Jump on it

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Jump on it

Postby Robarons » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:17 pm

Was talking to my dealer friend about one of our transactions about 4 years ago. He had a platinum Eagle 1 oz. Back then platinum was hard to come by and the premiums for eagles were thru the roof, be he wanted to move his so he priced it well. I was just a small time sorter and only bought wheats from the guy for years since I was younger so I dropped a 1 oz gold k-rand and $500 cash for the difference in spot to buy it.

He about had a heart-attack that a young kid who never bought more than $50 at once had a K-rand to make this deal. We did it and the Platinum eagle did well until it didnt- he still brings it up to this day. Even though platinum is much lower now I still would have gotten burnt on the gold- think it was $1400 gold/ $1800 plat
Last edited by Robarons on Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:50 pm

Ah, those glory days of King Platinum. Before that king had assumed the throne, I purchased two 1 ounce Platinum Koalas. Believe I paid $409 each. As I was just a neophyte bullion investor at the time, I planned to ride that platinum spaceship to Infinity and Beyond (courtesy of Buzz Lightyear). Work and parental responsibilities took root and I was guilty of assuming the price per ounce would just keep on going higher.

So much for that. I did sell them for a modest profit, but not even close to what I could've gotten. Lesson learned...and never repeated again. I now follow the markets daily.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:27 pm

Bumping this thread.

Found my password for RealCent after a multi-year absence. Rejoining the discussions.

Silver at about $24.38 as I type this.

Gold is close to ATH.

Copper is looking like a long term buy and hold on the copper cents. May get back into collecting them.

Haven't bought silver since, maybe, 2014 ? Don't even remember. Last time I bought, I think i paid $30 per generic ounce. Did some CRH'ing every now and then but banks have rationed coins and coin counters don't take half dollars any more around here ( Maine).

Is anyone actively buying silver lately?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:12 pm

Welcome back! It has been kind of slow around here but seems to be picking up a bit.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals