Gold hitting new highs, but...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Gold hitting new highs, but...

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:54 pm

No one here is talking about it! :shock: :? :?:

Au futures are $2150 as I type this.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Re: Gold hitting new highs, but...

Postby coindood » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:58 pm

Don't wanna jinx things... :lol:
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silver4face » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:56 pm

Gold has dropped 13 dollars in the last hour or so. Is this the beginning of a smash down?
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pmbug » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:41 am

Looks to me like someone got pinched in a short squeeze on the open of Asian trading last night. Gold is settling back down for now but will likely continue to trade higher (not in a straight line obviously!) for the near term. Gold broke through $2,050 resistance and this should set a new floor. Unless the Fed hikes rates again (which no one expects), gold should continue to go up slowly. If the Fed give any hint at cutting rates, gold will likely take off with wings.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu

You can find me ranting at clouds on pmbug.com.
pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:47 pm

Damn, I really did jinx it !
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby pmbug » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:08 pm

FWIW:
... Ewa Manthey, Commodities Strategist at ING.
“Total holdings in bullion-backed ETFs have continued to decline this year despite rising spot prices,” Manthey wrote. “Although global gold ETF outflows continued in October, they were at a slower pace than in September. Year-to-date, global outflows totalled $13 billion, equivalent to a 225-tonne fall in holdings.”

She said that data from the World Gold Council (WGC) showed the lion’s share of these outflows came from European and North American funds, while investment demand in other parts of the world was stronger.

“Looking into 2024, we believe we will see a resurgence of investor interest in the precious metal and a return to net inflows given higher gold prices as US interest rates fall,” Manthey said.

Other areas of the market have already shifted, however. “[N]et-long positioning, reflecting sentiment in the gold market, turned positive in the second half of October as spot prices surged amid the outbreak of the Israel-Hamas conflict,” she noted. “COMEX net-long positionings rose 137% month-on-month to 29 October, supported by the rise in geopolitical concerns.”

When compared to positioning in 2019 and 2020, she said that overall positioning in 2023 looks neutral. “This suggests that there is still plenty of room for speculators to add to their net long in 2024 and push gold prices even higher.”

More:

https://www.kitco.com/news/2023-12-04/G ... nthey.html
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu

You can find me ranting at clouds on pmbug.com.
pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:55 pm

USD was going down, reversed course and headed back up.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:15 pm

68Camaro wrote:USD was going down, reversed course and headed back up.

Nah... it was all me... I jinxed it ! :cry:

Next time I won't say sheet about it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:26 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:

Nah... it was all me... I jinxed it ! :cry:

Next time I won't say sheet about it.

:lol:
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:50 am

Gold (as measured by the GLD exchange traded fund) was looking really good last Friday. But this week, frankly, has NOT been good. A little follow through on good volume in the next 1-2 weeks would get me more excited.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:56 am

I agree with this line of thinking.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals