Pawn buys

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Pawn buys

Postby cwgii » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:38 pm

$40 for 3 Franklin,and a 64

$20 1922 peace.
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Pawn buys

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:16 am

Gotta add a note to this thread about one of my all-time faves, which came ca. 2008-2009 during the financial collapse after watching a man from Florida on CNBC brag about how much high end stuff he was taking in.

I happened to be on vacation and near his very pawn shop, so I ABSOLUTELY HAD TO GO IN!!!

I saw something that didn’t make me rich, but I was absolutely floored nonetheless. They had a box of Kennedy halves and each half was $1, regardless of the date. I looked closer and saw lots of 40% silvers there and (I believe if memory serves) a few 1964’s sprinkled in.

I took and made stacks of 20 coins each, the same amount as in a roll. On top I put a clad coin with the date facing up of course. The 19 coins below the top were all silver. I got something like 90-100 silver halves for $1 each.

They were busy. He could tell I carefully counted the coins. He asked me how many there were. I gave him the cash and walked out. He didn’t count the coins, check them for silver, or anything!

After we left, I proudly told my wife I just got a smoking deal from a pawn shop, which, til then, I thought was virtually impossible!
Last edited by Recyclersteve on Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby thecrazyone » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:21 am

I never find anything of a stellar deal in them.
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:02 am

You'll get MUCH better deals if you simply wait a while. The amount of inventory/supply now compared to April, May and June of this year is like night and day. People are selling PMs to pay bills. Inflation is literally killing people. I'm getting this info from multiple sources and a few LCS I deal with.

I'm expecting big losses in the stock market for the rest of 2023. Residential RE market is going to get smashed too.

Make sure you diversify. At some point food, water and ammo is going to be much more important and valuable.

Buckle up.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:40 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:You'll get MUCH better deals if you simply wait a while. The amount of inventory/supply now compared to April, May and June of this year is like night and day. People are selling PMs to pay bills. Inflation is literally killing people. I'm getting this info from multiple sources and a few LCS I deal with.

I'm expecting big losses in the stock market for the rest of 2023. Residential RE market is going to get smashed too.

Make sure you diversify. At some point food, water and ammo is going to be much more important and valuable.

Buckle up.

The rest of 2023 is a short window - only 3 months. Might your prediction take longer than that? Such as 2024, which is an "election" year.

Part of me actually hopes you're right because I agree with your political/economical thinking. However, a bigger part of me hopes you're wrong because I have family and friends that are significantly invested in the stock market.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:20 pm

Silver4face wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:You'll get MUCH better deals if you simply wait a while. The amount of inventory/supply now compared to April, May and June of this year is like night and day. People are selling PMs to pay bills. Inflation is literally killing people. I'm getting this info from multiple sources and a few LCS I deal with.

Buckle up.

The rest of 2023 is a short window - only 3 months. Might your prediction take longer than that? Such as 2024, which is an "election" year.

Part of me actually hopes you're right because I agree with your political/economical thinking. However, a bigger part of me hopes you're wrong because I have family and friends that are significantly invested in the stock market.

The are many variables and possibilities. If Trump can manage to pull off a miracle and get elected in 2024, a big market crash would be less likely... still, the left would lose their collective mind. The right would never accept another Biden term. There is going to be bad sh*t happening no matter who wins.

I've run multiple scenarios over and over again in my head... major chaos is definitely coming... something will trigger it. Probably a civil/race war, involving mass looting and martial law. If these things happen PMs won't be worth anything to anyone. Guns, ammo, food, water, shelter, clothing and supplies will be all the rage.

Just look at the crime increasing across the US and the world. It's is only getting worse. Law enforcement (what's left of it) will be totally overwhelmed and head for the hills. You guys better have some type of protection for yourselves and families. Don't have a false sense of security just because you live in a rural area... the hungry roving hordes will find you eventually.

I feel most sorry for the people with young kids... :cry:
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby cwgii » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:25 pm

Today I bought a 1 oz , copy of a wheat penny. For $20. Novelty item.
Second was a CDN dollar for $12.
cwgii

Postby Gamecock » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:09 am

I picked up 40 Washingtons at $5 each over the weekend
"When a government overvalues one type of money and undervalues another, the undervalued money will leave the country or disappear from circulation into hoards, while the overvalued money will flood into circulation."
Gamecock
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:21 am

Gamecock wrote:I picked up 40 Washingtons at $5 each over the weekend

Sure hope they were silver…
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby pmbug » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:09 am

thecrazyone wrote:I never find anything of a stellar deal in them.

That's been my experience. However, in spite of having several pawn shops within an easy 5-10 minute drive, I've only looked a few times. The pawn shops near me seem to use some sort of national pricing guide for everything in the store.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu

You can find me ranting at clouds on pmbug.com.
pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby theshoenlebens » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:06 am

pmbug wrote:
thecrazyone wrote:I never find anything of a stellar deal in them.

That's been my experience. However, in spite of having several pawn shops within an easy 5-10 minute drive, I've only looked a few times. The pawn shops near me seem to use some sort of national pricing guide for everything in the store.

Same here, several in the small tiwn where I work. Stopped in several times and basically a bust. Generic rounds at $40. :shock:
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals