definitively? I found what might be a silver Roosevelt dime in the reject tray at a Coinstar machine on Saturday, but it is so mutilated that I can’t read the year or mint mark. So I don’t know if it was rejected because it was silver or if it was because it was so mutilated.

I’m surprised this topic hadn’t been brought up before.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Do Coinstar Machines Reject Silver Coins?

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:51 am

Well, I found a YouTube video by typing “Coinstar silver”. Sorry, don’t know how to post the link, but it was called “What Happens When You Put Silver Into A Coinstar Machine?” It was made by HalfDolla’MakeYouHolla’.

He puts the following eight silver coins into the machine:

War nickel
Mercury dime
Roosevelt dime
Barber qtr.
Standing Liberty qtr.
Washington qtr.
Walking Liberty half
Franklin half

Seven of the eight coins were rejected. The only one accepted was the war nickel. Apparently, war nickels weigh the same as those produced after WWII, exactly 5 grams.

Just an FYI- 40% Kennedy halves weigh almost exactly the same as non-silver Kennedy halves. So it is possible the machine would gobble up a 40% silver half if you ever put one in.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby MaxGravy » Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:23 am

MaxGravy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:41 pm

That’s the video! Thanks Max!

Recyclersteve

Postby Silver4face » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:58 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I’m very curious about something about Coinstar machines. Do they automatically reject silver coins?

I tried searching this fine site with the words “Coinstar + silver”, but didn’t find anything noteworthy.

Can anyone confirm this definitively? I found what might be a silver Roosevelt dime in the reject tray at a Coinstar machine on Saturday, but it is so mutilated that I can’t read the year or mint mark. So I don’t know if it was rejected because it was silver or if it was because it was so mutilated.

I’m surprised this topic hadn’t been brought up before.

This topic has been touched upon in other threads - I've seen it within the last year or two (it would take some digging) but certainly never as an individual thread.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cwgii » Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:21 am

If you are referring to the actual ,coinstar,.I personally never had silver rejects.

Other types, brands, do in fact reject, Some silver.
One poster had a run of finding silver at a truck stop.
cwgii

Postby Silver4face » Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:25 am

cwgii wrote:If you are referring to the actual ,coinstar,.I personally never had silver rejects.

I remember reading that. I told him to go there as often as possible!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:59 pm

Yes silver coins get rejected as with foreign coins, Tokens and lithium button batteries. That's why we check them.
hobo finds

Postby Catfish4u » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:27 pm

I have recently found a 1963 quarter and a steel penny in the reject bins. Some foreign coins also.
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:35 am

Evidently not all coin counting machines have a magnet?
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:07 pm

Yes, I can confirm that coinstar machines are set up to purposely reject out silver coins. There rational, though flawed, is that they are worried about opening up the acceptance parameters and getting filled with non U.S coin.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby fasteddy » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:57 pm

I have found silver US coin in the Coinstar reject tray...My brother found a gold sovereign in one last weekend along with some euros.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:56 am

fasteddy wrote:I have found silver US coin in the Coinstar reject tray...My brother found a gold sovereign in one last weekend along with some euros.

wow

I knew someone who found a $10 indian in a roll of dimes but he worked at the bank.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:15 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:
fasteddy wrote:I have found silver US coin in the Coinstar reject tray...My brother found a gold sovereign in one last weekend along with some euros.

wow

I knew someone who found a $10 indian in a roll of dimes but he worked at the bank.

$10 Indian gold is bigger than a dime. You must mean a $2.50 Indian.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:43 am

Even though it isn’t silver, I thought I’d let everyone know I just got a 1943-P steel cent from a Coinstar machine. Steel cents weigh 2.7 grams instead of the 3.1 gram weight for cents the following year.

Recyclersteve

Postby Silver4face » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:55 pm

Bank machines also sometimes reject steel cents. I've gotten a couple over the years.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:42 am

Those machines must not have a magnet? I guess just some machines have the magnet?
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:05 pm

TD's Penny Arcades (since removed) normally sent silver to the reject bin, but I once was handed a Morgan dollar and a Washington commem. 50 cent piece that had jammed in the sorting tub. So they sometimes made it that far.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Treetop » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:16 am

Silver4face wrote:
cwgii wrote:If you are referring to the actual ,coinstar,.I personally never had silver rejects.

I remember reading that. I told him to go there as often as possible!

I was. Problem was the manager happened to be there once and asked why I bothered. I told him and he told me not to bother because hes taking it all now. I can only assume their machine rejected silver because there wouldnt be that much change but relatively often some silver. Also some bent and mangled coins. The weirder part to me was there was always some undamaged nice shape coins. Always wondered why those got rejected.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:37 am

My most recent CS find included a Mercury dime. The funny part is, it wasn't in the reject bin. It looked like someone either put the coins from the bin up onto the top counter, or, some related event. Either way, that coin SAT THERE IN PLAIN VIEW until I came along!!
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals