Anyone Buying 1/10 oz AGE at 60% Premium?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Anyone Buying 1/10 oz AGE at 60% Premium?

Postby Morsecode » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:32 pm

I see them listed all over ebay/Apmex for $325...ON THE LOW END :?

Add sales tax & shipping just for fun and your up to 75%. What's odd is they seem to be selling.

A friend asked me about maybe picking up 100 $5 eagles and I naively told him to expect to pay around $22,000, with spot gold at $2000 oz.

I guess I'm just slightly behind the times.

:oops: :thumbdown: :oops:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Anyone Buying 1/10 oz AGE at 60% Premium?

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:13 am

Haven't bought any fractional gold in a while. I have a few rolls of those and 1/10oz CMLs that I bought on Apmex when gold dipped to $700oz in 2008, but I haven't bought any from them since then. Got several from my LCS over the years. I also like the $5 Liberties, fractional and you get a bit extra for their numis value.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:32 pm

Nope. No way I would pay that much of a premium. I have some but it's been awhile since I bought any as premiums have been nuts for awhile. Last ones were at a big coin show maybe 3 years ago? where I bought a handful to round out a specific year to satisfy my OCD characteristics, and I think I was paying $180 and I thought that was awful.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Morsecode » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:49 pm

Some years back I was mowing a coin dealer's lawn, and he paid me 2 1/10th oz eagles every two weeks. I seem to recall the usual premium back then was around 10 - 15%. Of course, he was giving them to me at his cost so it was a lot less. Guess I got spoiled :P

But besides the steep premiums, I miss the anonymity of buying/selling in the old days. Paper trails...ugh!
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby pmbug » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:02 am

It has been many years since I bought any 1/10 oz Eagles. The premiums were high back then too, but spot was much lower. The 1/10 oz coins are soo tiny! I think I prefer 1/2 oz better as I am less likely to lose it if it falls out of my hand.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu

You can find me ranting at clouds on pmbug.com.
pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Country » Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:17 pm

As has been mentioned, premiums on these have been high. What I find these days is that the spread between what they will pay you and what they sell them to you has widened considerably in the last few years. I see this across the board on many PM products.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:28 pm

Yes premiums are high, but allow me to add a bit of perspective from when I first started buying 1/10oz AGEs...

I was buying rolls of these in 2003 and 2004. The price back then was about $43-45 each and ppl were telling me: "The premiums are too high on 1/10oz fractional gold!"

Gotta love the "Wayback Machine"!...
https://web.archive.org/web/20040614201749/http://www.apmex.com/shop/shop.asp#20
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:11 pm

APMEX has random 1/10th Leafs $356.00 at $2070.00 spot

Premium now 75%

Somebody is buying them I guess.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals