Trending on Reddit- Half Dollars

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Trending on Reddit- Half Dollars

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:00 pm

I went into a bank to ask for half dollars to look for the usual- silver. The teller told me I was about the 12th person there today asking for them. He then said they were “trending on Reddit.”

Can someone please find a link to the comments and post it here for all to see? Thanks in advance!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Trending on Reddit- Half Dollars

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:18 pm

Interesting, but I haven't heard that. I don't do reddit anymore.

I remember when Walkers were all the rage.

Fun to dump a $1000FV bag on the bed and roll in them. Don't really need anymore.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:33 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I went into a bank to ask for half dollars to look for the usual- silver. The teller told me I was about the 12th person there today asking for them. He then said they were “trending on Reddit.”

Can someone please find a link to the comments and post it here for all to see? Thanks in advance!

Maybe the r/CRH subreddit?

I peruse that sub sometimes. There is a constant influx of people posting about a war nickel they found or a shiny 1958 wheat cent. As many will find, the cost of gasoline and time and the amount of coins you have to sift through makes this a hobby and not a source of great gains compared to resources used. I just hit up a few banks in my neck of the woods last week and asked for half dollars. All were searched already. I feel like these redditors that jump on the CRH wave will find out real quick that it is 99% of the time not a lot of anything. Thank YouTube, TikTac, Instagram, etc. also for broadcasting this hobby. Pretty sure there are Coin Star entrepreneurs who video going to store Coin Stars and showing coins that they planted in the return slot, lol. I haven't check but that is where this is all going.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:27 pm

Does CRH stand for Coin Roll Hunting?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby pmbug » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:38 am

Recyclersteve wrote:... He then said they were “trending on Reddit.” ...

Sounds like a joke about social media. The teller could have mentioned Twitter/X or Facebook instead, but that's not the point. If I'm correct, it's just ascribing the unusual influx of folks asking for half dollars to a viral social media phenomenon when it could just as easily be a coincidence (they do still happen).
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu

You can find me ranting at clouds on pmbug.com.
pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:42 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Does CRH stand for Coin Roll Hunting?

Yes.

Tons of newbies finding a W quarter and posting! Lol.

We have all been there at one time. Maybe more people will appreciate the soundness of real metal value coins too as they do their coin roll searching....
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:48 am

This trending stuff also happens big time in the stock market. For anyone interested, there is a movie coming out soon about stocks like AMC, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. It is called Dumb Money and I have vowed to watch it at least twice. I absolutely can’t wait to see it, and I’m quite certain that representatives from various hedge funds will be there taking notes and devising counter-strategies for when a stock goes up 500-1,000% in, say, 2-4 weeks.

Recyclersteve

Postby pmbug » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:26 am

Recyclersteve wrote:... and I’m quite certain that representatives from various hedge funds will be there taking notes and devising counter-strategies for when a stock goes up 500-1,000% in, say, 2-4 weeks.

1. Become a r/wallstreetbets memelord
2. ???
3. Profit
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu

You can find me ranting at clouds on pmbug.com.
pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:21 am

pmbug wrote:
Recyclersteve wrote:... and I’m quite certain that representatives from various hedge funds will be there taking notes and devising counter-strategies for when a stock goes up 500-1,000% in, say, 2-4 weeks.

1. Become a r/wallstreetbets memelord
2. ???
3. Profit

I remember when the GME thing was going on in early 2021, trading firms were looking to hiring traders who could use the memes on Wall Street Bets to trade with:

https://www.businessinsider.in/stock-ma ... 775981.cms

Not sure if it was just a joke or publicity stunt.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:04 pm

JerrySpringer wrote:Maybe the r/CRH subreddit?

I peruse that sub sometimes. There is a constant influx of people posting about a war nickel they found or a shiny 1958 wheat cent. As many will find, the cost of gasoline and time and the amount of coins you have to sift through makes this a hobby and not a source of great gains compared to resources used. I just hit up a few banks in my neck of the woods last week and asked for half dollars. All were searched already. I feel like these redditors that jump on the CRH wave will find out real quick that it is 99% of the time not a lot of anything. Thank YouTube, TikTac, Instagram, etc. also for broadcasting this hobby. Pretty sure there are Coin Star entrepreneurs who video going to store Coin Stars and showing coins that they planted in the return slot, lol. I haven't check but that is where this is all going.

Facts. :clap:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals