My Personal Half Dollar Search Results for 2023

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

My Personal Half Dollar Search Results for 2023

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:56 am

Previously I posted search results for Saabman, who searches huge quantities of half dollars including lots of $500 boxes.

I thought it would also be worthwhile to post my own personal search results for 2023- a bit late, but that little thing called life has a habit of getting in the way sometimes...

Here is what I personally did with half dollars for 2023:

Face Value Searched: $4,186.50 (so 8,373 halves)
Walkers and Franklins Found: 41 (excellent results compared with the number of 1964's found!)
1964 Kennedys Found: 9
40% Silvers Found: 81
Total Silvers Found: 131

So, 1.56% of the halves gone through were silver. This is 1 of every 63.9 halves, which was the second best year for me in terms of percentages of silver since 2010. 2019 was slightly better, but the results were skewed by a visit to a single bank which produced 26 of the 39 silvers (2/3 of them) found for the entire year. So 2023 felt better because I had 4 nice trips to the bank (with 8 or more silvers each time) instead of a single one in 2019.

I may have mentioned elsewhere, but, for me, 2004-2010 were bonanza years and 2011-2022 was one mighty long drought. 2023 ended up being a pleasant surprise. That said, I have noticed that it seems like many more banks now have ZERO HALVES OF ANY KIND. I never did track how many banks I go to that have zero halves, but it seems like many fewer have even clad halves. In other words, it seems like there is a lot more work required than during the bonanza years.

For my analysis of the Saabman results, check a posting that I made on 8/15/23. It was then updated early this year to show totals for him for calendar year 2023.

NOTE: I do NOT get rolls of dimes or quarters, as I just haven't had that much luck with them for many years.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: My Personal Half Dollar Search Results for 2023

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:39 pm

41 Walkers and Franklin's, but only 9 JFK's? :?
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby coindood » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:09 pm

Steve, since your results were so contrary to the previous decade, would you consider 2023 a fluke, or a new above average period emerging?
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:10 pm

90 JFK’s, but only 9 were from 1964. It is definitely odd to find more pre-64’s than 64’s!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Morsecode » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:12 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Total Silvers Found: 131

So, comparing that to my results over the same time span...if my math is correct, that would be approx. 131 more than I found. :cry:

:thumbup:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:24 am

Morsecode wrote:

So, comparing that to my results over the same time span...if my math is correct, that would be approx. 131 more than I found. :cry:

:lol:

I gave up searching halves in the early 2000's. I found many 90% and 40% in the 80's and 90's.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:43 am

Steve, thanks for sharing these numbers with us. You had a good year; you averaged more than ten per month.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:52 am

coindood wrote:Steve, since your results were so contrary to the previous decade, would you consider 2023 a fluke, or a new above average period emerging?

Hard to say. I could probably argue either way. I remember during the early COVID times that I thought there would be a lot of older people passing away soon. Add 6-12 months after that for the estate settlement process and I figured that would be a time when lots of coins would be turned into banks. Add to that the fact that crypto gets lots of attention and that too causes coins to be pushed to the back burner. But it never fully materialized like I thought.

Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:54 am

Morsecode wrote:

Hopefully you didn’t need a calculator to do that one! :)

Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:08 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
coindood wrote:Steve, since your results were so contrary to the previous decade, would you consider 2023 a fluke, or a new above average period emerging?

Hard to say. I could probably argue either way. I remember during the early COVID times that I thought there would be a lot of older people passing away soon. Add 6-12 months after that for the estate settlement process and I figured that would be a time when lots of coins would be turned into banks. Add to that the fact that crypto gets lots of attention and that too causes coins to be pushed to the back burner. But it never fully materialized like I thought.

You're a vulture capitalist! :lol:
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Saabman » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:44 am

Great results!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:29 pm

I'm so mad I didn't do this when I had the time and possibly potential better results 15 years ago. I always said I was going to, but just didn't
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals